What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That depends what "more difficult" means. If it means I have to mine more for the same goal, then no. If it means overcomplicated crafting chains, then also no. If it lengthens the early game, then doubly no. If it means that machinery is sensitive to doing things the wrong way, then I'll accept that.
Yes, Double-Yes, Yes, not really. The only thing you can do wrong with GT machines is give them too much power. But then there are transformer upgrades.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It actually speeds the early progression now.

So far, no 64x textures that I can find. I was working on some 32x ones, but I lost interest in the project.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
It actually speeds the early progression now.

So far, no 64x textures that I can find. I was working on some 32x ones, but I lost interest in the project.
That'll happen even if you like textureing, you'll see just how many textures you need to edit and burn out instantly it's a "I wont get this done before next update!" which would require extra updating of what you already did.
I think Soartex fanver is a compilation of many people's work. You can't re-texture modded minecraft alone and get things done in a timely manner, this gets compounded if you want >16X textures and if you insist on animating some machines.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That depends what "more difficult" means. If it means I have to mine more for the same goal, then no. If it means overcomplicated crafting chains, then also no. If it lengthens the early game, then doubly no. If it means that machinery is sensitive to doing things the wrong way, then I'll accept that.

The thing is, if I ever play with GT, then it's not for the difficulty, but for some of the things you can do with it.

All right, back to RotaryCraft: does anyone know of a 64x resource pack for RotaryCraft? The standard 16x greyscale is getting a bit old.

Then never play Gregtech... because there's not all that much you can do with it that can't be done with another mod better. Whether that's more challenging, faster, easier on system resources, or whatever you want to name. He didn't have any particularly innovative content before I stuck him and all his mods in perpetuity on my permanent blacklist, he apparently did some stuff with the things in the place since then, but knowing greg? It's just "HEY! IT'S LIKE THIS STUFF YOU HEARD OF BEFORE. Only... GREGIFIED!"

And I mean, congratulations. You sunk time and energy into a numerical infinity slightly greater than your previous numerical infinity. While this can be fun, it seems weird to put this machismo around it. "Yeah! You aren't REALLY wasting power yet!" I had the same feeling when I finished my GT fusion reactor, and I vowed never again to waste my time when there were challenging things to automate.
A) Not just slightly. BigReactors output in kiloRF right? A Tokamak fusion reactor outputs in the millions.
B) I can find a use for the total output of a BigReactors reactor pretty easily. MFR Lasers for one. I can't recall... do ExU Ender Quarries speed up when fed more power? Even if not, the major use in Reika's mods is a simpler method of transferring his shaft power. With cross-dimensional transfer it allows you to save the render lag and such from the fusion reactor, and then power your disparate Rotarycraft machines anywhere. Note that the conversion from shaft power to RF means some of Reika's machines use RIDICULOUS amounts of RF to operate at reasonable speeds. Also most of them can be pushed to obscene speeds if you need them to (which can be required for certain playstyles)

The other thing is that many of these megareactors can be community projects for a community power channel. I certainly intend my reactors to do this for my server :)

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Well, considering that my last bit of retexturing was a minor interface tweak to the JSTR pack so I could read the numbers on my MFSU's and the like, it's not surprising. I was only actually bumping the quality on the static pieces. If it moves, I don't care, because in motion means I can't tell the difference.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Is this legitimate or are you joking? What kind of power are we talking about?

I guess I gotta do it in my series.

If you're serious regarding your thaumcraft remark, is that any different than us flexing our nuclear reactors?

Honestly to me the fun is in finding novel builds. Double fun if no one else has done it.

As a reasonable answer either way, its fun to challenge myself and others and see if I can "one up" what i've done before. After a while automation challenges bore me.

Yeah, automation for automation's sake is actually sorta boring. I like stuff like WayofTime's mining spells in Blood Magic because I still get to walk around mining effectively, I'm just doing it as a minor deity.

Reactions: Pyure

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Then never play Gregtech... because there's not all that much you can do with it that can't be done with another mod better. Whether that's more challenging, faster, easier on system resources, or whatever you want to name. He didn't have any particularly innovative content before I stuck him and all his mods in perpetuity on my permanent blacklist, he apparently did some stuff with the things in the place since then, but knowing greg? It's just "HEY! IT'S LIKE THIS STUFF YOU HEARD OF BEFORE. Only... GREGIFIED!"

A) Not just slightly. BigReactors output in kiloRF right? A Tokamak fusion reactor outputs in the millions.
B) I can find a use for the total output of a BigReactors reactor pretty easily. MFR Lasers for one. I can't recall... do ExU Ender Quarries speed up when fed more power? Even if not, the major use in Reika's mods is a simpler method of transferring his shaft power. With cross-dimensional transfer it allows you to save the render lag and such from the fusion reactor, and then power your disparate Rotarycraft machines anywhere. Note that the conversion from shaft power to RF means some of Reika's machines use RIDICULOUS amounts of RF to operate at reasonable speeds. Also most of them can be pushed to obscene speeds if you need them to (which can be required for certain playstyles)

The other thing is that many of these megareactors can be community projects for a community power channel. I certainly intend my reactors to do this for my server :)
I disagree with that. The gregtech mod has some pretty cool machines if i remember *i last played it in ultimate*

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I disagree with that. The gregtech mod has some pretty cool machines if i remember *i last played it in ultimate*
I've been playing gregtech all night. I want to blow my brains out because its tricky, but I like it that way, and I couldn't care less about the folks who say "its not hard, just tedious."

Anything at all can be boiled down to "mere tedium" eventually.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing gregtech all night. I want to blow my brains out because its tricky, but I like it that way, and I couldn't care less about the folks who say "its not hard, just tedious."

Anything at all can be boiled down to "mere tedium" eventually.
um ok? i feel like you meant to quote the other guys post?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I just looked at it, and I'm trying it out again. It looks like he's actually got content (which is greatly based on lengthening the time in every tier of tech... but this IS GregoriousT we're talking about here) for a change instead of "This is the Matter Fabricator. It's like the Mass Fabricator, only more expensive". Back in the Beta A pack and even a bit into Ultimate, I really couldn't see the point. It added a bunch of ores that I was never going to use (then again, so did Redpower... Tungsten... grrrrr), upset the VERY long-standing tier system of IC (I played back in Minecraft's Beta 1.8 days. I think Alblaka had JUST added the Nano suit when I started. Even then the Macerator was one of the first 4 machines you built, generally after a generator, and batbox), and tacked on new things to the end of the tier system, which were basically like all the rest of IC2 content, except BIGGER.

Now while he's still very much into the grindfest, and with the new-ish "gregification" of IC2-EXP he's kinda doing the same "this is like IC2, only I have it EVERYWHERES"; at least he's added things, like steam power, a few more kinds of generator (Some of the names look familiar but I can't recall if I've ever actually played with 'em), he's finally gotten off that damned high-horse about the bronze amount given by various forms of making Bronze, and a few more interesting things like covers. I'm also going to give a good look at the configs and try not to throw my computer out the windows or start believing in god. Because either he's still got the same "documentation" style as before, or his configs are finally readable without having to go to the thread. I'll also be the judge of how "fully configurable" his config actually is.

If it actually looks like he's changed his ways from the <censored> that he has been many MANY times in the past, I might actually include his mod in my 1.7 server... but I'm still operating from the position of "Greg the spoiled brat coder throwing tantrums" because of old history. He made a REALLY bad impression on me because of how he's reacted to... well... everyone that isn't an immediate sycophant.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Anyone know the number comparison between the two Fusion Reactors?
According to the wiki:

Gregtech's Fusion Reactor: up to 67584 EU/t, which equals about 270 KRF/t or 1.485 GW

I don't have numbers for ReactorCraft's fusion reactor, but I've seen fission reactor designs with a similar output.

Not that the output really matters to me at this level of power. The reason I want to explore Gregtech's reactor is purely visual: it's a more compact design and the supporting infrastructure looks more convincing to me. This is related to two things about ReactorCraft/RotaryCraft I don't like: the lack of multiblock structures where one-block items really aren't believable (excepting the fusion reactor, I guess there the need overcame even Reika's dislike of multiblocks), and the lack of verticality in some components, most notably reactor designs, but also clutches, gearboxes etc.. The fusion reactor looks ultra-cool, but I would like it more with two blocks less radius and four blocks more height.

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing as one can get... what was it... 50 million RF a tick, assuming one uses the Tokamak solely for RF production and refuse to cut a tiny amount of it's neutron output for producing more fuel for it. If one does want to make it totally self-sustaining... it's roughly 45 million RF a tick. Then again, I haven't checked these numbers in ages. Reika could tell you exactly how much one could milk it for now.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I just looked at it, and I'm trying it out again. It looks like he's actually got content (which is greatly based on lengthening the time in every tier of tech... but this IS GregoriousT we're talking about here) for a change instead of "This is the Matter Fabricator. It's like the Mass Fabricator, only more expensive". Back in the Beta A pack and even a bit into Ultimate, I really couldn't see the point. It added a bunch of ores that I was never going to use (then again, so did Redpower... Tungsten... grrrrr), upset the VERY long-standing tier system of IC (I played back in Minecraft's Beta 1.8 days. I think Alblaka had JUST added the Nano suit when I started. Even then the Macerator was one of the first 4 machines you built, generally after a generator, and batbox), and tacked on new things to the end of the tier system, which were basically like all the rest of IC2 content, except BIGGER.

Now while he's still very much into the grindfest, and with the new-ish "gregification" of IC2-EXP he's kinda doing the same "this is like IC2, only I have it EVERYWHERES"; at least he's added things, like steam power, a few more kinds of generator (Some of the names look familiar but I can't recall if I've ever actually played with 'em), he's finally gotten off that damned high-horse about the bronze amount given by various forms of making Bronze, and a few more interesting things like covers. I'm also going to give a good look at the configs and try not to throw my computer out the windows or start believing in god. Because either he's still got the same "documentation" style as before, or his configs are finally readable without having to go to the thread. I'll also be the judge of how "fully configurable" his config actually is.

If it actually looks like he's changed his ways from the <censored> that he has been many MANY times in the past, I might actually include his mod in my 1.7 server... but I'm still operating from the position of "Greg the spoiled brat coder throwing tantrums" because of old history. He made a REALLY bad impression on me because of how he's reacted to... well... everyone that isn't an immediate sycophant.

Maybe try the Infinity modpack, found in the third party modpacks section. I've been checking it out for a week or so now. Its a good example of how a modpack should be tailored.

Way back in the day, Greg took it on himself to make his mod forcibly re-balance packs it was added to. This is however the duty of the pack assembler, not a specific modder. Infinity seems to handle this really well; the mods have been tweaked massively to deal with exploits and other silliness. Surprisingly he managed to get BigReactors in there, although I have yet to see how he streamlined it in.

I can't really get the same hate on for GT some others can; the mod was a pioneer in many ways, and we've learned that configs are the best tools a modder can provide us when it comes to creating a good mod experience.

Getting sort of back to the point of the thread: I'd really love to see a similar approach taken to Rotary/ReactorCraft. Sadly those mods are under a minetweaker injunction by Reika.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Getting sort of back to the point of the thread: I'd really love to see a similar approach taken to Rotary/ReactorCraft. Sadly those mods are under a minetweaker injunction by Reika.
I'd be pretty pissed, too, if another mod (or even a pack creator) fiddled with my mod's recipes without permission. I think the relative ease of making RotaryCraft components is part of its design philosophy. Compromising that should not be done without explicit permission.

Having tried to install Gregtech lately, I still feel it's extremely intrusive to the point that I haven't continued with it for fear of adverse effects.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
The tokamak I have in my survival world is currently running 6 HPTs, which produce 8.59GW each. If I'd built it with more balanced steam distribution in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if I could squeeze in a couple more. That's including the small efficiency loss incurred by letting the reactor breed its own tritium.

If you were really concerned with efficiency, I wouldn't be surprised if a ReC tokamak could be run with ammonia, rather than water, so the maximum power output would be even higher. I wouldn't recommend running a tokamak with standard turbines, however, which is a necessity when using ammonia, because all the block updates produced by the steam inside like 50 of them cause the server do irritating things.

Reactions: YX33A

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'd be pretty pissed, too, if another mod (or even a pack creator) fiddled with my mod's recipes without permission. I think the relative ease of making RotaryCraft components is part of its design philosophy.

Completely, absolutely disagree with this, except for:
Compromising that should not be done without explicit permission.
of course. Fortunately the majority of modders I'm aware of don't seem to take this approach.

Any software I develop I ensure can be tailored to a reasonable extent by the end user. If I ever bother to publicly release a mod, I'll see that it is extremely mod-pack friendly: as much open configuration as possible, and carte-blanche to tweak recipies any way you like. How on earth can I possibly dictate to a modpack author what is balanced in their pack?

I'm never going to be the one who says "You can include my mod, but when adjusting for balance and fixing exploits, all other mods must give way before me." This is developer nimbyism and I have zero tolerance for it.

Reactions: Not_Steve and YX33A

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Completely, absolutely disagree with this, except for:
of course. Fortunately the majority of modders I'm aware of don't seem to take this approach.

Any software I develop I ensure can be tailored to a reasonable extent by the end user. If I ever bother to publicly release a mod, I'll see that it is extremely mod-pack friendly: as much open configuration as possible, and carte-blanche to tweak recipies any way you like. How on earth can I possibly dictate to a modpack author what is balanced in their pack?

I'm never going to be the one who says "You can include my mod, but when adjusting for balance and fixing exploits, all other mods must give way before me." This is developer nimbyism and I have zero tolerance for it.
Can't you change all the recipes you want on your own singeplayer world?