What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Supposedly KER-BOOM!
If that's the only stumbling block, just make sure the power input can't get excessive. I use ElectriCraft, so there's a resistor in front of it ensuring it never gets too much juice.

I've never managed to explode one.[DOUBLEPOST=1402667403][/DOUBLEPOST]
I might try it again as I've reached 20 lava smeltries in my test setup and still backlog on flakes...
That's a lot of flakes :)

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
If that's the only stumbling block, just make sure the power input can't get excessive. I use ElectriCraft, so there's a resistor in front of it ensuring it never gets too much juice.
I've never managed to explode one.
At what temperature do you keep them?

That's a lot of flakes :)
Yeah. I'm now at 32 and still getting backlogged :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You can't just run a shaft from your engine across all your machines, unlike RF conduits can you? Especially not when every machine has its unique torque and speed requirements. Energy conduits can just split the power in any ratio and give the machines exactly as much as they need. No thinking involved with that, other than adding your machines' power requirements together.
Which I actually dislike. To me it comes across as handholding at such a strong level that it is condescending: "can't understand the concept of P=T*w? Hate the idea of having to do MATH? Have trouble grasping a 'minimum' power? Try this new mod, just stick two things together and they work!"

Dear santa, for christmas I would like enderIO bundled rotational conduits :3
That makes no sense.

I know difficulty in routing is why people avoid RC power transmission; maybe that is where to look to solve this issue.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
That makes no sense.

I know difficulty in routing is why people avoid RC power transmission; maybe that is where to look to solve this issue.

There's a slight chance I was being facetious :)

And as for making sense, this is minecraft where sand obeys gravity but dirt doesn't...

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Is the Ethanol jetpack supposed to stutter and move 1 block over a span of seconds horizontally :I? I made one today, and was extreeeemely disappointed in it =/

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Mine are around around 1800C I believe. I actually don't know what the maximum is, but because I don't run my borers constantly it hasn't been an issue.
Friction heating a furnace up to 2000C will eventually cause it to explode. Not in the traditional "that quarter of your base is now missing" sense, the furnace just disappears and its contents are dropped onto the ground.

I was super disappointed to find out it isn't a timed thing either, it seems to be a random chance per tick that a furnace at 2000C will die. I tried setting up a phasing system that would toggle one half of the furnaces I had running off, and the other half on on a set interval, and even if I set it so the furnaces would only stay at 2000C for 5 seconds before they got to cool back down, I would always lose some after a few minutes.

Reactions: Pyure

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Should work fine. The only drawback I found for it is that it isn't made for low throughput smelting. It doesn't automatically balance items so to run it at peak performance you have to have either 18 different items to smelt or enough input to fill it up.
So it does *not* work well with AE autocrafting, where the speed of processing one item is essential. All right, I guess I'll stick with IC2 for now.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
So it does *not* work well with AE autocrafting, where the speed of processing one item is essential. All right, I guess I'll stick with IC2 for now.
Ah ok, I thought you were asking whether it works in principle. For on-demand smelting you are absolutle right, wrong machine. It is made for bulk and/or maintenance smelting.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Just trying to work this out in my head before I go splurging resources on stuff, but here goes.

I started out with the ACME magmatic dynamo tower supplying RF machines and magnetostatics.
From this, I've moved most of my power over to gas turbines fueled by my automated magical crops farm.

Currently my RF power is just running some TE machines, an alloy smelter, a planter, four harvesters, some (MFR) grinders, a quarryplus and a bank of 5 magnetostatics in the nether powering my bedrock breaker.

Reckon it would be simpler/more efficient to ditch the magmatic dynamos and just power those few things off rotational dynamos instead?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Also a curiosity i've noticed:

when breaking bedrock from below (as you tend to do attacking the roof of the nether), the bedrock block still recedes from the top as if you are grinding it from above.

:)

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Also a curiosity i've noticed:

when breaking bedrock from below (as you tend to do attacking the roof of the nether), the bedrock block still recedes from the top as if you are grinding it from above.

:)
Yep, the same when you grind it from the side =D

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
So....I've been automating ethanol production. Whoever says it's simple has a skewed perception. It is, in fact, fairly complex to automate, as it involves four basic ingredients (water, saplings, dirt and sugar), two intermediate products (yeast and sludge) and three machines (two fermenters and some kind of furnace), with things being made more complex because you need to insert the ingredients into the correct sides of the fermenters. The actual production process for jet fuel is - surpringly - simpler, involving three machines as well (two grinders and a fractionation unit) but with no fluids and less complicated routing. The only advantage is that the fermenters need need so little power you can run them with DC engines.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
You can use sugar cane instead of saplings which makes it three ingredients plus an auto-crafting step.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So....I've been automating ethanol production. Whoever says it's simple has a skewed perception. It is, in fact, fairly complex to automate, as it involves four basic ingredients (water, saplings, dirt and sugar), two intermediate products (yeast and sludge) and three machines (two fermenters and some kind of furnace), with things being made more complex because you need to insert the ingredients into the correct sides of the fermenters. The actual production process for jet fuel is - surpringly - simpler, involving three machines as well (two grinders and a fractionation unit) but with no fluids and less complicated routing. The only advantage is that the fermenters need need so little power you can run them with DC engines.

Yeah that's pretty much my experience. Fermenters are so simple to run I just set them up in isolation with their own dedicated engines because the maths was simpler than working out the ratios for shaft junctions. Sugar farm and a feed from my JABBA dirt barrel (outflow from the quarry) and they're perfectly happy chugging away to themselves.

I end up with ethanol crystals in my ME network along with all the other bits from my magical crops farm, all of which get shuffled into the fractionator thingy along with ghast tears (more magical crops OP'ness) and suddenly jet fuel :D

I produce enough to power a neat little row of gas turbines (apparently I should be glad that I play MC with the master volume at 0).

I'm calling this a success, now I need to find some decent video tutorials on reactorcraft funsies. It looks like some very complicated stuff.

xKazlyn

Jul 29, 2019
Just use bedrock shears on some silverwood leaves, 64 sludge per leaves.. one tree can net you around 4k ethanol

Sent from my ZTE_N9511 using Tapatalk

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Just use bedrock shears on some silverwood leaves, 64 sludge per leaves.. one tree can net you around 4k ethanol
I'm not lacking raw materials. I got 24k saplings in my ME network, and my tree farm makes them fairly fast. 11k cane, too.

@malicious_bloke:
I'm having some success with bees regarding renewable jet fuel (except for the netherrrack of course, but that's the least of the problems). Still not there, since I got distracted by automating ink sac and glowstone production, and the plan to farm TC slime trees didn't turn out so well since they have some kinks that prevent golems from efficient farming and SC2 carts won't accept the saplings. So while I'm at it, I'm developing yet another line of bees - I've installed Gendustry to make it all less repetitive -I've done things the hard way for long enough. In general I am observing that jet fuel production is rather efficient. One stack of each ingredient has yielded 370 buckets.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Will a ground sprinkler's effect stack with something like the openblocks sprinkler?

Always looking to make the most of how hilariously broken Magicalcrops can be.