What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Well, I rejigged my setup to give myself more space. I'm powering all my non-RoC machines with a single rotational dynamo, including all the MFR farming gear producing stuff for jet fuel.

I did make a minor boob with the placing of my gas turbines though. I need to walk in front of them to get to my extractors ^_^

It'll take me a few minutes to sort that though. My main annoyance I have to solve today is the automation of my Fractionator thingies. Extracting the finished jet fuel is fine, I have a fluid import bus for that, but i'm using precision export buses to insert the ingredients and it keeps putting them in the wrong order and wont update stacks once they are in place. I was thinking maybe factorization routers or logistics pipes would solve that, but i've never used either before...

Reactions: Pyure

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Well, I rejigged my setup to give myself more space. I'm powering all my non-RoC machines with a single rotational dynamo, including all the MFR farming gear producing stuff for jet fuel.

I did make a minor boob with the placing of my gas turbines though. I need to walk in front of them to get to my extractors ^_^

It'll take me a few minutes to sort that though. My main annoyance I have to solve today is the automation of my Fractionator thingies. Extracting the finished jet fuel is fine, I have a fluid import bus for that, but i'm using precision export buses to insert the ingredients and it keeps putting them in the wrong order and wont update stacks once they are in place. I was thinking maybe factorization routers or logistics pipes would solve that, but i've never used either before...
Why do you think I love Logistics Pipes and why I'm unable to dispense of it. It's made for things like this. Here's a simple setup:

Make an ME interface and set it to export the components for jet fuel production, one stack of each. Make a Logistics Power Junction, set it down at a convenient location near that ME interface, and connect it to a Logistics Pipe, doesn't matter which one. Make sure that there is one pipe connection between your routing system and the power junction at any time. Note that in some versions of LP, the pipe must connect to the side of the junction, not the bottom.

Now for the routing: put a Logistics Provider Pipe on your ME interface, run golden buildcraft pipes to your Fractionation unit, ending with a Logistics Supplier Pipe into its side. Then, open the Supplier Pipe's interface by right-clicking on it with a wrench (I'm using TE's flux-infused omni-wrench). Now you can tell the Supplier exactly how much of any of up to nine different items (up to 127) it should put into the Fractionation unit. I suggest setting it to one stack of each component. The mode switch is set to "Bulk50" by default which means that the Supplier sends a request to any Provider in the system set to provide these items (or all, if not set) whenever half of the required number can be moved in a single request. That means whenever a stack of something is reduced to 31, a new packet of 32 will be requested.

BTW, the LP systems works through tesseracts. You'll just need any non-fluid logistics pipe to connect to each one. One-to-one connections only though.

As for the gas turbine - I wonder if there is anyone who hasn't died around one yet. I got sucked into one because I forgot to set the ECU to 0 before connecting the fuel line...

Edit:
If you expand your LP system later - there are some very annoying kinks in how LP works together with AE. Basically, you can't have two provider pipes exporting the same items connected your ME network, including subnetworks if one is visible from the other. That means if you make your ME network generally visible to the LP system, using export buses to autocraft components to be exported into the LP system results in providing loops and spilled items, even if you use the export buses to autocraft into standard chests. For that reason, I'm using ComputerCraft code to autocraft items I'll need to export into the LP system. Why am I making everything in my ME network accessible for my LP system? Well, among other things, that lets me use the remote orderer to request items from anywhere, including different dimensions, routed through an Ender Pouch. Of course that means I can't connect any other provider pipe to the ME system.

Last edited:
Reactions: malicious_bloke

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Compact apart from the 14 Aqueous Accumulators, that is. Do you really need that many?
If you're using accumulators, yes. I wouldn't recommend it because you can simply make a setup that looks like this that accomplishes exactly the same thing.

Incidentally, if you get into Reactorcraft, you'll find that ExtraUtils transfer nodes are just about the only efficient method of generating the massive amounts of water required to keep a larger reactor from going up. Considerably easier than an array of 5,000 aqueous accumulators.

As for the gas turbine - I wonder if there is anyone who hasn't died around one yet. I got sucked into one because I forgot to set the ECU to 0 before connecting the fuel line...
I found out the hard way that grinding up against the side of an otherwise enclosed turbine ends... unfortunately.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@malicious_bloke:
One more thing: All pipe junctions in your LP routing system should be Logistics Pipes. Otherwise items will get routed randomly at those junctions. They'll eventually land where they're supposed to, but it may take time you don't have. Also, the junction must of course be powered. LP requires little power unless you remote order from different dimensions.
[DOUBLEPOST=1402917944][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you're using accumulators, yes. I wouldn't recommend it because you can simply make a setup that looks like this that accomplishes exactly the same thing.

Incidentally, if you get into Reactorcraft, you'll find that ExtraUtils transfer nodes are just about the only efficient method of generating the massive amounts of water required to keep a larger reactor from going up. Considerably easier than an array of 5,000 aqueous accumulators.
I've already run into difficulties with my own Extractor setup and the solar tower. RoC machines generally require insane amounts of water it appears. This seems excessive, considering that one AA can supply up to five Railcraft steam boilers of maximum size. If you use a transfer node, will that run the danger of drying up the water source if you have some lag in your system and blocks aren't updated fast enough?

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
A reactor from Big Reactor can easily get 20K RF/tick and more. If you go with ReactorCraft then you can go even more.
Indeed. When I went to bed last night I was creating 3.9M RF/T (two ReactorCraft reactors running). Not that I run that much fulltime, but its nice to know its there.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/reactorcraft-again-this-time-with-breeders.46780/[DOUBLEPOST=1402923813][/DOUBLEPOST]
Agreed. Those upgrades are a life saver.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Once in place, they mine a horizontal tunnel of any cross-section up to 7x5 blocks in size. Every block in the cross-section adds to the required torque. I don't recall the exact specifications at the moment, but my borers mine 7x5 tunnels through anything but obsidian with 512kW, and enchanted with Efficiency IV they mine one layer of blocks every 7 seconds. I have four running in parallel on a movable frame, that would make 210 blocks in 7 seconds. This is a mid-tier setup, but your ore processing will struggle to keep up with it unless you put an order of magnitude more power into it.

Note that it is more energy-efficient to run two borers than to run one at double the rads/s, because operation speed only increases in a logarithmic relation to the power input.
It is more convenient to say something like exponential.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Logarithmic is the correct word.
You make it sound as if exponential was slightly off instead of completely wrong =)
If it was exponential returns would be increasing instead of diminishing when pumping more speed into a machine. Or, if we talk bases < 1, you would be ill-advised to run your machine at any but lowest speed possible, more speed would mean it works slower.

Reactions: immibis and YX33A

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
At school, we just have a tendency to use exponential, rather than logarithmic. I am not sure which is more common, but both describe the same thing. It's just that you can distinguish between inverse and non-inverse with exponential.

Is inverse-logarithmic a thing? Does that describe the same thing as an inverse exponential?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Well, exponential is the opposite of logarithmic. Why are you recommending to use completely wrong terms just because people tend to not understand the correct one?

Reactions: YX33A and immibis

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
At school, we just have a tendency to use exponential, rather than logarithmic. I am not sure which is more common, but both describe the same thing. It's just that you can distinguish between inverse and non-inverse with exponential.

Is inverse-logarithmic a thing? Does that describe the same thing as an inverse exponential?
What kinda school do you go to o.o

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If logarithmic is the opposite of exponential, (thus inverse exponential), the amount of energy required to produce more speed/torque, would be less than at the start. Exponential growth suggests that as you progress, the required amount of energy increases at a growing proportion.

If this is the case, then it would be more beneficial to dump more energy into a logarithmic system, since it is the opposite of exponential, the situation where it cost more energy per speed, the higher energy you go. Instead, you've described logarithmic as the opposite of exponential, where it costs less energy per speed, the higher energy you go.

Logarithmic functions are scaled in such a way that exponential growth, inverse or not, is shown to be more or less linear on a graph. It is not opposite, since a <1 base would allow you to scale proportionately infinitesimal numbers, linearlly. Conversely, >1 base would allow you to scale proportionately infinite numbers.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Picking nerdfights over such minutiae is fun. Please continue.

Or start posting stuff from xkcd to derail everything, either suits me...

Reactions: YX33A

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
If logarithmic is the opposite of exponential, (thus inverse exponential), the amount of energy required to produce more speed/torque, would be less than at the start. Exponential growth suggests that as you progress, the required amount of energy increases at a growing proportion.

If this is the case, then it would be more beneficial to dump more energy into a logarithmic system, since it is the opposite of exponential, the situation where it cost more energy per speed, the higher energy you go. Instead, you've described logarithmic as the opposite of exponential, where it costs less energy per speed, the higher energy you go.

Logarithmic functions are scaled in such a way that exponential growth, inverse or not, is shown to be more or less linear on a graph. It is not opposite, since a <1 base would allow you to scale proportionately infinitesimal numbers, linearlly. Conversely, >1 base would allow you to scale proportionately infinite numbers.
Of couse it all depends on what you plot against what. We were talking about machine efficiency as a function of input speed, which is logarithmic.

Reactions: YX33A

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg

also my shiny new power room just exploded. No idea why, none of my gas turbines were damaged afaik

Reactions: trajing

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I never got this the first time I saw it.
I'm wondering if its because I suck at colors (it looks like something drawn or written in the middle?)

I can't make it out either. If you read it backwards it looks a bit like SPAJOING?