What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If I'm understanding this correctly, RoC gives you mining, ore processing, energy gen, weapons, etc. all in one mod?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Does most of its features trump a lot of the other mods? 5x ore processing, 7000 block/second mining, 11 million RF/t machines.

Reactions: immibis

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Does most of its features trump a lot of the other mods? 5x ore processing, 7000 block/second mining, 11 million RF/t machines.

If you're willing to do simple math, yes, RotaryCraft trumps other tech mods IMO.

Reactions: YX33A

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm.

Now, in your guy's opinion, is this more of an SMP thing, where you can do extremely elaborate things? It was noted that fusion was supposed to be a group project type thing, which is intriguing. Same direction that GT fusion went, back in the days of 1.4.7.

I play SSP, so I have nobody to show off all these things too, so I'm just wondering if there is any practical use for the mod, or is it mainly to do over-the-top type things, that require teamwork.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm.

Now, in your guy's opinion, is this more of an SMP thing, where you can do extremely elaborate things? It was noted that fusion was supposed to be a group project type thing, which is intriguing. Same direction that GT fusion went, back in the days of 1.4.7.

I play SSP, so I have nobody to show off all these things too, so I'm just wondering if there is any practical use for the mod, or is it mainly to do over-the-top type things, that require teamwork.
I use mainly RoC currently in my SSP world. I really like the power system and machines :3

E: By "mainly", I mean I don't have any machines from other mods than RoC as of now.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
It balances it with the fact that 90% of Minecraft players can't comprehend that Power = Nm * rad/s
Well, do you know what the classical term for a newton-metre is, similarly the term for radians per second?[DOUBLEPOST=1402891298][/DOUBLEPOST]
I use mainly RoC currently in my SSP world. I really like the power system and machines :3
How do you get started? For the most part, I've been skipping all RoC ores that I come across in my Monster world.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Well, do you know what the classical term for a newton-metre is, similarly the term for radians per second?

I'm not sure if ya mean torque or "force moment(?)" <- I'm not really up there with the English words for this kinda stuff :I

How do you get started? For the most part, I've been skipping all RoC ores that I come across in my Monster world.

I got a DC electric engine, used it to power a pump to get water into a fermenter (powered by another DC engine) and then started making ethanol crystals :3

E: Obviously before anything I made the Blast furnace & Worktable, but those are kinda given~

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if ya mean torque or "force moment(?)" <- I'm not really up there with the English words for this kinda stuff :I

I got a DC electric engine, used it to power a pump to get water into a fermenter (powered by another DC engine) and then started making ethanol crystals :3

E: Obviously before anything I made the Blast furnace & Worktable, but those are kinda given~
Well, if people understood what a moment was, or rotational velocity, the concepts in RoC would be quite simple.

How many different antics are there. See, for mods like TE, you have dynamos. RC has steam boilers. IC2 has solar, wind, water or the various antics, including lava. Things are quite simple.

If you could simplify it into that kind of breakdown, it would be appreciated. Do you start with any type of engine, that requires a certain type of fuel? Then what?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
For the most part, I've been skipping all RoC ores that I come across in my Monster world.
That would be difficult not to do, considering none exist. :p

Well, if people understood what a moment was, or rotational velocity, the concepts in RoC would be quite simple.

How many different antics are there. See, for mods like TE, you have dynamos. RC has steam boilers. IC2 has solar, wind, water or the various antics, including lava. Things are quite simple.

If you could simplify it into that kind of breakdown, it would be appreciated. Do you start with any type of engine, that requires a certain type of fuel? Then what?
There is not one clear progression like in most of the other mods. Start with what you need, either as a prerequisite or directly.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019

In my opinion there's 1 breakpoint earlygame in RoC, and that's the torque requirement of the grinder, which is 128Nm. To meet this, there are multiple options, but it all boils down to getting the 128Nm. The easiest ways to achieve this are:

a) 4 Steam engines (each produce 32Nm at 512 rad/s, and thus 4 of these "linked" to the grinder via shaft junctions will hit 128Nm)
b) 1 gasoline engine (which produces 128Nm at 512 rad/s and which is what I did and why I started producing ethanol)

Honestly tho, just craft the RoC handbook. It makes everything so simple.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's more so that it would mean stepping away from what I know. TE, etc. I know the numbers by heart. I usually don't delve into a new mod, until I have a full ME system, sustained energy, etc. But since this mod covers them all, it would seem rather redundant.

ReactorCraft does have ores, does it not? Calcite, etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1402892289][/DOUBLEPOST]
In my opinion there's 1 breakpoint earlygame in RoC, and that's the torque requirement of the grinder, which is 128Nm. To meet this, there are multiple options, but it all boils down to getting the 128Nm. The easiest ways to achieve this are:

a) 4 Steam engines (each produce 32Nm at 512 rad/s, and thus 4 of these "linked" to the grinder via shaft junctions will hit 128Nm)
b) 1 gasoline engine (which is what I did and why I started producing ethanol)

Honestly tho, just craft the RoC handbook. It makes everything so simple.
Ahhh, so you can use Forestry Ethanol?

Interesting. So is it engine -> gear box -> machine, or am I missing something? I keep hearing about gear boxes, which I assume people use to ramp up their mechanical advantage. What are the limitations? What's stopping you from getting a 200:1 gearbox (say it existed) and turning you 20 RF/t into 4000. Also, assuming you had the torque.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's more so that it would mean stepping away from what I know. TE, etc. I know the numbers by heart. I usually don't delve into a new mod, until I have a full ME system, sustained energy, etc. But since this mod covers them all, it would seem rather redundant.

ReactorCraft does have ores, does it not? Calcite, etc.
Aye, along with pitchblende, magnesomething, all the bag-filling colors of fluorite etc~~

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh, so you can use Forestry Ethanol?

Interesting. So is it engine -> gear box -> machine, or am I missing something? I keep hearing about gear boxes, which I assume people use to ramp up their mechanical advantage. What are the limitations? What's stopping you from getting a 200:1 gearbox (say it existed) and turning you 20 RF/t into 4000.

No, Forestry ethanol is a different thing. Fermenter from RoC produces ethanol crystals, which when fed to RoC machines automatically turn into liquid to fuel em.

Also, gearboxes keep the power (watts) that flows through them constant (Unless damaged, but that's special case). What they do is change the ratio of torque to speed. All the machines have different requirements (more often than not there's at least minimum power and either minimum torque or speed). Also, for example grinder works faster if it receives the power at higher speed, but giving it more torque than 128Nm does nothing. This means that if you, for example, use a performance engine (which outputs 256Nm at 1024 rad/s), you'd "waste" half the torque.

This is where you put a 2:1 ratio gearbox inbetween, making the power stay at constant while changing the input ratio to 128Nm at 2048 rad/s, effectively increasing the speed of the grinder.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhh, icic. So it's just a way to readjust your torque. Are there any limitations, or are you able to do any conversion you want?

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhh, icic. So it's just a way to readjust your torque. Are there any limitations, or are you able to do any conversion you want?
Gearboxes can go up to 16:1 conversion, a CVT unit can go up to 32:1 and I think there's a thing that can go 256:1?

V: What he said.