What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Also be aware that the in and out portals must have matching cords (x,y,z) no matter what portal type you use expect for nether as the normal factor of 8 applies.

Edit - Aka if you put your reactor at 0,0 in a mystcraft age with a shaft into a portal. The output portal in the over world must also be near 0.0 at the exact same location of the portal in the mystcraft age.
The 8x scaling for the Nether is in fact ignored.

Reactions: Not_Steve

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Levels of Detail. In 3D games this usually means using a lower res and/or static (if animated) model if you are farther away and don't notice the lack of detail.
The way I implemented it, pieces of model only render if the player is within a certain distance, that distance being determined by a mix of the render distance in the graphics settings and the volume of the model piece. Animations always run, as I do not see them being major render load.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
The way I implemented it, pieces of model only render if the player is within a certain distance, that distance being determined by a mix of the render distance in the graphics settings and the volume of the model piece. Animations always run, as I do not see them being major render load.
Does every block use a TESR? Because if so, that would account for most of whatever rendering lag RotaryCraft causes.

Reactions: YX33A

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Ah ok. I was going by what I know from a different game I was involved in modding :)
There the usual tennet was to reduce polygon complexity and sometimes, if animated, the lowest LOD was static.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ah ok. I was going by what I know from a different game I was involved in modding :)
There the usual tennet was to reduce polygon complexity and sometimes, if animated, the lowest LOD was static.
Minecraft models are composed of boxes; these are the equivalent of the polygons.

I cannot make the models not animate for low LODs; the LOD code does not support controllability or the ability to override behavior of the model class.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft models are composed of boxes; these are the equivalent of the polygons.

I cannot make the models not animate for low LODs; the LOD code does not support controllability or the ability to override behavior of the model class.
Honestly, I'm surprised you can do LODs in Minecraft at all =)

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know where to ask this, but it fits:
In the new Techworld2 Version we have a new RC version, and to update the Magnetostatic Engine you need Tungsten, but RC doesn't add any Tungsten Ore. Should it be like that? I read you get it by Extracting Redstone Ore.

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you. I really like your mod. I guess tried to abuse some stuff to get early access to good Shaft Power and a CVT Unit, but you balanced actually a lot.
At the moment the Steam Turbine gives me somewhat of 530kW, which is more than any Ethanol based Engine can give me, and I only need a working Steam Boiler (Watersupply and lots of Wood)
http://pasteboard.co/IG9ZhUk.png I probably would have made a Tableflip If I had to run 4 Steam Engines just so I could run my Grinder for lube, even that I have a running factory already :D

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Thank you. I really like your mod. I guess tried to abuse some stuff to get early access to good Shaft Power and a CVT Unit, but you balanced actually a lot.
At the moment the Steam Turbine gives me somewhat of 530kW, which is more than any Ethanol based Engine can give me, and I only need a working Steam Boiler (Watersupply and lots of Wood)
http://pasteboard.co/IG9ZhUk.png I probably would have made a Tableflip If I had to run 4 Steam Engines just so I could run my Grinder for lube, even that I have a running factory already :D
Ethanol is far easier.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Ethanol is far easier.
I contest that. Ethanol production requires two stages of processing of farming products. Steam boilers require no processing of farming products. Also, unless there is some way to keep the Fermenter at optimal temperature without moving into a different biome (and/or above ground) I don't find it feasible.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I contest that. Ethanol production requires two stages of processing of farming products. Steam boilers require no processing of farming products. Also, unless there is some way to keep the Fermenter at optimal temperature without moving into a different biome (and/or above ground) I don't find it feasible.
Are you in an ice biome or something? becasue those fermenters work pretty fast in even plains biomes.

Then again producing steam is actually easier then making ethanol it's simple as treefarm> send wood to boiler, some might put it through a sawmill of sorts to get a little extra from the logs first but it needn't get much more complicated then that. However ethanol isn't much harder then steam both boilers and ethanol crystals can become perpetual fuel systems with simlilar amounts of automation. Ethanol crystals are also an ingredient in jet fuel which unlocks more energy solutions.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I'm running v23d, and I'm again getting a new book every time I login -_-

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Are you in an ice biome or something? becasue those fermenters work pretty fast in even plains biomes.

Then again producing steam is actually easier then making ethanol it's simple as treefarm> send wood to boiler, some might put it through a sawmill of sorts to get a little extra from the logs first but it needn't get much more complicated then that. However ethanol isn't much harder then steam both boilers and ethanol crystals can become perpetual fuel systems with simlilar amounts of automation. Ethanol crystals are also an ingredient in jet fuel which unlocks more energy solutions.
My base is located on the coast, in Forest and Gravel Beach biomes, but I keep my industrial stuff underground (and want to keep it that way), which may have an adverse effect.

Also about jet fuel: this has to be the most insanely complicated recipe of any fuel type in modded minecraft - including reactor fuel - requiring mob drops, processed resources and non-renewable mined resources, each from both the Nether and the Overworld. I'd do almost anything to avoid the need for it, except that I need it on my way to reactors.

To clarify: I do not mind complicated processing or building. What I do mind is having to collect so many different component types and that some are non-renewable on top of that. As far as I'm aware of (I haven't built one yet) I "only" need pitchblende, fluorite and water to keep a reactor running, two of which are regrettably non-renewable, but I need neither farms nor a variety of mob drops. Thus, in spite of the multi-step processing, a reactor is drastically less complicated to run than a gas turbine. That there are no data about how much jet fuel is consumed by various machines does not help.

All in all, I must say that RotaryCraft fuel production has turned out to be a huge PITA. Solar power has its own disadvantages, but at least once you've found a workable solar tower configuration (and have a Mystcraft age with eternal dayligh) things keep running smoothly without intervention. Any fuel production setup that can't eventually make things run as smoothly may not be worth the effort except as a temporary solution.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
My base is located on the coast, in Forest and Gravel Beach biomes, but I keep my industrial stuff underground (and want to keep it that way), which may have an adverse effect.

Also about jet fuel: this has to be the most insanely complicated recipe of any fuel type in modded minecraft - including reactor fuel - requiring mob drops, processed resources and non-renewable mined resources, each from both the Nether and the Overworld. I'd do almost anything to avoid the need for it, except that I need it on my way to reactors.

To clarify: I do not mind complicated processing or building. What I do mind is having to collect so many different component types and that some are non-renewable on top of that. As far as I'm aware of (I haven't built one yet) I "only" need pitchblende, fluorite and water to keep a reactor running, two of which are regrettably non-renewable, but I need neither farms nor a variety of mob drops. Thus, in spite of the multi-step processing, a reactor is drastically less complicated to run than a gas turbine. That there are no data about how much jet fuel is consumed by various machines does not help.

All in all, I must say that RotaryCraft fuel production has turned out to be a huge PITA. Solar power has its own disadvantages, but at least once you've found a workable solar tower configuration (and have a Mystcraft age with eternal dayligh) things keep running smoothly without intervention. Any fuel production setup that can't eventually make things run as smoothly may not be worth the effort except as a temporary solution.

Actually if you have access to magical crops then all of those ingredients for jet fuel are in fact renewable. But of course that depends on that mod being present.

BTW, my first fully automatic renewable power source from RotaryCraft is always the hydrokinetic engine. It only requires lubricant which is easy to automate using steam engines. That's how I always start using RoC.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Actually if you have access to magical crops then all of those ingredients for jet fuel are in fact renewable. But of course that depends on that mod being present.

BTW, my first fully automatic renewable power source from RotaryCraft is always the hydrokinetic engine. It only requires lubricant which is easy to automate using steam engines. That's how I always start using RoC.
I have recently installed Magical Crops, but haven't found any essence ore yet even in newly-generated chunks. Odd, that. Also, to be honest it feels like a cheat. I'm trying to achieve the same thing with bees which is a great deal more work but ultimately more satisfying. I'll take recourse to Magical Crops only for those components bees can't make.

Hydrokinetic power is a good early-game power but I've been past that when I installed RotaryCraft.