What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
So you could take something that has 256 * 128 Nm output @ 1048 rad/s, and throw that into a machine that's quoted at 128 Nm, at infinity rad/s.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
So you could take something that has 256 * 128 Nm output @ 1048 rad/s, and throw that into a machine that's quoted at 128 Nm, at infinity rad/s.
Sure thing.

Then again, if you really wish to power your grinder so badly, there are better options.

Btw, highest torque producing thing is hydrokinetic engine, which produces 16384Nm at 32 rad/s

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
That's a lot of torque. Now I understand why people are so obsessed with grinding bedrock.

What about bores? How do they work?

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
That's a lot of torque. Now I understand why people are so obsessed with grinding bedrock.

Boring machine requires variable power, depending on how many blocks you've set it to bore from it's interface and what materials it bores.

After the torque requirement is met, speed will make the process quicker.

E: Oh, and it bores horizontally up to 7x5 "wall" in front of them, where the boring machine is in spot 4x1 (middle of bottom row)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Does it actually move and bore blocks? How long can you mine a world at 7000 blocks/s... That's what I am confused about.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Does it actually move and bore blocks? How long can you mine a world at 7000 blocks/s... That's what I am confused about.
It does not move, but works more like the mining well from BC. It creates a structure that extends as the boring happens.

Also you need a metric shit-ton of speed if you wanna mine 7000 blocks/s..

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Updating your world at 7000 blocks per second.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Well, the other thing is that I get super bored of the game once scarcity isnt' a problem. It is also my goal to rid my world of scarcity, so you see my dilemma. It would seem that this mod would only help me achieve my end-game, thus boredom faster.

I may delve into this mod as an aside, once I have all my fucking shit together, but until then it seems like too much shit to fuck around with, especially because I'm heading for an aesthetic theme in Namiasdf's Plays FTB - Monster - Mastering yet another FTB modpack.

Thanks for the info though, people were complaining about how complicated this mod is, but in a few short comments the entirety of the mod has been made relatively clear, and quite simple.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
looking at the past page, I can say that any decent high school or intro college physics course easily take care of the pre-reqs for easy understanding of the mod.
for that matter, 30 minutes on Wikipedia looking at the subject would probably work.

then again, I am saddened by the number of people who struggle with making change. or cant seem to use (un?)common sense.

@ above conversations:
the RoC endgame is all about ludicrous power and ludicrous production/processing.

iirc, the monster pack has 4 layers of solid bedrock at the bottom of the overworld before the final layer.
use a breaker to dig down as far as you can and make a little room, then squeeze in the borer and let 'er rip.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The lag would be unprecedented. So much fucking cobble too, lol. I have aversions to just dumping shit into trashbins, since you can't do that IRL and IRL problem solving is my cup of tea.

I guess recyclers, since IC2 is back. Fucking the most unnecessary amount of complication goes into crafting even the most simple shit in that mod. Fuck, just trying to make a geothermal gen is fucked. TE is machine frame, coil, two ingots, and two other items.

IC2, why so much fuck.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
We could solve a lot of problems if we could just pipe things into trashcans or lava IRL.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
looking at the past page, I can say that any decent high school or intro college physics course easily take care of the pre-reqs for easy understanding of the mod.
for that matter, 30 minutes on Wikipedia looking at the subject would probably work.

then again, I am saddened by the number of people who struggle with making change. or cant seem to use (un?)common sense.

@ above conversations:
the RoC endgame is all about ludicrous power and ludicrous production/processing.

iirc, the monster pack has 4 layers of solid bedrock at the bottom of the overworld before the final layer.
use a breaker to dig down as far as you can and make a little room, then squeeze in the borer and let 'er rip.

I think (but may be mistaken) that the borer can't mine bedrock below y=5
You can put a borer at the ceiling of the nether to get bedrock though.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The most efficient way is to use 2 extractors with Factorization routers.
  • Pipe ores into extractor A (16MW @ 32k rad/s).
  • Put a router (A) on extractor A (with a machine filter, bandwidth upgrade). Configure the router to extract from slot 1, and the machine filter to extract from extractors.
  • Pipe router A into extractor B. Extractor B should receive 1MW @ 1m rad/s, and a fairly large water supply (14 aqueous accumulators, or much easier is just an ExtraUtils liquid transfer node with 3 mining upgrades attached to a small puddle).
  • Put another router (B) on extractor B; configure the same as router A, except extracting from slot 3.
  • Pipe router B back into extractor A
  • Pipe extractor A into storage, or your smeltery setup, etc
Looks like this. Note that extractor B on the right isn't rendering for some reason, but it's there. The biggest bottleneck with this setup is on the last stage, so it might be worth setting up a third extractor for the last stage, geared to 8MW @ 32k rad/s.
Very nice. A neat and compact setup. Compact apart from the 14 Aqueous Accumulators, that is. Do you really need that many?

I'm not sure I want to bother with setting up the Factorization infrastructure required for the machine filter though. There are one or two things about Factorization I find disagreeable.[DOUBLEPOST=1402906843][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think (but may be mistaken) that the borer can't mine bedrock below y=5
You can put a borer at the ceiling of the nether to get bedrock though.
Not sure about the boring machine, but the bedrock breaker can't mine the lowest layer of bedrock, in order to avoid breaking through into the Void. That's a problem in modpacks like DW20 which use a worldgen setting "flat bedrock 1 [layer thick]". The Nether ceiling isn't flat though, and if you change the setting and enter a new dimension you'll get thicker bedrock which can be mined.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The lag would be unprecedented. So much fucking cobble too, lol. I have aversions to just dumping shit into trashbins, since you can't do that IRL and IRL problem solving is my cup of tea.

I guess recyclers, since IC2 is back. Fucking the most unnecessary amount of complication goes into crafting even the most simple shit in that mod. Fuck, just trying to make a geothermal gen is fucked. TE is machine frame, coil, two ingots, and two other items.
Yeah, sometimes it appears as if half of my AE autocrafting is for IC2 components. If it wasn't for the Induction Furnace, I probably wouldn't bother with IC2 since there is nothing in IC2's late game stuff that hasn't been eclipsed by other mods.

As for disposing of cobble and stone, I suggest MFR Deep Storage Units as a temporary buffer, and then making AE singularities. It's going to take a very long time until you run out of space to store those... Trashcans I've been using for overflow from my farms, which I find legitimate since in RL such stuff will turn into dirt fast enough.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

Once in place, they mine a horizontal tunnel of any cross-section up to 7x5 blocks in size. Every block in the cross-section adds to the required torque. I don't recall the exact specifications at the moment, but my borers mine 7x5 tunnels through anything but obsidian with 512kW, and enchanted with Efficiency IV they mine one layer of blocks every 7 seconds. I have four running in parallel on a movable frame, that would make 210 blocks in 7 seconds. This is a mid-tier setup, but your ore processing will struggle to keep up with it unless you put an order of magnitude more power into it.

Note that it is more energy-efficient to run two borers than to run one at double the rads/s, because operation speed only increases in a logarithmic relation to the power input.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Once in place, they mine a horizontal tunnel of any cross-section up to 7x5 blocks in size. Every block in the cross-section adds to the required torque. I don't recall the exact specifications at the moment, but my borers mine 7x5 tunnels through anything but obsidian with 512kW, and enchanted with Efficiency IV they mine one layer of blocks every 7 seconds. I have four running in parallel, that would make 210 blocks in 7 seconds. This is a mid-tier setup, but your ore processing will struggle to keep up with it unless you put an order of magnitude more power into it.

Note that it is more energy-efficient to run two borers than to run one at double the rads/s, because operation speed only increases in a logarithmic relation to the power input.

I have two borer machines running and 4 extractors (not running at full speed though) who are constantly processing the ores :)

I have about 3500 diamonds and 8000 emeralds now.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I have two borer machines running and 4 extractors (not running at full speed though) who are constantly processing the ores :)

I have about 3500 diamonds and 8000 emeralds now.
And....how much power does your processing use in comparison to your mining? Two borers can run efficiently with 1MW. 4 Extractors though, would require....hmm...probably around 32 MW to process those ores at a matching speed. As I said, processing requires an order of magnitude more power.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Well the four extractors can't keep up :)
I currently only have about 20000 RF/tick production which isn't sufficient to run those 4 extractors at full speed. I first have to either upgrade my big reactor (for example by going to active cooling) or else try a ReactorCraft reactor. Haven't decided on that yet.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
20kRF/t? That's a kind of power I find hard to come by. Not because it's ridiculously high, but because there doesn't appear to be a machine generating this order of magnitude. I could spam 20 solar towers with 5.3 MW apiece, or 20 Railcraft steam boilers, that would do it, but spamming stuff is boring. On the other hand, ReactorCraft will give me 500MW and up, but that's overkill at present, and not so easily maintained constantly, if only because there is no way to recycle the fluor from the uranium processing (which should really be possible considering the mod's semi-realism I think).

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
20kRF/t? That's a kind of power I find hard to come by. Not because it's ridiculously high, but because there doesn't appear to be a machine generating this order of magnitude. I could spam 20 solar towers with 5.3 MW apiece, or 20 Railcraft steam boilers, that would do it, but spamming stuff is boring. On the other hand, ReactorCraft will give me 500MW and up, but that's overkill at present, and not so easily maintained constantly, if only because there is no way to recycle the fluor from the uranium processing (which should be possible I think).

A reactor from Big Reactor can easily get 20K RF/tick and more. If you go with ReactorCraft then you can go even more.