What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
A relay activated by red alloy wire.View attachment 11682
Ah yes, that's similar to how I did it - with a block that directly outputs a redstone signal into the machine. I take it PR integrated redstone circuits and ET sockets with integrated redstone circuits work the same way as relays in that regard. Well, problem solved. Sort of, anyway. I'll have to try and force a simple cable/conduit connection again at some time...just to see if it can be done.

What kind of armor is that? The power level appears....unusual.

Last edited:

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
if you're already "end game", I'd learn rotarycraft with an eye towards ReactorCraft.

Your end game is still lacking ridiculously unlimited power.
I've got a 5x5x5 BigReactor full of Gelid Cryotheum and 5 Fuel Rods, and a max size High Pressure Solid Fueled Boiler.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ah yes, that's similar to how I did it - with a block that directly outputs a redstone signal into the machine. I take it PR integrated redstone circuits and ET sockets with integrated redstone circuits work the same way as relays in that regard. Well, problem solved. Sort of, anyway. I'll have to try and force a simple cable/conduit connection again at some time...just to see if it can be done.

What kind of armor is that? The power level appears....unusual.
Bedrock armor. I have no idea what the numbers mean :\

I've got a 5x5x5 BigReactor full of Gelid Cryotheum and 5 Fuel Rods, and a max size High Pressure Solid Fueled Boiler.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't set you up here; I was hoping you'd claim a giant, well-designed BigReactor, just so I could reply:

Your game is still lacking ridiculously unlimited power.

(PS: your reactor might be producing way more than you'll ever need, but it's not much compared to a small ReC uranium plant, and insignificant compared to fusion)

Reactions: YX33A

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'd be lying if I said I didn't set you up here; I was hoping you'd claim a giant, well-designed BigReactor, just so I could reply:

I'm wondering if there is anything you would use such power for. I haven't tried to make a 128³ spatial containment structure yet, may that's one application. Another one would be to speed up MFFS teleportation, but unfortunately, that function - as opposed to all others - can't be sped up. The last teleportation of my mining frame in my old world took 2357 seconds. It appears to be a function of distance, with dimensional barriers mattering less than map coordinates. MFFS is rather modest in its power requirements, there is definitely room for improvement here.

Any other possible applications?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
(PS: your reactor might be producing way more than you'll ever need, but it's not much compared to a small ReC uranium plant, and insignificant compared to fusion)
He REALLY is not kidding. As far as I am aware, not having built anything from reactorcraft just yet, the MINIMUM you're going to get unless you designed your reactor particularly inefficiently or waste most of the steam they produce (oh by the way, you know the amount your HP36 [High Pressure Boiler, 36 blocks big] produces in steam? 720mb/tick, in case you were unaware of the actual numbers. Prepare to see that as chump change.) will REQUIRE a tesseract. No known cable can handle the RF produced by some of the largest reactors, and most of the early ones will horrifically overload Redstone Energy Conduits, and even the really good ones like EnderIO's top tier conduits.

I'm wondering if there is anything you would use such power for. I haven't tried to make a 128³ spatial containment structure yet, may that's one application. Another one would be to speed up MFFS teleportation, but unfortunately, that function - as opposed to all others - can't be sped up. The last teleportation of my mining frame in my old world took 2357 seconds. It appears to be a function of distance, with dimensional barriers mattering less than map coordinates. MFFS is rather modest in its power requirements, there is definitely room for improvement here.

Converting back into shaft power mostly, while being able to run literally whatever you want to off of RF. If you have a fusion reactor going, you could probably supply ANY server's needs for RF on a public channel. I might do the math and figure out how many MFR laser drills I can fully charge off of one low-tier reactor (though it's pretty much "whatever you can design" territory), because the Tokamak (Fusion reactor)? That's insane!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

Why does your post put my name on Pyure's quote?

The numbers are basically a result of some calculation overflowing. That's because bedrock basically has infinite durability.
For some reason whatever mod that is renders it as the maximum value possible in a 32-bit integer, 2.147 billion.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
if you're already "end game", I'd learn rotarycraft with an eye towards ReactorCraft.

Your end game is still lacking ridiculously unlimited power.

Real Ultimate Power comes from turning hungry thaumcraft nodes into RF.[DOUBLEPOST=1403627101][/DOUBLEPOST]
He REALLY is not kidding. As far as I am aware, not having built anything from reactorcraft just yet, the MINIMUM you're going to get unless you designed your reactor particularly inefficiently or waste most of the steam they produce (oh by the way, you know the amount your HP36 [High Pressure Boiler, 36 blocks big] produces in steam? 720mb/tick, in case you were unaware of the actual numbers. Prepare to see that as chump change.) will REQUIRE a tesseract. No known cable can handle the RF produced by some of the largest reactors, and most of the early ones will horrifically overload Redstone Energy Conduits, and even the really good ones like EnderIO's top tier conduits.

And I mean, congratulations. You sunk time and energy into a numerical infinity slightly greater than your previous numerical infinity. While this can be fun, it seems weird to put this machismo around it. "Yeah! You aren't REALLY wasting power yet!" I had the same feeling when I finished my GT fusion reactor, and I vowed never again to waste my time when there were challenging things to automate.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
And I mean, congratulations. You sunk time and energy into a numerical infinity slightly greater than your previous numerical infinity. While this can be fun, it seems weird to put this machismo around it. "Yeah! You aren't REALLY wasting power yet!" I had the same feeling when I finished my GT fusion reactor, and I vowed never again to waste my time when there were challenging things to automate.
Because games are totally not timesinks.

Reactions: Padfoote and YX33A

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Real Ultimate Power comes from turning hungry thaumcraft nodes into RF.[DOUBLEPOST=1403627101][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is this legitimate or are you joking? What kind of power are we talking about?

And I mean, congratulations. You sunk time and energy into a numerical infinity slightly greater than your previous numerical infinity. While this can be fun, it seems weird to put this machismo around it.
If you're serious regarding your thaumcraft remark, is that any different than us flexing our nuclear reactors?

As a reasonable answer either way, its fun to challenge myself and others and see if I can "one up" what i've done before. After a while automation challenges bore me.

Reactions: Padfoote and YX33A

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Usually the focus is on the enjoyment of the design and construction process. I personally am not at all impressed by "BIGGEST BUILD EVER" type displays when the size is the "selling point" but the actual design is simplistic (like a skyscraper); yes, it is larger, but all that means is you spent longer doing the same thing over and over again. However, intricate builds - as most tech mod systems are - are impressive. You dug out a 500x500x500 area by hand? A two-year-old could do that. You made a super-efficient superfast farm and processing system? That earns respect.
GT is often the exception, as it requires massive amounts of grinding to achieve anything, and there is nothing impressive or skillful about having spent six weeks mining to get enough ore or killing mobs for enough drops.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Umm... that's the thing yes, GT requires more to get into the production, but once you get into it, it actually gives back a superior return for most input.Instead of just returning the two iron and one ferrous of TE, You'd get back two iron, one ferrous and a tiny pile of iron dust. Then each four of those becomes another iron. So you'd be guaranteed to get nine iron and 4 ferrous metal from four iron ore. And it's only truly hard if it's the only mod you have installed.

Reactions: immibis and YX33A

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Umm... that's the thing yes, GT requires more to get into the production, but once you get into it, it actually gives back a superior return for most input.Instead of just returning the two iron and one ferrous of TE, You'd get back two iron, one ferrous and a tiny pile of iron dust. Then each four of those becomes another iron. So you'd be guaranteed to get nine iron and 4 ferrous metal from four iron ore. And it's only truly hard if it's the only mod you have installed.
I love that stuff. :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'd like to try GT but I had the impression this mod walks all over the configuration of other mods.
Yep, its like a ninja-iguana-tweaks, it sneaks in and modifies everything in the name of a balance goal.

These days, modders are more encouraged to leave the balance issues up to the player/modpack maker.

That said, its still really fun, if a bit oldschool.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It does, but if you want your game more difficult it'll do it. I think mostly it defaults to normal mode, rather than Jaded-difficulty.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
It does, but if you want your game more difficult it'll do it. I think mostly it defaults to normal mode, rather than Jaded-difficulty.
That depends what "more difficult" means. If it means I have to mine more for the same goal, then no. If it means overcomplicated crafting chains, then also no. If it lengthens the early game, then doubly no. If it means that machinery is sensitive to doing things the wrong way, then I'll accept that.

The thing is, if I ever play with GT, then it's not for the difficulty, but for some of the things you can do with it.

All right, back to RotaryCraft: does anyone know of a 64x resource pack for RotaryCraft? The standard 16x greyscale is getting a bit old.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That depends what "more difficult" means. If it means I have to mine more for the same goal, then no. If it means overcomplicated crafting chains, then also no. If it lengthens the early game, then doubly no. If it means that machinery is sensitive to doing things the wrong way, then I'll accept that.

The thing is, if I ever play with GT, then it's not for the difficulty, but for some of the things you can do with it.

All right, back to RotaryCraft: does anyone know of a 64x resource pack for RotaryCraft? The standard 16x greyscale is getting a bit old.
Apparently Soartex sort of does, but it is several versions out of date and thus several items have missing textures (and thus appear as small pink triangles).