What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
heh, "floptical" drives. I remember when they tried to get those to catch on. verbatim made the most reliable disks. i've still got my old 486 with an LS120 drive.

remember when this was cutting edge?
Creative%20Wave%20Blaster%20II%20DB%20CT1910_resize.jpg

there was a night and day difference. :eek:
Haven't seen those in a while. I can almost hear the MIDI beeps

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
so old :/

Sure.

It's funny though. I'll let you in on a secret. The idea that kids are cooler than adults is a massive conspiracy by your parents to get you to go to bed on time. And oh god, don't even get me started on the music situation, it's hilarious to watch pre-teens talk about "up and coming" bands with production schedules and multi-million-dollar advertising budgets.

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
Sure.

It's funny though. I'll let you in on a secret. The idea that kids are cooler than adults is a massive conspiracy by your parents to get you to go to bed on time. And oh god, don't even get me started on the music situation, it's hilarious to watch pre-teens talk about "up and coming" bands with production schedules and multi-million-dollar advertising budgets.
As your elder, I invite you to remove yourself from my lawn.

My first computer experience was on one of these:
pet4032-12.jpg

10 PRINT "WHD23 IS AWESOME!!!! ";
20 GOTO 10

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Sure.

I wonder how old you think i am. You old geezer you :)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
As your elder, I invite you to remove yourself from my lawn.

My first computer experience was on one of these:
pet4032-12.jpg

10 PRINT "WHD23 IS AWESOME!!!! ";
20 GOTO 10

Sorry, if we're playing the "who started with the oldest hardware game" you're going to need a machine using reel to reel tape drives to beat me. Hell, my first email address? It was back when there were 3 places that could do it and you delivered the email by hand.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
@whd23 that looks like a newer model than we had. ;)

we all used to light our cigarettes by rubbing two sticks together, but thankfully we have Bic's nowadays. the old ways aint the best ways, sometimes it's better to have not seen the dark ages. for that reason alone i envy the youngsters a bit.

but still, always...
getoffmylawn.gif

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, if we're playing the "who started with the oldest hardware game" you're going to need a machine using reel to reel tape drives to beat me. Hell, my first email address? It was back when there were 3 places that could do it and you delivered the email by hand.
External magnetic storage?! Ain't nobody got time for that!

Paper punch tape on the ASR-33 Teletype.
video_ttysession.jpg

Learned assembly (hand-coded, in octal please) on a PDP-11 with 4k (I think) core memory.
11_panel_2.jpg

Are you still on my lawn? :D

Reactions: Staxed and Padfoote

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
that's ok. I don't need to out-Old anybody.

I'm old enough to have fond memories of technology and seeing the evolution of it. 85' was a good year to be a new pc user. very glad I missed out on the punch cards, the reel to reel, and all of that.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
that's ok. I don't need to out-Old anybody.

I'm old enough to have fond memories of technology and seeing the evolution of it. 85' was a good year to be a new pc user. very glad I missed out on the punch cards, the reel to reel, and all of that.
I'm just having some fun :)

However, learning to program the PDP-11 and the 8085 via hand-assembly was (IMO) really good training in how to be careful with resources and to be mindful of exactly what the machine is doing. Obviously the complex systems we have today couldn't practically be programmed in assembly, but it was still a great learning experience.

Reactions: immibis

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Heh. So I updated monster to 1.1.2 and I have a new world with the new update to RC. I've decided to basically try and do as much as possible with it, just to break out of my usual TE3/quarryplus routine.

I did my usual startup routine though, got TiCO and Thaumcraft on the go and i'm basically wondering what the next early-game priority should be. Blast furnace is a given, but to make HSLA steel I need gunpowder, this either means starting MFR and making a creeper spawner or finding a source of sulfur. Easiest way for that I reckon is to pulverise coal (which i sort of need to do either way if i'm making gunpowder), so I'm back to TE3 already. *scratches chin*

And then mid-game, should I delve into reactorcraft earlyish or make an RF source and start working up through the Tiers of Magnetostatic engines. *ponders*