What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I agree mod synergy is important but what people do with the RoC cross mod engines is not synergetic its total circumvention of mechanics.
I mean you even admit you use magneostatic engines to circumvent transmitting energy the intended way. IMO 2 thirds of the RoC's gameplay is transmitting that rotational energy effectively. IMO Most of the nuance of RoC is messing with gears and shafts as the actual generation of power is the same as any other mod, engine get's its fuel, engine outputs and the machines they power are in a similar boat most of the machines are merely solutions that other mods also provide (I will admit there are a lot of appliances and toys that do things other mods don't). It's the nuance in managing the output of engines is what sets RoC apart from other mods.
In a multi-mod environment, it is generally futile to attempt to force players into an "intended way". They will either do it because it's interesting, or resent the requirement.

As for the current state of motivation, let's see. I'm using shafts and bevel gears in order to transport my solar power from the three towers to their rotational dynamos which feed one tesseract, I'm using dynamometers to monitor power throughput at various points, I've been using shaft junctions to run a grinder with four steam engines, I'm using CVTs and gearboxes to adjust the torque/speed ratio of my tier 4 magnetostatics in order to run my excavators, miners and the bedrock breaker. I've devised a 4x4x4block of shaft junctions and bevel gears to split the output of a 900MW reactor into levels that can be handled by redstone energy conduits. And all that since v19 where the Magnetostatics hadn't been nerfed. There is motivation enough to use RoC mechanics.

The only thing I don't use RoC mechanics for is actual power transmission within my base and long-range, and things will stay that way unless power conversion is made completely impossible - which would be, needless to say, a major turn-off. My base, and as I suspect, like most other player's bases, is a constant work in progress, and power distribution systems that adapt themselves to varying power requirements without intervention, at least to some degree, are non-negotiable. To say nothing of interdimensional transmission... I'm ditching my tesseract-based system when RoC offers me a way for interdimensional logistics pipes routings. As I said, mod synergy is a good thing.

And there is no one and only true way to do things. I admire RoC for being one of very few "global tech mods" with a distinctive style, designed to do many different things in its own way. Being forced to use all components, though, will only result in resentment.

Reactions: belgabor and McJty

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
In a multi-mod environment, it is generally futile to attempt to force players into an "intended way". They will either do it because it's interesting, or resent the requirement.

As for the current state of motivation, let's see. I'm using shafts and bevel gears in order to transport my solar power from the three towers to their rotational dynamos which feed one tesseract, I'm using dynamometers to monitor power throughput at various points, I've been using shaft junctions to run a grinder with four steam engines, I'm using CVTs and gearboxes to adjust the torque/speed ratio of my tier 4 magnetostatics in order to run my excavators, miners and the bedrock breaker. I've devised a 4x4x4block of shaft junctions and bevel gears to split the output of a 900MW reactor into levels that can be handled by redstone energy conduits. And all that since v19 where the Magnetostatics hadn't been nerfed. There is motivation enough to use RoC mechanics.

The only thing I don't use RoC mechanics for is actual power transmission within my base and long-range, and things will stay that way unless power conversion is made completely impossible - which would be, needless to say, a major turn-off. My base, and as I suspect, like most other player's bases, is a constant work in progress, and power distribution systems that adapt themselves to varying power requirements without intervention, at least to some degree, are non-negotiable. To say nothing of interdimensional transmission... I'm ditching my tesseract-based system when RoC offers me a way for interdimensional logistics pipes routings. As I said, mod synergy is a good thing.

And there is no one and only true way to do things. I admire RoC for being one of very few "global tech mods" with a distinctive style, designed to do many different things in its own way. Being forced to use all components, though, will only result in resentment.

I agree with that. Everyone plays differently. I like to use magnetostatics and use RF for easy power distribution. But I can just as well see someone trying to do this the RoC way fully. I think there should be room for both ways and there is not really a point in nerfing one way or the other. RoC plays very well on its own and has a nice tiered progression but why force that on players?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The nether is a necessary evil. Part of my playthroughs is the steady reduction of reasons to go in there. Magical crops is my go-to thing here. Once I have a nice (and totally not OP) farm producing blaze rods, nether quartz, TiCo nether ores, magma cream and netherrack (and in my current playthrough, every other additive for jet fuel) I have no need to head through the portal.

Well, except when i'm using nether lava pumps for power (usually, i'm dull like that) and my bedrock breaker setup, which is in the roof of the nether and isolated from the horrors below :)
Why do you think I'm going into bees? Soul sand, glowstone, nether crystals, blaze powder are all available from specialized bee species. Lava I'm making myself. When I'm done, the only reason I'll ever need to go into the nether is to check on my Netherrack miner (which will be switchable from my base) and on my Nether-based Alvearies which I can't avoid since soulful combs are specialized produce you'll only get in the species' preferred environment.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Why do you think I'm going into bees? Soul sand, glowstone, nether crystals, blaze powder are all available from specialized bee species. Lava I'm making myself. When I'm done, the only reason I'll ever need to go into the nether is to check on my Netherrack miner (which will be switchable from my base) and on my Nether-based Alvearies which I can't avoid since soulful combs are specialized produce you'll only get in the species' preferred environment.
For 'rack, yeah, no way outside of magical crops or Ex Nihlio to get 'rack AFAIK on the overworld without weird world generation. Nether based bees and needing the nether for specific products... you heard of Gendustry? I know, "that mod is OP", etc etc, shitpost after shitpost. I mean, really, it's tiresome. And I still suggest Gendustry because it's not that bad of a mod. First off, electrictal scoop/grafter, so gimmie. Second, the Industrial Apiary is bitchin'. Third, TiC is overpowered compared to DartCraft, and why is it that it's not OP when TE3 adds a portable chest that can hold portable chests, but when DartCraft does it it totally is?

...Sorry, bit tipsy still. I need to get some breakfast.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
For 'rack, yeah, no way outside of magical crops or Ex Nihlio to get 'rack AFAIK on the overworld without weird world generation. Nether based bees and needing the nether for specific products... you heard of Gendustry? I know, "that mod is OP", etc etc, shitpost after shitpost. I mean, really, it's tiresome. And I still suggest Gendustry because it's not that bad of a mod. First off, electrictal scoop/grafter, so gimmie. Second, the Industrial Apiary is bitchin'. Third, TiC is overpowered compared to DartCraft, and why is it that it's not OP when TE3 adds a portable chest that can hold portable chests, but when DartCraft does it it totally is?

...Sorry, bit tipsy still. I need to get some breakfast.
Gendustry is part of Monster, right? So I should have no problem adding it to my DW20 setup....you see, I've checked the wiki entry and read "Hell emulation". I must have this.

Oops, getting a little OT here. Back to RotaryCraft.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The problem is it seems a lot of people only build that setup to get the upgrades, and then remove it immediately after, thus still negating the RC power system.
Well...no. It's not so much "the power system" people are avoiding than the distribution mechanics for centralised power and fuel production for upgraded worlds. Suppose you power a grinder with a performance engine. The engine will be located near the grinder and you need to make the fuel and get it to the engine. No need for any power distribution whatsoever, and if you start a new game with RoC, you're likely to use RoC fuel production and whatever piping system you prefer since it's rather easy to implement. However, if you add RoC to an existing world, you likely have a low-tier power distribution system in place and you don't want to change it, so you'll run a cable there instead of a pipe and use a Magnetostatic engine. Likely you still need to adjust the torque/speed ratio, but you can avoid ethanol production for now. I don't think that's illegitimate.

The other part is mid-range power distribution. Within one machine cluster, you're as likely to use RoC mechanics for power distribution since there is little need for adjustment once you've set it up. Running RF conduits through your base, however, is preferable to running shafts and power junctions since RF transfer is intrinsically self-adjusting, even if you don't take into account that you can't cover shafts with facades or covers. I think this lack of self-adjustability is a disadvantage intrinsic to the RoC system, and it won't go away just because you nerf Magnetostatics more. Add EnderIO, where you can run combined redstone/power/fluid/item/ME conduits and the odds are so much stacked against RoC power transmission that the attempt to motivate players to use it if they don't want to is futile.

I don't think it is legitimate to try and force players to use components of a system that are intrinsically more complicated to use than the alternatives against their preferences. I'm using any mod for the things it does well and tend to avoid the things it doesn't do as well. Everything else being equal, I prefer the cooler stuff which more often than not is RotaryCraft these days, but the amount of disadvantage I'm willing to accept for a unified style is limited.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Dear santa, for christmas I would like enderIO bundled rotational conduits :3
I've thought about that but I don't think it fits the style. However, I'd like EnderIO bundled ElectriCraft conduits. Then a RoC/ElectriCraft power transmission and distribution structure would be feasible and you'd only convert into RF for long-range transmission through tesseracts.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
That's certainly true. I built a magnetizing unit for the upgrades to my magnetostatics, if i'm not building AC engines it has no other use I could see.

On the other hand, my jet fuel production I set up for the same reason might persuade me to set up a row of gas turbines as a stepping stone before I start building a reactor. Thinking about maybe 8 of them, that'll churn out 8192Nm at crazy speed, which I can run into a 16:1 speed gear then plug into an extractor and have everything go absurdly fast.

*ponders*
In fact I have started on a test build for exactly that =)
Although currently I've set it up with 8 turbines to 8 extractors with factorization routers to do it the unintended way :p
Needless to say, it is crazy fast. Have yet to figure out what I need to smelt the flakes fast enough and what I need to produce the amount of fuel needed to run this.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
In fact I have started on a test build for exactly that =)
Although currently I've set it up with 8 turbines to 8 extractors with factorization routers to do it the unintended way :p
Needless to say, it is crazy fast. Have yet to figure out what I need to smelt the flakes fast enough and what I need to produce the amount of fuel needed to run this.
I use IC2 Induction Furnaces for smelting the flakes. Sadly, it's the only machine I keep IC2 for, but it's indispensable because of its speed. I have several. I guess you could use that RoC machine that speeds up normal furnaces, but the sound is rather off-putting and normal furnaces are annoying to automate anyway.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I use IC2 Induction Furnaces for smelting the flakes. Sadly, it's the only machine I keep IC2 for, but it's indispensable because of its speed. I have several. I guess you could use that RoC machine that speeds up normal furnaces, but the sound is rather off-putting and normal furnaces are annoying to automate anyway.
And it can make the furnace go boom if you aren't careful =)
Also, shameless self-ad: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/smelting-stuff-fast-a-comparison.46528/
I'm going to keep this build as much RoC-only as possible, so I'll go with lava smelteries. As you can see from the table when doing bulk smelting they are almost as fast as the induction furnace.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
And it can make the furnace go boom if you aren't careful =)
Also, shameless self-ad: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/smelting-stuff-fast-a-comparison.46528/
I'm going to keep this build as much RoC-only as possible, so I'll go with lava smelteries. As you can see from the table when doing bulk smelting they are almost as fast as the induction furnace.
Considering that I keep my IC2 infrastructure mostly to run the Induction Furnaces, switching to Lava smelteries appears very feasible. Perhaps it's just as well that I ran out of lava because I forgot to switch on my production and now my MFS unit is almost empty. I'll have a look and try how well the lava smeltery works with AE automation...

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Considering that I keep my IC2 infrastructure mostly to run the Induction Furnaces, switching to Lava smelteries appears very feasible. Perhaps it's just as well that I ran out of lava because I forgot to switch on my production and now my MFS unit is almost empty. I'll have a look and try how well the lava smeltery works with AE automation...
Should work fine. The only drawback I found for it is that it isn't made for low throughput smelting. It doesn't automatically balance items so to run it at peak performance you have to have either 18 different items to smelt or enough input to fill it up.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Should work fine. The only drawback I found for it is that it isn't made for low throughput smelting. It doesn't automatically balance items so to run it at peak performance you have to have either 18 different items to smelt or enough input to fill it up.

Yeah that's the argument in favour of the electric furnace, which doesn't need a constant volume of input to maintain speed.

Or a mekanism elite factory thingummy.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah that's the argument in favour of the electric furnace, which doesn't need a constant volume of input to maintain speed.

Or a mekanism elite factory thingummy.
Can someone remind me why we don't like furnace+friction heater? I can't find it above.

I find it works excellent so long as its receiving a decent amount of power.

Reactions: Padfoote

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone remind me why we don't like furnace+friction heater? I can't find it above.

I find it works excellent so long as its receiving a decent amount of power.
I've tried it and it blew up on me. I might try it again as I've reached 20 lava smeltries in my test setup and still backlog on flakes...