What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Why can we not just agree to disagree? Most mods come from a standpoint of "I don't like this." and are spawned from a persons playstyle, but chances are, that play style may be what others are looking for as'well. Everyone has a different idea of balance, and mine (despite the subject) Leans towards a somewhat casual, easy peasy, side that looks for challenge from a creature, rather than difficulty from machines... But others may dislike that idea and will shun it completely... Part of game design, is "who is your targeted audiance" and in the end... without really thinking about it, will be people with similar interest to that mod author. Although differences will occur, the fact that they are playing, enjoying, and supporting the mod does mean there is interest. That people enjoy this playstyle and thought process. You may not agree with a mod or it's intent, but other may do so.

Being able to respect that is what's important... When someone asks something like the op asks.. it's hard to keep fact and opinions separate. It can also lead to confusion. Keep it clear, simple and to the point, as you may scare someone away from something they may actually like based on how it's described.

Reactions: Dezz

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Most mods come from a standpoint of "I don't like this." and are spawned from a persons playstyle
This. And I can say with certainty that RC is designed like mine.

You should have seen what I did in vanilla. I had such large and fast redstone autofarms that I singlehandedly inflated the economy of every server I played on, often to the point of them banning redstone, or farms, or me.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
rotarycraft is pretty fun but its too easy to get bedrock tools. like once you make a blast furnace you then make a worktable, then a grinder and magnetostatic engine, then make lube, then make your gearbox and bevels, and last bedrock breaker. make shafts as needed. too easy not enough filler. also the fact that most of the cool weapons can destroy your base is a major down fall.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
rotarycraft is pretty fun but its too easy to get bedrock tools. like once you make a blast furnace you then make a worktable, then a grinder and magnetostatic engine, then make lube, then make your gearbox and bevels, and last bedrock breaker. make shafts as needed. too easy not enough filler. also the fact that most of the cool weapons can destroy your base is a major down fall.

Not that easy anymore. Magnetostatics have been adjusted to the point that you have to go down the RotaryCraft tech tree in order to get bedrock, and you cannot power a bedrock breaker with magnetostatics without first having access to bedrock. Plus, the bedrock breaker was just bumped up to a requirement of 2 MW to run (if I'm remembering the change log correctly).

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Not that easy anymore. Magnetostatics have been adjusted to the point that you have to go down the RotaryCraft tech tree in order to get bedrock, and you cannot power a bedrock breaker with magnetostatics without first having access to bedrock. Plus, the bedrock breaker was just bumped up to a requirement of 2 MW to run (if I'm remembering the change log correctly).

im using the newest version of monster that to my knowledge came out and what i listed is how i started mining bedrock. also the masgnetostatic makes 2MW at its second highest setting throw a 1:8 gearbox in front of it and you meet the requirements.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
im using the newest version of monster that to my knowledge came out and what i listed is how i started mining bedrock. also the masgnetostatic makes 2MW at its second highest setting throw a 1:8 gearbox in front of it and you meet the requirements.

Monster is on v19. The newest is v22.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism is good for regular ore processing but it's still worth getting a RoC setup for processing the things Mekanism doesn't (yet) multiply like pitchblend and Thaumcraft shard ores for one example.

I'm not sure if the resource cost is worth it for you OP but you have a mechanism ore processing setup that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the RoC balance thing, RoC does a lot of things right but a few little things make it broken but they are easily remediable. If you feel bedrock tools are cheap then you really aren't forced to use them, it's one of those cases where that advice is warrented.

In large modpacks FTB makes you often end up with cases of not needing to pursue a mod at all as the functions they provide are already taken care of. I'd say the point of RoC is to play it if you like it. If you don't like it nor see the point in pursuing the mod then don't.

Bah! Quit saying RC, say RoC instead! Railcraft was first :p

Also this...

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
to be exact the version in monster is 19b which going by file timestamps was made mid to late march...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
to be exact the version in monster is 19b which going by file timestamps was made mid to late march...

That timestamp is when the pack was put together. Plus, I would think the mod author would know when he released a version of his own mod.

Reactions: christhereaper

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
That timestamp is when the pack was put together. Plus, I would think the mod author would know when he released a version of his own mod.

he would but thats not the version in monster.
He was referring to how old the newest version of Monster is, not how old the version of RoC in the newest version of Monster is.
and yes this

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
he would but thats not the version in monster.

v19 is in Monster, which is what both myself and Reika are talking about. v19b is probably (at most) a week younger than v19, which isn't a big enough difference to even mention.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
He was referring to how old the newest version of Monster is, not how old the version of RoC in the newest version of Monster is.
Fair enough, but that parameter is irrelevant. What matters is that Monster is 4 months out of date for RC, missing major improvements from bugfixes to features to performance upgrades, a great number of which were added in v20.

Not to mention all functioning versions of ElectriCraft.

Reactions: psp and Padfoote

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Let's see, this is RotaryCraft v21b in our custom pack. We also have uh, ReactorCraft v21. I wasn't actually aware of ElectricCraft until a few days ago, and then I started wondering about all this stuff.

The thing is we have our world now fully rendered and everything, so I'm not quite sure what sort of impact adding it (electriccraft) would be. Also, I watched a few of those vids and somewhere you mentioned you tweaked a config somewhere to allow crafting from stuff other than the worktable? Or something like AE crafting. How can I do that for our pack?

Cool videos by the way. The item vacuum looks potentially awesome, and so does setting it up. To me it just comes to a point of how big and how much resource production do I actually need?

I've been so busy with our server that I haven't actually had a lot of time to play for myself. In two full days the most I've done is made a Steel Furnace thing, Worktable, a Dynometer and a DC Engine. I haven't even made anything else from other mods LOL :D So I flip it on occasionally and listen to it whirr. That's fun, haha.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I absolutely love RotaryCraft. I have two boring machines constantly running which makes me work hard to make sure my AE storage system can handle the input :)

I do consider the bedrock tools slightly OP. I still love using them but I personally wouldn't have minded that they were either still a bit harder to get (it is already harder in recent versions of RoC but it is still not that hard to get them in early game, Just make a lubricant production and 4 hydrokinetic engines and you have enough power for it) or else bring down the power a bit.

But still, that's a minor thing IMHO. Overall the mod is really great IMHO