What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Heh. So I updated monster to 1.1.2 and I have a new world with the new update to RC. I've decided to basically try and do as much as possible with it, just to break out of my usual TE3/quarryplus routine.

I did my usual startup routine though, got TiCO and Thaumcraft on the go and i'm basically wondering what the next early-game priority should be. Blast furnace is a given, but to make HSLA steel I need gunpowder, this either means starting MFR and making a creeper spawner or finding a source of sulfur. Easiest way for that I reckon is to pulverise coal (which i sort of need to do either way if i'm making gunpowder), so I'm back to TE3 already. *scratches chin*

And then mid-game, should I delve into reactorcraft earlyish or make an RF source and start working up through the Tiers of Magnetostatic engines. *ponders*

The good news is that you don't really go through a lot of gunpowder at all. It doesn't consume every cycle. And I strongly suspect Reika made it even more friendly at some point because I have been creating tons of steel with a small amount of gunpowder.

Bonus points if you can get far w/o magnetostatics btw.

If you have the iron/steel for it, I'd probably recommend some passive energy (wind/solar), dump it into ElectriCraft batteries (if you have that installed...you do, right?) so you can be ready to Extract your minings when you resurface.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Heh. So I updated monster to 1.1.2 and I have a new world with the new update to RC. I've decided to basically try and do as much as possible with it, just to break out of my usual TE3/quarryplus routine.

I did my usual startup routine though, got TiCO and Thaumcraft on the go and i'm basically wondering what the next early-game priority should be. Blast furnace is a given, but to make HSLA steel I need gunpowder, this either means starting MFR and making a creeper spawner or finding a source of sulfur. Easiest way for that I reckon is to pulverise coal (which i sort of need to do either way if i'm making gunpowder), so I'm back to TE3 already. *scratches chin*

And then mid-game, should I delve into reactorcraft earlyish or make an RF source and start working up through the Tiers of Magnetostatic engines. *ponders*

Gunpowder is either never consumed or very rarely consumed. Grabbing about 5-6 will let you get a ton of steel. For ReactorCraft, you'll need a rather large amount of RotaryCraft infrastructure in place. So I'd work through the tiers of Magnetostatics, since that will get you the infrastructure needed for a reactor.

Edit: Ninja'd

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Aha. A plan begins to formulate, cheers guys! And unless Monster 1.1.2 removed Electricraft by default, I still have it. In fact i'm pretty sure my hyperactive digging spree unearthed some platinum so yeah :D

Also, does RC have something that works like a tesseract? My mid-term plan still involves abusing the roof of the nether for bedrock, and I know I can apparently send RC power through nether portals, i'm not sure if that also works for EnhancedPortals (something I always end up with by the time I reach that stage).

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Aha. A plan begins to formulate, cheers guys! And unless Monster 1.1.2 removed Electricraft by default, I still have it. In fact i'm pretty sure my hyperactive digging spree unearthed some platinum so yeah :D

Also, does RC have something that works like a tesseract? My mid-term plan still involves abusing the roof of the nether for bedrock, and I know I can apparently send RC power through nether portals, i'm not sure if that also works for EnhancedPortals (something I always end up with by the time I reach that stage).

I would convert to and from RF in this case, because AFAIK RotaryCraft and its addons don't have anything like a tesseract.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Nope, as far as I know, you're still stuck with tesseracts for wireless power transfer :(

For bedrock abuse, a superior option might be Twilight Fortress mazes.

Edit: Counter-ninja'd.

Reactions: Padfoote

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I am looking at rotary craft as well and I can confirm that killing few creepers will have you set up for a long time. The biggest limitation is iron. Having quarry running is a must IMO as almost everything you do will involve using steel. I think for me rotarycraft would be rather late midgame than early midgame.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Ta. With that being the case it might make more sense for me to make an RF power source and have a bedrock abusing station with a magnetostatic of its own, then aim towards Reactorcraft for the main base power supply, especially given the rather absurd spawn rate of pitchblende in the newer versions of Monster.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I am looking at rotary craft as well and I can confirm that killing few creepers will have you set up for a long time. The biggest limitation is iron. Having quarry running is a must IMO as almost everything you do will involve using steel. I think for me rotarycraft would be rather late midgame than early midgame.
I agree that iron is critical to hoard. But I still do this mod early game.

Couple things I do to keep my sanity:
1) Get an extractor running asap and use it only on iron (since its going to be slow)
2) Hoard energy in a battery or coil so I can run that extractor as fast as possible when I need it
3) Use a grinder if you don't have an extractor going
4) Use ALTERNATE recipes whenever possible; many RoC recipes now allow tin or aluminum
5) When you get a borer, focus on Iron altitudes rather than diamonds for a while
6) industrial coils, even 640MJ capped one, will run a borer for a long time. No need for tesseracts in early game.
7) Borers benefit massively from the Efficiency enchantment.

I've never bothered to set up any kind of non-RoC quarry in an RoC game fwiw. Borer or nothing for me.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
Rotary Craft is something special, as soon you got into it you cannot get out!

I made some merge of Monster and BnB for my single play world and now I am working toward I have something to fight with nasty monsters/world:) Bedrock tools is a dream still, but I will get there in one day and in another day I have something from RoC to fight back!

Thanks a lot Reika you are great!

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Rotary Craft is something special, as soon you got into it you cannot get out!

I made some merge of Monster and BnB for my single play world and now I am working toward I have something to fight with nasty monsters/world:) Bedrock tools is a dream still, but I will get there in one day and in another day I have something from RoC to fight back!

Thanks a lot Reika you are great!
Gravel gun

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ta. With that being the case it might make more sense for me to make an RF power source and have a bedrock abusing station with a magnetostatic of its own, then aim towards Reactorcraft for the main base power supply, especially given the rather absurd spawn rate of pitchblende in the newer versions of Monster.
Gunpowder is either never consumed or very rarely consumed. Grabbing about 5-6 will let you get a ton of steel. For ReactorCraft, you'll need a rather large amount of RotaryCraft infrastructure in place. So I'd work through the tiers of Magnetostatics, since that will get you the infrastructure needed for a reactor.
Careful. People using little other than magnetostatics was the reason I kept nerfing them. :p

I would convert to and from RF in this case, because AFAIK RotaryCraft and its addons don't have anything like a tesseract.
Well, you can put a shaft through a portal.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Also be aware that the in and out portals must have matching cords (x,y,z) no matter what portal type you use expect for nether as the normal factor of 8 applies.

Edit - Aka if you put your reactor at 0,0 in a mystcraft age with a shaft into a portal. The output portal in the over world must also be near 0.0 at the exact same location of the portal in the mystcraft age.

Last edited:

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Careful. People using little other than magnetostatics was the reason I kept nerfing them. :p

Well, you can put a shaft through a portal.

I recommended the magnetostatic path since for someone first getting into RotaryCraft, the upgrades are a good way to walk people through the tiers. I wouldn't recommend using just them, but they help figure it out.

I know about the shafts through portals thing, but it's not as flexible as tesseracts in terms of power where you want it, when you want it.

Reactions: belgabor

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Forget pointlessly expensive Magnetostatics. Windmills are much more fun, not to mention trying to get enough speed and torque to run things. Gotta love the Worm Gear.