What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
LOL.....I just noticed that Silk Touch-enchanted boring machines "mine" complete beehives. Is that new in V23, or did I just not notice earlier that I had dozens of rock hives in my ME network? I guess I won't be running out of bees any time soon...

That has been always the case as far as I know. You also get spawners btw.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
While I'm at it, I noticed some odd behaviour of my CVT Unit/Extractor setup:

I tested a setup where I would input the redstone signal to the CVT unit from below using Project Red red alloy wires. Since the wire doesn't visibly connect to the CVT from below, I didn't know if this would be working. In the isolated test (with no machine actually attached to the CVT but a dynamometer instead) it appeared to switch correctly. However, when using the same method on my production setup which runs the extractor, stage 2 and 3 didn't visibly speed up when the switch was activated. I then changed the setup again to input the redstone signal from the side of the cvt unit, and things worked as they should again.

Needless to say, I find this very odd. I wouldn't have been surprised had things not worked at all with the red alloy wire not visibly connecting with the CVT, but the dynamometer said it was working. I'll test a similar setup again with the latch realized in a modular socket with direct redstone output to the top, and anyway I have a way that does work but I'd rather like to know the reason for this odd behavior.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Exploring more of the odd Redstone behaviour of some RotaryCraft machines.

The problem appears to be that some Redstone wires/conduits won't connect to them when they should. For instance, place a ProjectRed red alloy wire or an EnderIO redstone conduit next to a CVT or an ECU and they won't connect. They still react in some way to the Redstone signal in the adjacent block but they'll do unexpected things. For instance, the ECU won't shut off the engine on top of it completely (according to the animation it's still running and if it's a gas turbine you'll still get damaged standing behind it) but it will cease to use up fuel or generate power.

This can be circumvented by using a way to transport the signal that outputs directly into the machine without the need to connect. Options are Project Red integrated circuits (you must place them directly next to the machine) or Engineer's Toolbox modular sockets with redstone output or redstone logic modules.

But I think it's a bug nonetheless. I don't know which mod would be responsible, but redstone-transporting wires and conduits should connect to machines affected by redstone signals.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

The problem appears to be that some Redstone wires/conduits won't connect to them when they should. For instance, place a ProjectRed red alloy wire or an EnderIO redstone conduit next to a CVT or an ECU and they won't connect. They still react in some way to the Redstone signal in the adjacent block but they'll do unexpected things. For instance, the ECU won't shut off the engine on top of it completely (according to the animation it's still running and if it's a gas turbine you'll still get damaged standing behind it) but it will cease to use up fuel or generate power.

This can be circumvented by using a way to transport the signal that outputs directly into the machine without the need to connect. Options are Project Red integrated circuits (you must place them directly next to the machine) or Engineer's Toolbox modular sockets with redstone output or redstone logic modules.

But I think it's a bug nonetheless. I don't know which mod would be responsible, but redstone-transporting wires and conduits should connect to machines affected by redstone signals.
Hmm, not sure. I've never seen a wire connect directly "to" a RoC machine either, but then I never really expected it to. I assumed project red redstone simply worked like vanilla redstone, and that the signal flowed through an attached block (such as stone) into the machine. I've never really had problems getting signals into RoC machines (getting signals out of them another matter)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

I use project red wires with no issues. Just laying the wire on the ground next to the machine will not work, as that does not establish a connection.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Pyure:
I use project red wires with no issues. Just laying the wire on the ground next to the machine will not work, as that does not establish a connection.
So how do you make them connect? Or EnderIO conduits at that. In the latter case, the standard mechanism for enabling/disabling connections with the wrench does not work.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure:

So how do you make them connect? Or EnderIO conduits at that. In the latter case, the standard mechanism for enabling/disabling connections with the wrench does not work.
You ever used Redpower 2? It was the same deal, one had to lay the wire directly onto the machine, or use a "framed" variant.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure:

According to Reika I might be wrong; my recollection was that if a RoC block had red alloy wire on it, then given a signal, the machine would receive that signal.

I was pretty sure that's how I set up my CVT, ECU and Relay signalling. I'd have to be at home to confirm.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to learn how to use Rotarycraft, I just don't know where to begin.

Edit: And by begin, I mean to begin learning the mod, not beginning the game, I've got an End-game base.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

Edit: And by begin, I mean to begin learning the mod, not beginning the game, I've got an End-game base.

Then you should have plenty of materials to do this. Best is to start at the lowest tier machines and gradually go up. The handbook has some info. You can start with fermenters, grinders, gasoline engine, and so on. Later go to the extractor, jet fuel production and that kind of stuff.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You ever used Redpower 2? It was the same deal, one had to lay the wire directly onto the machine, or use a "framed" variant.
You can't put red alloy wire on a CVT unit, though I just checked and you can put it on an ECU. The inconsistency is somewhat frustrating.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure:

Did you hit the face pointing at the machine? That forces a connection no matter what, even with air. The only RoC block I had Ender IO issues with is the multidimenssional clutch that takes analog redstone.

You can't put red alloy wire on a CVT unit, though I just checked and you can put it on an ECU. The inconsistency is somewhat frustrating.
You don't need to, works fine for me running next to it (CVT).

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
This is hardly an inconsistency. Red allow wire follows the same attachment rule as redstone wire and torches; non-opaque blocks, including all modelled machines, cannot have either attached.

Reactions: immibis

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure:

A relay activated by red alloy wire.
2014-06-23_18.51.09.jpg

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

if you're already "end game", I'd learn rotarycraft with an eye towards ReactorCraft.

Your end game is still lacking ridiculously unlimited power.