What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Water being hydrokinetic or steam? If the former, was this after hydrokinetics got nerfed (started requiring lubricant)? Or, if the latter, how did you run everything off of 16kW engines without simply spamming them?

I spammed them. Why wouldn't I? They're efficient and easy to fuel. I used the hydros to get started but once I could, I just started spamming the gas engines.

I eventually hit a point where I hurt the server tho, so I submit I was playing in a brutal "this is SSP/Sparta" sort of style. I think in total I logged about 7 hours on that world.

This IS, by the way, about ~30 days ago that I finished this. So I fully admit my snapshot of the mechanics may be out of date in subtle ways.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I spammed them. Why wouldn't I? They're efficient and easy to fuel. I used the hydros to get started but once I could, I just started spamming the gas engines.

I eventually hit a point where I hurt the server tho, so I submit I was playing in a brutal "this is SSP/Sparta" sort of style. I think in total I logged about 7 hours on that world.

This IS, by the way, about ~30 days ago that I finished this. So I fully admit my snapshot of the mechanics may be out of date in subtle ways.
Then this is not really unique to RC, though. Anything can be spammed enough to the point where it eclipses the need for higher-tier mechanics unless there is a specific check to block that. Look at how people used to spam redstone engines until they were banned from connecting to conductive pipes.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Then this is not really unique to RC, though. Anything can be spammed enough to the point where it eclipses the need for higher-tier mechanics unless there is a specific check to block that. Look at how people used to spam redstone engines until they were banned from connecting to conductive pipes.

Well, to contrast, TE3 sort of embraced that you will spam engines, and designed around such considerations. It's expected you will spam engines.

Eventually Greg figured out how to get around the engine-spam problem that IC2 had, too.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I only have one problem with RotaryCraft ... and I'm not posting this out of spite, as I love Reika's work.

It murders my VGA, digs up its corpse, resurrects it, and murders it again just to be sure.

I seem to be able to handle a base chock full of stuff no problem at 50+ fps. Plonk in a single RoC machine, and it dips to 20'ish and stays there. It's the only thing that has kept me from going anywhere with that mod.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I only have one problem with RotaryCraft ... and I'm not posting this out of spite, as I love Reika's work.

It murders my VGA, digs up its corpse, resurrects it, and murders it again just to be sure.

I seem to be able to handle a base chock full of stuff no problem at 50+ fps. Plonk in a single RoC machine, and it dips to 20'ish and stays there. It's the only thing that has kept me from going anywhere with that mod.

That's strange. My base has the following RoC machines:
  • One solar tower with height 10 and 120 mirrors
  • 8 hydrokinetic engines
  • 4 extractors running constantly
  • 3 fans running constantly
  • 1 item vacuum
  • 2 Grinders running constantly
  • A mob harvester
  • A few DC engines
  • A few steam engines
  • Lots of magnetostatic engines to power my machines
  • Two boring machines constantly operating
In addition I also have several other machines from other mods:
  • One 7x7 Big Reactor
  • A whole bunch of TE machines (with about 10 furnaces)
  • A few MFR machines
And I have no performance issues at all.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Well it's very probable to be my PC / VGA not being able to handle the pure awesomeness. Not blaming the mod itself.

RoC has the most detailed models I've ever seen in a mod - so it does have a high polygon count compared to other stuff - and java handling the whole deal doesn't exactly help.

Thing is, that's what happens to me, and makes it frustrating :(

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Well it's very probable to be my PC / VGA not being able to handle the pure awesomeness. Not blaming the mod itself.

RoC has the most detailed models I've ever seen in a mod - so it does have a high polygon count compared to other stuff - and java handling the whole deal doesn't exactly help.

Thing is, that's what happens to me, and makes it frustrating :(
VGA is a (very old) color codec. Do you mean GPU?

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Semantics.

You know what I mean :p

I'm an IT Admin dealing with a lot tech-idiot people. For some reason people understand what a VGA is, but they stare at me if I say GPU - so I got into the habit of calling it a VGA by default.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Semantics.

You know what I mean :p

I'm an IT Admin dealing with a lot tech-idiot people. For some reason people understand what a VGA is, but they stare at me if I say GPU - so I got into the habit of calling it a VGA by default.
Recent testing has indicated that it is in fact the rendering that is the main load from a lot of RC content, yes.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Only exception to it: the pipes. That's the single thing i truely hate and i keep shouting bad words at them. They're so huge you can't click through, they break at the slightest mistake since even a bare hand will instantly destroy them, their buffer is so huge it's impossible to know what's going on exactly in the system (my fission reactor boilers ran out of water after two weeks of running 24/24 because the pipes had so much water stored i had no clue my water output wasn't enough), they seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to interacting with other mods and machines and they're ugly (ok, that point is my own taste). I could go on for hours about how i hate them, lol. Their only saving grace is their high speed with no server performance hit, unlike Extra Utilities pipes that completely destroy the server TPS once they're stacked for speed.
1) Agreed; I have to break a pipe any time I want to look at the block below. Hopefully Reika tweaks the interaction-shape (whatever its called; collision shape?) for these at some point.
2) First time I've ever seen Reika "like" someone else's post. Neat.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
VGA is a (very old) color codec. Do you mean GPU?

Very old? :(

I remember when I was incredibly stoked to play Hero Quest in EGA. It was SO much better than CGA! My hero's hair was no longer magenta.

Holy crap EGA and Wing Commander. I can still hear the square waves.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Very old? :(

I remember when I was incredibly stoked to play Hero Quest in EGA. It was SO much better than CGA! My hero's hair was no longer magenta.

Holy crap EGA and Wing Commander. I can still hear the square waves.
Don't you mean Quest for Glory? :p

You must be around 37yrs old btw :p Your gaming list looks suspiciously familiar. Go Kilrathi!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Don't you mean Quest for Glory? :p

Ahh yes. It has "been awhile" "as they say."

You must be around 37yrs old btw :p Your gaming list looks suspiciously familiar. Go Kilrathi!

34. I was a precocious child and my dad worked for Verbatim at the time, which was in the habit of handing out free 286s to employees with kids on the premise that it'd make them grow up to be Verbatim employees.

Filthy ape! Btw the only reason that game is fresh in my mind is because I finally got to finish Strike Suit Zero, which feels to me like everything that franchise could have been sans storytelling.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh yes. It has "been awhile" "as they say."

34. I was a precocious child and my dad worked for Verbatim at the time, which was in the habit of handing out free 286s to employees with kids on the premise that it'd make them grow up to be Verbatim employees.

Filthy ape! Btw the only reason that game is fresh in my mind is because I finally got to finish Strike Suit Zero, which feels to me like everything that franchise could have been sans storytelling.
What is a 268
And what is Verbatim?

Reactions: kittle

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
What is a 268
And what is Verbatim?

286s are very old specs of intel processors, the mistakes of which still haunt Intel to this day. They were famous for having "turbo buttons" because many programs did not take well to having an increased processor clock. I had a bootleg copy of Donkey Kong. When you hit the Turbo Button, it looked like Mario was a human blender whirling away.

Verbatim is a company which I think 3M bought. They pioneered R/W optimal media and high density data storage.

That freebie was nowhere near as cool as the free NeXT Color Station my dad brought home from his next job.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Verbatim is a company which I think 3M bought. They pioneered R/W optimal media and high density data storage.

heh, "floptical" drives. I remember when they tried to get those to catch on. verbatim made the most reliable disks. i've still got my old 486 with an LS120 drive.

remember when this was cutting edge?
Creative%20Wave%20Blaster%20II%20DB%20CT1910_resize.jpg

there was a night and day difference. :eek: