What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I could run my extractor at full speed (assuming I use a CVT) off of a single industrial steam engine? Jeez, that seems broken somehow. I'm rather glad that I'll only be using Magnetostatics for cross-dimensional energy transport (assuming someone actually ports the tesseract to 1.7. The lack of direct item, power, and liquid teleport options is quite obnoxious. (Ender Storage still hasn't been updated either... they really need to add an Ender Battery or something to complete the trifecta)

Reactions: YX33A

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I actually looked that up last week, and while it is technically an energy tesseract (even called tesseract IIRC), it's so puny as to barely be worth mentioning. It's got like a 100rf/t limit or something absolutely miniscule, and can't transport liquids or items. Which leaves 1.7 severely limited for multidimensional builds, and completely crippled for interdimensional energy transport.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I actually looked that up last week, and while it is technically an energy tesseract (even called tesseract IIRC), it's so puny as to barely be worth mentioning. It's got like a 100rf/t limit or something absolutely miniscule, and can't transport liquids or items. Which leaves 1.7 severely limited for multidimensional builds, and completely crippled for interdimensional energy transport.
Then I don't know what you're looking at. The EnderIO one works for items, energy, and fluids.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
He meant the first bit, about tesseracts. Ender io has one.
Then I don't know what you're looking at. The EnderIO one works for items, energy, and fluids.
There is conflicting information about this. Both wikis (ftb and enderio) say the Dimensional Transceiver teleports power (no mention of items and fluids) and has a limit of 100 MJ/t, while a newer spotlight demonstrates that they work with power, items, fluid and redstone. Their big downside is that they need power, and that they tax the power they store even while they're not sending anything, so that every Dimensional Transceiver is a constant drain on your power.

Reactions: TomeWyrm

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
http://wiki.enderio.com/Dimensional_Transceiver
http://ftbwiki.org/Dimensional_Transceiver

Blame the wikis? I did boot into 1.7.2 with the latest version and it does indeed say power, fluids, and items. I'll test it for limits here in a moment.

Edit: The limit for a transceiver is somewhere between 1k and 2k RF per tick

Which is pretty darned insignificant IMHO. I put out more than that with a single railcraft boiler, and I'm pretty sure that the AE dimensional wormhole doodad (Quantum Link thingy? Dunno why I can't remember the proper name of anything lately) requires more than that to be powered. I also didn't test the parallelization ability of the transceivers (basically whether it's a channel limit, or a side-output limit).

Though I did determine if I ever need a prodigiously stupid amount of power I should use capacitor banks as cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: E_DM_B

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
[...]the AE dimensional wormhole doodad (Quantum Link thingy? Dunno why I can't remember the proper name of anything lately) requires more than that to be powered.
Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure the quantum link chamber (in AE2!) can consume power from the other side of the link once it gets an initial charge-up, and you can use P2P tunnels through it. Somewhat expensive, but another way to transfer power, fluids, items, etc..

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Edit: The limit for a transceiver is somewhere between 1k and 2k RF per tick
Did you use enhanced energy conduits instead of the basic ones? "between 1 and 2 kRF" sounds suspiciously like the limit of the basic conduits (1280 RF/t).

Though I did determine if I ever need a prodigiously stupid amount of power I should use capacitor banks as cables.
How much can they output per tick? Also, I very much doubt that the quantum link chamber needs more than 1 kRF/t. That would be pretty crippling for something that needs to be continuously active.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
How much can they output per tick? Also, I very much doubt that the quantum link chamber needs more than 1 kRF/t. That would be pretty crippling for something that needs to be continuously active.
Iirc 1000 rf/t per capacitor bank block in the structure.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Please, PLEASE, specify which wiki. For a second I thought someone covered the dimensional transciver for me.
It transports power, fluids, and items. I know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Padfoote

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Please, PLEASE, specify which wiki. For a second I thought someone covered the dimensional transciver for me.

So settle this for us, how much energy can it transfer per tick?

The *other* wiki says 100MJ/t but I'm thinking that may be outdated a little?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
BOTH wikis are horribly outdated. FTB and the "official". I directly linked to both pages, for ease of demonstration.

Did you use enhanced energy conduits instead of the basic ones? "between 1 and 2 kRF" sounds suspiciously like the limit of the basic conduits (1280 RF/t).

The between 1k and 2k RF/t is via testing with a pair of creative capacitor banks, an energy transfer node, and a regular (if large) capacitor bank, going into the bank's GUI and mucking with the "output" value. Which apparently won't let me use values that don't have every number except the first be 0. So the most precision I could get with my test setup was 1000-2000. At 2000 it was losing energy, at 1000 it was gaining. The Extra Utilities energy node can pull WAY more than 1k rf/t. It took three of them to drain the power output of a Nether Star Generator back in 1.6. Which means somewhere between 20k and 13k RF/t, and they appear to have gotten faster by default in 1.7.

Just for illustration that would be Creative Capacitor Bank --> Dimensional Transceiver set to send energy on a frequency --> Dimensional Transceiver set to receive on the same frequency embedded in a very large capacitor bank so all 6 sides are touching the bank --> Extra Utilities Energy node (unupgraded) next to an "output" face --> 1 Extra Utilities Energy Pipe --> 1 creative Capacitor Bank.

I let some power buffer up in the regular Capacitor Bank, then plopped an energy cable from XU between the creative bank and the node. When the bank was outputting to the node at 1k the buffer in the capacitor bank was going up. When it was outputting at 2k, the buffer was going down. I really didn't feel like duplicating the setup for the controlled drain 10 or 100 more times to get more precised than "somewhere in the 1-2k range". Because 1k is CRAZY low for something like that in my setups.

=====

As for your second question, I checked AE1's wiki (I really didn't feel like booting up AE2 and testing, I know that AlgorithmX2's wiki on the AE site is accurate for AE1. You cannot power the Quantum Link Bridge via controller from either side, it does not accept power from an ME Power Relay, and requires 200 AE units/t ( 40 mj/t, 100 eu/t, 4 kj/t, 400 RF/t ) PER BRIDGE. Which does indeed mean that the enderio DimTran (getting horribly tired of typing the full name out) would work for a pair of them. Depending on where precisely the limit is applied, that either might be plenty or not very much.
If it's applied over the entire channel? Not enough to do much of squat at the power levels I play around with. At least not for a diamond and octadic capacitor per DimTran.
If it's applied per input face? As in the channel can transmit infinite, and each face can output infinite? That's really obnoxious, but I can work around it with generator/dynamo/engine spam... if the price wasn't quite so irritating (Sorry, the octadic is a pain to craft as an upgrade chain with no skips)
If it's applied to the output face? That I can live with. MOST of my builds won't need to draw 2k RF/t each, and any that do I can wrap cables around for extra output, or add more DimTrans, grumbling all the while.

=====

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure the quantum link chamber (in AE2!) can consume power from the other side of the link once it gets an initial charge-up, and you can use P2P tunnels through it. Somewhat expensive, but another way to transfer power, fluids, items, etc..

If so, that would indeed work reasonably for item and liquid transport, but unless he changed the P2P tunnels, they're a bear to type when you're working with power, and have a rather low transmit limit as well. Also that's a rather steep energy tax unless you're powering the whole thing via a Big Reactor or something from Reactorcraft :)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
BOTH wikis are horribly outdated. FTB and the "official". I directly linked to both pages, for ease of demonstration.

The between 1k and 2k RF/t is via testing with a pair of creative capacitor banks, an energy transfer node, and a regular (if large) capacitor bank, going into the bank's GUI and mucking with the "output" value. Which apparently won't let me use values that don't have every number except the first be 0. So the most precision I could get with my test setup was 1000-2000. At 2000 it was losing energy, at 1000 it was gaining. The Extra Utilities energy node can pull WAY more than 1k rf/t. It took three of them to drain the power output of a Nether Star Generator back in 1.6. Which means somewhere between 20k and 13k RF/t, and they appear to have gotten faster by default in 1.7.

Just for illustration that would be Creative Capacitor Bank --> Dimensional Transceiver set to send energy on a frequency --> Dimensional Transceiver set to receive on the same frequency embedded in a very large capacitor bank so all 6 sides are touching the bank --> Extra Utilities Energy node (unupgraded) next to an "output" face --> 1 Extra Utilities Energy Pipe --> 1 creative Capacitor Bank.

I let some power buffer up in the regular Capacitor Bank, then plopped an energy cable from XU between the creative bank and the node. When the bank was outputting to the node at 1k the buffer in the capacitor bank was going up. When it was outputting at 2k, the buffer was going down. I really didn't feel like duplicating the setup for the controlled drain 10 or 100 more times to get more precised than "somewhere in the 1-2k range". Because 1k is CRAZY low for something like that in my setups.

=====

As for your second question, I checked AE1's wiki (I really didn't feel like booting up AE2 and testing, I know that AlgorithmX2's wiki on the AE site is accurate for AE1. You cannot power the Quantum Link Bridge via controller from either side, it does not accept power from an ME Power Relay, and requires 200 AE units/t ( 40 mj/t, 100 eu/t, 4 kj/t, 400 RF/t ) PER BRIDGE. Which does indeed mean that the enderio DimTran (getting horribly tired of typing the full name out) would work for a pair of them. Depending on where precisely the limit is applied, that either might be plenty or not very much.
If it's applied over the entire channel? Not enough to do much of squat at the power levels I play around with. At least not for a diamond and octadic capacitor per DimTran.
If it's applied per input face? As in the channel can transmit infinite, and each face can output infinite? That's really obnoxious, but I can work around it with generator/dynamo/engine spam... if the price wasn't quite so irritating (Sorry, the octadic is a pain to craft as an upgrade chain with no skips)
If it's applied to the output face? That I can live with. MOST of my builds won't need to draw 2k RF/t each, and any that do I can wrap cables around for extra output, or add more DimTrans, grumbling all the while.

=====

If so, that would indeed work reasonably for item and liquid transport, but unless he changed the P2P tunnels, they're a bear to type when you're working with power, and have a rather low transmit limit as well. Also that's a rather steep energy tax unless you're powering the whole thing via a Big Reactor or something from Reactorcraft :)
I'm talking of the official FTB wiki. wiki.feed-the-beast.com

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
There is a page for EnderIO. It's Ender IO on the official wiki, not EnderIO as there was conflicting information.
I also don't think that you comprehend what I said. I thought someone did it for me.
EDIT: Ta-freaking-da. http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Ender_IO