What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
In related news, I had to deal with this in the gravel gun formula:

That number is so big it overflows every number type you use to store it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

DataType: Not short. (Or int, or long..)

Edit: I actually replied before I realized you had commented on datatypes. Ninja'd myself?

So, um, nevermind.

Polymorph

Jul 29, 2019

Like, was that the output of a formula, or a constant that needed to be used for whatever reason? I'm kinda curious what caused/required that number.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019

Java being the language it is I would almost guarantee that somewhere out there is a special maths library that could handle it =)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If logarithmic is the opposite of exponential, (thus inverse exponential), the amount of energy required to produce more speed/torque, would be less than at the start. Exponential growth suggests that as you progress, the required amount of energy increases at a growing proportion.

If this is the case, then it would be more beneficial to dump more energy into a logarithmic system, since it is the opposite of exponential, the situation where it cost more energy per speed, the higher energy you go. Instead, you've described logarithmic as the opposite of exponential, where it costs less energy per speed, the higher energy you go.

Logarithmic functions are scaled in such a way that exponential growth, inverse or not, is shown to be more or less linear on a graph. It is not opposite, since a <1 base would allow you to scale proportionately infinitesimal numbers, linearlly. Conversely, >1 base would allow you to scale proportionately infinite numbers.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Actually if you have access to magical crops then all of those ingredients for jet fuel are in fact renewable. But of course that depends on that mod being present.

BTW, my first fully automatic renewable power source from RotaryCraft is always the hydrokinetic engine. It only requires lubricant which is easy to automate using steam engines. That's how I always start using RoC.
If you have magical crops installed EVERYTHING is a renewable resource. Heck, I bet there is some way to get bedrock with em.

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
I'm going to go a bit off-topic from the conversation happening right now and focus a bit on the main post. :p
Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of RotaryCraft or ReactorCraft (still, I find you an incredible modder, @Reika :)), but this answer counts to any mod out there right, from those stupid ones that only add obsidian tools and extremely unbalanced overpowered machines, to those that we all know and love, like RotaryCraft, Applied Energistics, Thermal Expansion, Industrial Craft, Thaumcraft and others.
In my ignorant opinion, I think that mods, not only Minecraft ones, add not only content, but possibilities - being RotaryCraft such a big mod, he's full of them, I'm sure! And what you do with all these possibilites mods offer you, is completely up to you - and only you! Isn't that awesome? I'm sure all of you here have seen a bunch of different and neat builds, made from those possibilities, and interactions between them - from factories to huge moving mining machines, they are all over the place! It's unimaginable what people can do with all this content, with all this possibilities.
Isn't giving people more possibilities what the whole modding community is all about? RotaryCraft, and a bunch of others incredible, breath-taking mods have the point of giving you infinite possibilities - it's almost asking you directly: "What can you do with me?"
I found that truly, truly amazing.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to go a bit off-topic from the conversation happening right now and focus a bit on the main post. :p
Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of RotaryCraft or ReactorCraft (still, I find you an incredible modder, Reika :)), but this answer counts to any mod out there right, from those stupid ones that only add obsidian tools and extremely unbalanced overpowered machines, to those that we all know and love, like RotaryCraft, Applied Energistics, Thermal Expansion, Industrial Craft, Thaumcraft and others.
In my ignorant opinion, I think that mods, not only Minecraft ones, add not only content, but possibilities - being RotaryCraft such a big mod, he's full of them, I'm sure! And what you do with all these possibilites mods offer you, is completely up to you - and only you! Isn't that awesome? I'm sure all of you here have seen a bunch of different and neat builds, made from those possibilities, and interactions between them - from factories to huge moving mining machines, they are all over the place! It's unimaginable what people can do with all this content, with all this possibilities.
Isn't giving people more possibilities what the whole modding community is all about? RotaryCraft, and a bunch of others incredible, breath-taking mods have the point of giving you infinite possibilities - it's almost asking you directly: "What can you do with me?"
was about to like, but you said you don't like RoC :p. But I will anyway because you said some good stuff

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of RotaryCraft or ReactorCraft (still, I find you an incredible modder, @Reika :)), but this answer counts to any mod out there right, from those stupid ones that only add obsidian tools and extremely unbalanced overpowered machines, to those that we all know and love, like RotaryCraft, Applied Energistics, Thermal Expansion, Industrial Craft, Thaumcraft and others.
This is why I do not tell people how to build things in terms of "use this machine, then this one, and put this one over here" and discourage others from doing the same.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
[...]
That's what makes modded Minecraft so utterly addictive. It's a building blocks game on steroids. I must've watched hundreds of mod spotlights and LP videos, but there isn't any setup I've watched where I didn't think I'd do things differently in my own worlds. Solutions abound, but which ones fit you, which ones do you find elegant or neat? Can you find new ones?

@Reika:
There's a fine line between avoiding to be prescriptive and not giving out enough information to use a mod effectively. I find an out-of-game block/item reference guide which includes examples of very simple setups to be extremely desirable in many cases.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That's what makes modded Minecraft so utterly addictive. It's a building blocks game on steroids. I must've watched hundreds of mod spotlights and LP videos, but there isn't any setup I've watched where I didn't think I'd do things differently in my own worlds. Solutions abound, but which ones fit you, which ones do you find elegant or neat? Can you find new ones?

@Reika:
There's a fine line between avoiding to be prescriptive and not giving out enough information to use a mod effectively. I find an out-of-game block/item reference guide which includes examples of very simple setups to be extremely desirable in many cases.
There are no effective "very simple" setups. The analog would be "engine and machine", which noone should need to be told about to think of.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
There are no effective "very simple" setups. The analog would be "engine and machine", which noone should need to be told about to think of.
There are a few simple and effective set ups for a few things, but they are all pretty easy to figure our without them being mentioned. Just takes math. Which I suppose is why people occasionally need some help, because math is easy because we don't do it ourselves anymore. I occasionally test myself by doing calculations in my head. Usually get them wrong, but I'm rarely off by much.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my take on this is that most people want to see a use for the machine. It doesn't have to be a specific one, but in the process of viewing a Let's Play, or tutorial on the machine, you discover some of its nuances. Additionally, seeing a totally new way to use the machine, that you may have not perceived, can open up new avenues in thinking/innovation. Some which you may have never considered.

It is especially frustrating to try and figure out how a block works, when the solution is as simple as "wrong side" or "does not work with this mod". Those are just wastes of time.

Perhaps it is my engineer mindset, but I spend a lot of time doing research/testing before fully implementing/dedicating large amounts of resource/time/effort to... Well anything.

This definitely goes for new technology, similar to the case of exploring a new mod. Though, I also approach FTB as an exercise in engineering, as that is what is fun for me.

Reactions: Ieldra and YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my take on this is that most people want to see a use for the machine. It doesn't have to be a specific one, but in the process of viewing a Let's Play, or tutorial on the machine, you discover some of its nuances. Additionally, seeing a totally new way to use the machine, that you may have not perceived, can open up new avenues in thinking/innovation. Some which you may have never considered.

It is especially frustrating to try and figure out how a block works, when the solution is as simple as "wrong side" or "does not work with this mod". Those are just wastes of time.

Perhaps it is my engineer mindset, but I spend a lot of time doing research/testing before fully implementing/dedicating large amounts of resource/time/effort to... Well anything.

This definitely goes for new technology, similar to the case of exploring a new mod. Though, I also approach FTB as an exercise in engineering, as that is what is fun for me.
A wise way of doing things, and the only way to get pretty much anything done in FTB if you don't know all the mods in the pack you use like the back of your hand.

That said, sometimes the fun is figuring it out as you go. RoC doesn't do you a lot of favors, but the ones it does are amazing and are the only ones you really need it to do. The handbook is the only favor it gives you, and if you can figure out what you're doing using it, then you can do math, and think. RoC is great because of the Shaft Power system. It's simple on paper, and in practice. But the uses for it are vast.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
LOL.....I just noticed that Silk Touch-enchanted boring machines "mine" complete beehives. Is that new in V23, or did I just not notice earlier that I had dozens of rock hives in my ME network? I guess I won't be running out of bees any time soon...