What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Hey all o/

I'm just starting to dabble in RotaryCraft. I told myself I'd spend some time to sit down and learn this mod, and ReactorCraft. It's my eventual goal to actually build a reactor of some sort. Fusion is the idea but if I don't enjoy the mod I might step away from it.

So anyway, I made a Steel oven thingie and made a bunch of HSLA Steel Ingots. Now I'm kinda wondering what my *goal* is. I have 5x ore production from Mekanism, and I hear the ore production from RC is really nice. So I'm interested in that. But what else is there to enrich my gameplay? Obviously I'm speaking on an end-game level, otherwise I wouldn't be messing with a mod that seems to have a high barrier to entry (somebody quoted me "Siigari, with all your 10,000+ steel it's just a drop in the bucket of the RC world.")

I'm not looking so much for different ways to do things I can already accomplish, but I'd like to find new ways to do new things, I guess.

So yeah, what's the point? ;D It'd be nice to hear some thoughts.

Tornado3019

Jul 29, 2019
RC's machines can be pumped to the limi- Oh wait... There is no limit to how much power you can pump into them. That's the biggest thing about this mod, you could put an entire fusion reactor worth of power into an RC miner and it would pump out items so damn fast an interface wouldn't handle it

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
rotarycraft can be very op when you have enough power and resources ! just look at reikas sp world and you will see!
i like overpowered stuff. :)

Reactions: Dezz and Padfoote

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
*draws pentagram*
HERE IS THE SYMBOL OF POWER
HERE IS WHERE WE SUMMON...
THE ROCKET SCIENTIST
@Reika

Alright, from my knowledge (where I ended up getting a new PC and am now playing a pack without RoC)
You can turn a desert to glass with one machine
Have autominers producing over 4000 items a second
5x ore processing
And i think I saw hard light bridges as well.
Also the reactor is from the RotaryCraft addon ReactorCraft ;)

There are many possibilities
Also, if you are in singleplayer the fusion reactor will take months, Reika labelled it as a "community project" and the sheer amount of time and resources required to make it are insane, but it can produce enough power to run every TE machine for every person on a server of 40

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
*draws pentagram*
HERE IS THE SYMBOL OF POWER
HERE IS WHERE WE SUMMON...
THE ROCKET SCIENTIST
@Reika

Alright, from my knowledge (where I ended up getting a new PC and am now playing a pack without RoC)
You can turn a desert to glass with one machine
Have autominers producing over 4000 items a second
5x ore processing
And i think I saw hard light bridges as well.
Also the reactor is from the RotaryCraft addon ReactorCraft ;)

There are many possibilities
Also, if you are in singleplayer the fusion reactor will take months, Reika labelled it as a "community project" and the sheer amount of time and resources required to make it are insane, but it can produce enough power to run every TE machine for every person on a server of 40
Within RotaryCraft alone, there are over 123 machines, many of which have no counterparts in other mods. These range from farming to weaponry to automation to decoration to surveying to processing. Some of the highlights:
  • A mining machine that can ultimately mine up to 700 blocks a second with sufficient power, and can mine through bedrock with enough torque
  • A light bridge
  • An ore processing machine that gets 5.1x duplication (average) for most ores, 9.3x on Nether ores, and 13.1x on rare ores, plus bonus products
  • Automated farming and replanting in one machine (+ power supply)
  • A way to compress coal to diamonds without needing any other materials
  • Engines that can produce up to 67MW (11923 RF/t)
  • An item vacuum that can suck in items from 128+ blocks away with enough power
  • A fertilizer which can accelerate crop growth over 1000x with enough power, water, and bonemeal/fertilizer
  • The ability to hack a monster spawner to spawn up to 80 mobs a second
  • Automated animal breeding
  • A woodcutter which can infinitely cut and replant trees, including things like Natura redwoods (given enough power and time)
  • A force field which can repel meteors, TNT, mobs, ICBMs, and just about everything else
  • A mounted railgun which can deal massive entity (and terrain) damage
  • A device to heat a vanilla furnace, both bypassing the need for fuel and accelerating its smelting, up to 20 items a second
  • An EMP to knock out machines, spawners, and other TileEntities in a large radius (insane power requirement)
  • An automated, rapidfire, more powerful arrow dispenser
  • A defoliator to clear large areas of vegetation, often quickly
  • A lava-powered furnace to smelt up to 18 items at a time, at vanilla furnace speed
  • Instant item transport ducting, which can transfer an unlimited number of items per unit time (dependent on the power input)
  • A terraformer which can mimic worldgen of the biomes it is changing
  • Infinite-durability tools which also have special abilities (instant tree cutting, silk touch on spawners and any ore, a bedrock grafter...)
  • An assortment of charged tools, which range from a motion tracker to an ultrasound (ore finding) to a gravel gun (can deal 250+ hearts of damage)

With ReactorCraft, you get the ability to scale up the power generation, up to over 10 million RF/t with the fusion reactor.

Also, the fusion reactor only took me a week.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Within RotaryCraft alone, there are over 123 machines, many of which have no counterparts in other mods. These range from farming to weaponry to automation to decoration to surveying to processing. Some of the highlights:
  • A mining machine that can ultimately mine up to 700 blocks a second with sufficient power, and can mine through bedrock with enough torque
  • A light bridge
  • An ore processing machine that gets 5.1x duplication (average) for most ores, 9.3x on Nether ores, and 13.1x on rare ores, plus bonus products
  • Automated farming and replanting in one machine (+ power supply)
  • A way to compress coal to diamonds without needing any other materials
  • Engines that can produce up to 67MW (11923 RF/t)
  • An item vacuum that can suck in items from 128+ blocks away with enough power
  • A fertilizer which can accelerate crop growth over 1000x with enough power, water, and bonemeal/fertilizer
  • The ability to hack a monster spawner to spawn up to 80 mobs a second
  • Automated animal breeding
  • A woodcutter which can infinitely cut and replant trees, including things like Natura redwoods (given enough power and time)
  • A force field which can repel meteors, TNT, mobs, ICBMs, and just about everything else
  • A mounted railgun which can deal massive entity (and terrain) damage
  • A device to heat a vanilla furnace, both bypassing the need for fuel and accelerating its smelting, up to 20 items a second
  • An EMP to knock out machines, spawners, and other TileEntities in a large radius (insane power requirement)
  • An automated, rapidfire, more powerful arrow dispenser
  • A defoliator to clear large areas of vegetation, often quickly
  • A lava-powered furnace to smelt up to 18 items at a time, at vanilla furnace speed
  • Instant item transport ducting, which can transfer an unlimited number of items per unit time (dependent on the power input)
  • A terraformer which can mimic worldgen of the biomes it is changing
  • Infinite-durability tools which also have special abilities (instant tree cutting, silk touch on spawners and any ore, a bedrock grafter...)
  • An assortment of charged tools, which range from a motion tracker to an ultrasound (ore finding) to a gravel gun (can deal 250+ hearts of damage)

With ReactorCraft, you get the ability to scale up the power generation, up to over 10 million RF/t with the fusion reactor.

Also, the fusion reactor only took me a week.

I think that those are all... VERY subjective things, as in, what are counted as 'good' design or gameplay...
Personally, I think close to all of them are really bad game design, and break design ethics, and some of the major parts of minecraft...
Just because a machine you added does something "better" doesn't meant that its a more fun thing to do, which is what this game comes down to in the end :/
For example, the Bedrock tools, they break close to all parts of why tools actually exist... and they aren't even hard to get (I made a pick from just scrounging from dungeons)
And then more things like "Smelt up to 18 items at a time" all come into "I can do this better so it must be better" or something like that.. <,<

But yeah, thats my thoughts on Rotarycraft... it has a few interesting mechanics, but the point of those mechanics are to go "I do this more efficiently/faster" which turns into a major downfall for the mod, and also realism... but thats another matter xD
I personally think its about doing basic engineering (which i found was just "add in more machines", when i played it) to preform tasks which have been done quite a lot, in a different manner, and "better" than the other mods :/

(Before anyone goes "OMG BUT THERES THIS MECHANIC" read what i said again :p, i said it has a few interesting mechanics, which will be those things)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
For example, the Bedrock tools, they break close to all parts of why tools actually exist... and they aren't even hard to get (I made a pick from just scrounging from dungeons)
How did you get the bedrock dust?

"I do this more efficiently/faster" which turns into a major downfall for the mod
...Are you saying it is better to be slow and/or inefficient? I do not see how that is in any way appealing.

and also realism...
That is the core design tenet of the mod. It is of course perfectly fine to not prefer it, but to call it "a major downfall" is both harsh and extremely subjective. By that very same logic, I could say that research and aspects are a major downfall of ThaumCraft, that the focus on streamlining (and resultant removal of all animations, sounds, and deliberate throttling of machines) is a downfall of TE3, that excessive difficulty is the downfall of GT (and a lot of other mods). In other words, to say that it is somehow "wrong" to have a mod designed a certain way comes across very negatively.
I realize that you are not alone - I had one other developer say to my face that the idea of a realistic mod was "kind of stupid" - but this is opinion, not fact, and do not treat the former as the latter.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
How did you get the bedrock dust?

...Are you saying it is better to be slow and/or inefficient? I do not see how that is in any way appealing.

That is the core design tenet of the mod. It is of course perfectly fine to not prefer it, but to call it "a major downfall" is both harsh and extremely subjective. By that very same logic, I could say that research and aspects are a major downfall of ThaumCraft, that the focus on streamlining (and resultant removal of all animations, sounds, and deliberate throttling of machines) is a downfall of TE3, that excessive difficulty is the downfall of GT (and a lot of other mods). In other words, to say that it is somehow "wrong" to have a mod designed a certain way comes across very negatively.
I realize that you are not alone - I had one other developer say to my face that the idea of a realistic mod was "kind of stupid" - but this is opinion, not fact, and do not treat the former as the latter.

I found the Bedrock dust in dungeons.

Slow and inefficient or fast and efficient makes no difference in the end tbh, as long as its appealing, unique and fun mechanics to play with :)

I understand that its a major part of the mod, and a major downfall is a wrong way to say it, but at times, it feels as if trying to stay with the theme of realism hurts the mods gameplay in the long run, things seem limited, or weird having to stay under that constraint.
Sorry about that, btw :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I found the Bedrock dust in dungeons.
I must have added that long ago, before the techtree had taken shape. I will remove that.

Slow and inefficient or fast and efficient makes no difference in the end tbh, as long as its appealing, unique and fun mechanics to play with :)
To a point. Increased output - especially when dealing with automation - is almost always desirable, as the popularity of the RC Extractor, Fans, and Fertilizer, the AE MAC, and ReactorCraft or BigReactors reactors will attest to. It is no fun having to wait around for 30 minutes to process a stack of items.

but at times, it feels as if trying to stay with the theme of realism hurts the mods gameplay in the long run
I go to great lengths to avoid this. If you mean excessive complexity (likely in the power system or getting something working), that is more the nature of shaft power itself (as opposed to the other systems which are actually energy). Also, as one person put it (describing the fission reactors), "Yes, this is going to get extremely complicated, but that is what makes it fun".

There are only two easily identifiable and possibly detrimental results from the realism focus; one is the rejection of features that do not fit this category, and the other is some level of computational load. Recent tests seem to suggest, however, it is in fact the RC rendering that is more intensive than the machines, with infrequent exceptions outside of extreme circumstances.

Reactions: Padfoote