What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I think my interval is around 2-3 seconds. You sort of watch it for a while and get a feel.

All the stages benefit from the most speed you can get. Obviously 1,4 have minimum torque, so you satisfy that requirement but otherwise get the best speed you can get.

For 2,3 you ideally have 1 torque, and the rest as speed.

And yes, a few seconds per stack is probably pessimistic: it mostly depends on your timing and whether your ores are "ordered" as they're fed into the system (otherwise they can clog up the timing a tiny bit due to insufficient slots)

edit: I should add that "a few seconds per stack" would be on "average" rather than the time it takes to process a single stack (based on the fact that a given stage takes less than 2 seconds to process 1 full stack)

So I take it you have a reactor outputting into a CVT if you're running an extractor that quickly?

I have a row of magnetostatics and shaft junctions piling all my torque into one extractor and it's running quite slowly even with a 8:1 speed gearbox in between (I'd use 16:1 but then i'm short on torque for stage 1 ^_^)

I have a long way to go by the looks :(

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So I take it you have a reactor outputting into a CVT if you're running an extractor that quickly?

I have a row of magnetostatics and shaft junctions piling all my torque into one extractor and it's running quite slowly even with a 8:1 speed gearbox in between (I'd use 16:1 but then i'm short on torque for stage 1 ^_^)

I have a long way to go by the looks :(
Technically I have a reactor outputting into an Aurora battery, from which I run all my industry.

It sounds like you just need more power (so that when you convert to speed, you have leftover torque). I recommend upgrading your magnetostatics to a higher tier and investing in more powerful energy sources.

But yes, reactorcraft is your friend for "unlimited powah" :)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Technically I have a reactor outputting into an Aurora battery, from which I run all my industry.

It sounds like you just need more power (so that when you convert to speed, you have leftover torque). I recommend upgrading your magnetostatics to a higher tier and investing in more powerful energy sources.

This is my plan. It's taken me a while to get 10 of them to Tier 3. Not sure how much further I can be bothered with the crossover power source though, I should probably dive into Reactorcraft and try and set up something more BEEEEG. I'll get there in the end :p

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

What's an Aurora Battery?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
It's the top end energy storage from electricraft.
Ah....yet another mod to learn. Let's see...1 RF/t is about 5500W, that means 20RF are 5500J and 1 RF equals 275J. The battery can store 281TJ...oops, 10^12 RF or 20000 Resonant Energy Cells. Rather impressive. I guess the cost of more than 1000 diamonds is somewhat justified ;)

Reactions: Pyure

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Ah....yet another mod to learn. Let's see...1 RF/t is about 5500W, that means 20RF are 5500J and 1 RF equals 275J. The battery can store 281TJ...oops, 10^12 RF or 20000 Resonant Energy Cells. Rather impressive. I guess the cost of more than 1000 diamonds is somewhat justified ;)

Indeed. The very concept is enough to make one giggle with barely-concealed glee.

Reactions: Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Every item in jet fuel corresponds to a real-world additive. For example, magma cream (due to its relation to fire resistance) is the analogue to 2,6 ditertiary-butyl-4-methyl-phenol, an anti-autoignition agent to help ensure safety in the event of a spill or crash.
See, this is why Reika is a smart modder. He know how to do it in real life, so he makes his mods work in a similar manner to real life without making us use real life stuff, but rather equivalents that already exists.

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
Ethanol is far easier.
Not to completely automate it. Also, getting the Energy from one point to another is far easier with RF and Steam.

Then again producing steam is actually easier then making ethanol it's simple as treefarm> send wood to boiler, some might put it through a sawmill of sorts to get a little extra from the logs first but it needn't get much more complicated then that. However ethanol isn't much harder then steam both boilers and ethanol crystals can become perpetual fuel systems with simlilar amounts of automation. Ethanol crystals are also an ingredient in jet fuel which unlocks more energy solutions.
Yes I will make ethanol to produce jet fuel later. But to use ethanol right now is pretty worthless and complicated.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I will make ethanol to produce jet fuel later. But to use ethanol right now is pretty worthless and complicated.
Sounds fair enough. But while it's not necessary it's good to stockpile ethanol. And it's not THAT complicated feed one machine dirt and sugar have the yeast from that put in to another fermenter with say saplings.
(actually I'm suprised you can't use carrots for ethanol as they are mostly carbs which yeast can break down as well if not better then say a sapling)

Frankly those cross mod engines render a lot of vanilla RotaryCraft engines obsolete due to the cross mod engines simplifying power.

aTeLe

Jul 29, 2019
All you need is two fermenters, two DC engines, three levers, and some item transport...
and where do you get the Leaves/Saplings, Dirt, Sugar and Water from?
And after that you still need to Burn it ;)

But the plus side is, you get A LOT Ethanol then.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
and where do you get the Leaves/Saplings, Dirt, Sugar and Water from?
And after that you still need to Burn it ;)

But the plus side is, you get A LOT Ethanol then.
Sugar cane farm with SFM has you half way there =)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Hence their repeated nerfing.
Yeah I figured as much, lol. It doesn't help when some toolbox starts saying they avoid the vanilla RoC engines. They should be keeping their mouth shut not spouting "Ethanol engines are useless" if they intend on spamming magneostatics.
If you do nerf those RC steam engines further, do it creatively not just by decreasing it's wattage or increasing cost. Reduce it's speed but increase the torque to a ratio that takes thinking to overcome (if that's realistic).
Like what it would take to figure out how to make a hydro-gen setup work an extractor, not impossible but takes some problem solving to figure out how to turn that torque in to speed but retaining enough torque for all it's stage requirements.
Because people don't use magneostatics becasue they produce a lot of energy or are efficient, they do it becasue they are adjustable. If they use a gas turbine they would need to figure out what the optimal gear ratio is and put the right gearbox in the right place. but magneostatics you just tell it the speed you want and have the right tier for the torque.
Most players are too used this machine need X energy unit to work, but your machines are variable like this machine requires X watts but you need to make sure some of those watts are least Y torque, speed> z make things faster.
Some people look at RoC engines like a microturbine and wonder why just whacking on one wont run everything becasue they look only at the wattage and think it should work.
Also transmitting/ splitting rotational energy can be mind bending for the average punter.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if you read my other post. What do you mean with SFM? I made one with MFR ;)
"With" as in "plus", not favoring any kind of farm implementation :)
SFM is Steve's Factory Manager. It transports everything, regulates yeast production and crafts sugar from sugar cane. The only thing you need beyond that is water and dirt.