What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm assuming you use the CVT to switch the speed modifier up and down in order to change the torque for the extractor stages that need it rather than massive speed?

Isn't it just simpler to have your system geared to deliver 512Nm of torque and all the excess traded off for more speed? There's no stage of an extractor that needs more than that.

Say for example, 8 Gas turbines combined churn out 8192Nm at 65536rad/s. Merge all that together and run it through 16:1 gearing and you get 512Nm of Torque at a little over a million rad/s ;)
Simpler, perhaps. But it's hugely inefficient. If you do not switch, stage 2 and 3 will lag behind so much that they slow the whole process down significantly, and if you do switch, it makes for a drastic speed increase of those stages.
Besides, I only have one gas turbine and only enough tungsten to make two more. Lastly I don't like brute force solutions.

BTW, how did I get that tungsten? Does the extractor sometimes extract byproducts? And if so, of which ore?

Also, I notice to my dismay that the bedrock breaker has been nerfed. It used to give me 4 dust per block, now it's only two. Sigh....I guess I have to devise yet another mining frame.[DOUBLEPOST=1402842022][/DOUBLEPOST]
The boring machine can act as a bedrock breaker if given enough power.
How much power?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Nope. Give it enough torque and it'll mine bedrock in the TF (mazes) and Nether (roof).
I guess you'll first need to make a hole in the roof of the Nether with the regular bedrock breaker since the boring machine only mines horizontally?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I guess you'll first need to make a hole in the roof of the Nether with the regular bedrock breaker since the boring machine only mines horizontally?

If the bedrock is flat there, but I can't remember if it is or not.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
The boring machine mines horizontally, but doesn't it mine a maximum area of 7x5 where the machine itself is on the bottom row :eek:?

Reactions: Padfoote

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Specifications: used a CVT to switch between 2x speed and 16x speed every 4 seconds (there may be optimization potential). The bottleneck was the water supply. Running at this speed, the extractor needs a dedicated water source, possibly with more than Aqueous Accumulator (test pending).
The most efficient way is to use 2 extractors with Factorization routers.
  • Pipe ores into extractor A (16MW @ 32k rad/s).
  • Put a router (A) on extractor A (with a machine filter, bandwidth upgrade). Configure the router to extract from slot 1, and the machine filter to extract from extractors.
  • Pipe router A into extractor B. Extractor B should receive 1MW @ 1m rad/s, and a fairly large water supply (14 aqueous accumulators, or much easier is just an ExtraUtils liquid transfer node with 3 mining upgrades attached to a small puddle).
  • Put another router (B) on extractor B; configure the same as router A, except extracting from slot 3.
  • Pipe router B back into extractor A
  • Pipe extractor A into storage, or your smeltery setup, etc
Looks like this. Note that extractor B on the right isn't rendering for some reason, but it's there. The biggest bottleneck with this setup is on the last stage, so it might be worth setting up a third extractor for the last stage, geared to 8MW @ 32k rad/s.

Reactions: Ieldra and belgabor

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The most efficient way is to use 2 extractors with Factorization routers.
  • Pipe ores into extractor A (16MW @ 32k rad/s).
  • Put a router (A) on extractor A (with a machine filter, bandwidth upgrade). Configure the router to extract from slot 1, and the machine filter to extract from extractors.
  • Pipe router A into extractor B. Extractor B should receive 1MW @ 1m rad/s, and a fairly large water supply (14 aqueous accumulators, or much easier is just an ExtraUtils liquid transfer node with 3 mining upgrades attached to a small puddle).
  • Put another router (B) on extractor B; configure the same as router A, except extracting from slot 3.
  • Pipe router B back into extractor A
  • Pipe extractor A into storage, or your smeltery setup, etc
Looks like this. Note that extractor B on the right isn't rendering for some reason, but it's there. The biggest bottleneck with this setup is on the last stage, so it might be worth setting up a third extractor for the last stage, geared to 8MW @ 32k rad/s.
I am debating whether to break this or not. I consider the sidestepping of the difficulty of powering the extractor efficiently a major cheat, but am somewhat impressed by the setup.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
That's pretty cunning :)
It is, but it doesn't take ore multiplication in account, something some people I've watched doing the switched CVT setup miss as well. In my test setup using the router setup I have a 1:2:5 setup for extractors running step 1, 2+3 and 4. That seemed to get rid of major backlog :)

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
No need to nerf it really as last I heard the router is going goodbye in factorization in favor of the servos.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I am debating whether to break this or not. I consider the sidestepping of the difficulty of powering the extractor efficiently a major cheat, but am somewhat impressed by the setup.
Considering it's about 30x as efficient as running an extractor on the half-gigawatt required to do the same thing with a single extractor, you wouldn't be wrong.
Of course, I'd probably just attach an extractor setup directly to a Reactorcraft turbine at the stage I'm at in that world, but running an extractor at max speed on either a handful of microturbines, or a 25% speed gas turbine sure is convenient early-game.
No need to nerf it really as last I heard the router is going goodbye in factorization in favor of the servos.
I haven't tried it myself, but the same thing may very well be possible with a couple of Computercraft turtles as well. It would be a fair amount cheaper than all the dark iron and Factorization infrastructure you need to make the routers and their necessary upgrades, as well.

Last edited:

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Are you referring to the magnetostatic engines, or using one extractor for the first+last stages?