What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Pretty much this. The changes to the magnetostatics really did the trick though, I started looking for faster engines precisely because trying to magnetize tier 2 upgrades off a line of tier 1 magnetostatics is a cripplingly slow process before you can break bedrock for a CVT

Never looked back though, even when my fully automatic jet fuel farm crashes my framerate :p
I haven't achieved full automation yet, even though I have everything I need except the stuff for making netherrack. I just need to clone a few bees, which is short work for Gendustry. How are you doing it? I actually don't see the need for a constantly running production chain since I don't need my jet fuel-consuming engines and machines to run constantly.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I haven't achieved full automation yet, even though I have everything I need except the stuff for making netherrack. I just need to clone a few bees, which is short work for Gendustry. How are you doing it? I actually don't see the need for a constantly running production chain since I don't need my jet fuel-consuming engines and machines to run constantly.

The additives besides ethanol are all from magical crops. The ethanol production line uses an MFR rubber sapling farm, a sugar farm and my seemingly endless dirt barrel. This all feeds via a tangle of logistics pipes into two fractionator thingies and from there into my ME network.

In fairness I don't run the engines constantly, only when I need to turn the extractors on.

And pretty soon i'll be tearing up the whole thing to be replaced by a couple of turbines and a fission reactor.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I must just be sensationally lazy. I can't be bothered to automate something when its much simpler to take 10 minutes and grab a lifetime supply of it. Netherrack is a good example of something that is just so mindbogglingly abundant that I'd happily go fill a few barrels with it and not worry about it again for a few months (really, you'll progress past jetfuel and into fission or something else long before you run out of a few barrels of netherrack)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Some people want their production line to be renewable as a future-proofing measure (or to satisfy their obsessive nature).
Me? I agree with you Pyure. For dirt, stone, sand, gravel, and netherrack? I don't bother automating them because I've usually got something already going that produces those as a waste byproduct.

One 64x64 BC quarry at the roof of a non-natura'd nether will get you somewhere in the neighborhood of half a million netherrack for the price of some MJ/RF and the occasional lava check (assuming you don't have QuarryPlus or some method of getting water source blocks in the nether. I actually need to see if there are any methods that work now. My old standby was the Factorization wand of cooling, but with the removal of Wrath Fire, the Router, and the Wand of Cooling. I kinda don't see the point of FZ anymore. It has been on probation since the announcement of the eventual removal of routers, and it's failed my personal test. A case of "everything this mod does, another does better" (Yes that was a reference to a song from the Annie Get Your Gun musical... and re-used nigh innumerable times since). Servos are amusing, but bulky. The power system is cute. The ore tripling system is annoying to automate. The sockets have a few places where they've got useful attachments for which they're uniquely suited to some task, but generally seem... bland and boring.

Anyone know if there's a way in modded Minecraft to place water in the nether?

Reactions: YX33A and Pyure

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, my plan was to try Ars Magica, and Blood Magic, do more research on the other magic mods, and such. I was just wondering if anyone had a confirmed method besides giving yourself water blocks via NEI/TMI.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Actually there is no maintenance in RoC except for resupply... unless you fail at resupplying, then things like gearboxes can get damaged. Reika can correct me if I'm wrong, it's not like I've done everything in RotaryCraft :)

Reactions: Padfoote

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Heh. I just use the lion's share of my diamonds to start with diamond gears. That way I don't have to worry about needing to continually refill the lubricant.

That usually sees me through until I get a CVT and a decently fast set of engines, at which point I switch everything to bedrock and laugh at proles with their canola farms. Set up CVT, one bucket of lubricant. Golden. I did once make the mistake of trying to use diamond shafts on the far side of a CVT set to 32:1 speed taking its power from my turbines. Something about 2Mrad/s and diamond shafts not being compatible XD

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I must just be sensationally lazy. I can't be bothered to automate something when its much simpler to take 10 minutes and grab a lifetime supply of it. Netherrack is a good example of something that is just so mindbogglingly abundant that I'd happily go fill a few barrels with it and not worry about it again for a few months (really, you'll progress past jetfuel and into fission or something else long before you run out of a few barrels of netherrack)
Oh, I don't disagree. Most likely I won't bother to set up something for this beyond a proof-of-concept that it would work if I needed it.

Also, lubricant resupply is a very annoying factor and the main incentive to move to bedrock.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Heh. I just use the lion's share of my diamonds to start with diamond gears. That way I don't have to worry about needing to continually refill the lubricant.
Also, lubricant resupply is a very annoying factor and the main incentive to move to bedrock.
I thought the same too, and have always avoided lubricant requirements in my playthroughs in the past. However, I did it over the last few days, and it is almost no work at all. :D
Lubricant consumption is slow that a few steam engines and a grinder mean that you will have enough lubricant for 10+ gearboxes.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
**Fixed typo**

The difficulty lies in design, imo. Achieving different tiers, etc. is a matter of time and resource acquisition. A bit of luck and a lot of waiting/mining and you pretty much have all paths open to you.

The real challenge in sandbox games is design. Building something from scratch, when you know that you start in a place that is not significantly representative of the end state, mean that a large portion of good design requires a lot of forward planning. Space, energy, resource, and time considerations are all apart of the process.

The focus of any person's FTB progression should be cross-mod integration. Since the value of a modpack, is in fact having multiple mods to play with. It has taken me 3-4 worlds to fully develop my system of energy gen/transfer, item/resource management/acquisition, tool set acquisition/maintenance, and building strategies (resource and time management).

Understanding key features of all mods, and how they work in conjunction with one another require one to know the finer specifics of each individual mod. IC2 back in 1.4.7 with GT installed was a volatile place to be for a noob. Something as simple as plugging a batbox to a line of LV tin cable meant losing all that cable. Antics of EU/t vs. EU/p and how to properly transform EU both ways required a lot of playing around.

You also had to consider that various machines only took MJ, such that focusing on building a system which centralizes on EU production, meant strategies for handling MJ were required. Yes, you could build multiple, separate energy systems, but from an engineering standpoint you are being quite inefficient with your resources. You will never be able to fully utilize the full potential of your system.

Choices of which end-game tier of armour/tools/weapons, or even machine you wanted to use was a matter of what type of tech path/mod-favoured systems you have built. Nano/quantum require a relatively robust EU generation system, storing ~ 100 million EU in total. Even at 512 EU/t generation that's 200 000 ticks, or 10 000 seconds (3 hours +).

Where does RoC stand? It sounds to me like RoC is a tier based, all-inclusive, do everything tech related mod. This is similar to IC2 and TE. I feel that (after watching the fusion reactor tutorial by Reika) that RoC/ReC(?) attempts to utilize multi-blocks as much as possible, avoiding the 1-block solution type of deal. This is the same as IC2 GT. Additionally, requiring one to understand that a moment = force and how fast you choose to use that moment (rotational speed) will make you think about what you are doing. Similarly to IC2 EU, which is a pain to deal with and one mistake meant blowing up some pretty expensive multiblocks.

The reason why TE is popular, is because there are so many other things to do in FTB. Not everybody playing this game is an engineer, scientist, or mathematician. Already, I can observe the psychology of our scientist players, laymen players, and personal to myself, engineer players. What each of us want and get from FTB is very different.

So, in the end if you want to know why RoC exists, is because Factorization exists beside IC2, TE, BC, etc. All have their own power system, item/liquid/energy transport, and machines that (whether in a system or singular) do precisely the same things. This is what people want from modded Minecraft and is what sets it apart from vanilla. This is why almost all the major mods focus in on these key things. Even TC4 has evolved into a realm which a new genre of automation is being developed.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I thought the same too, and have always avoided lubricant requirements in my playthroughs in the past. However, I did it over the last few days, and it is almost no work at all. :D
Lubricant consumption is slow that a few steam engines and a grinder mean that you will have enough lubricant for 10+ gearboxes.

I agree that lubricant production is really no issue whatsoever. It is one of the easiest things to automate and harvesting canolla give a lot of seeds back.

Reactions: YX33A

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I agree that lubricant production is really no issue whatsoever. It is one of the easiest things to automate and harvesting canolla give a lot of seeds back.
Production is not the issue. The problem lies in the principle of having to supply power transformation blocks with an additional fluid. That, too, isn't hard, but it clutters things up and restricts the ways you can build, and the latter is always the biggest motivator for me to do things in different ways. RoC is already rather frustrating in that with its fixed input sides for most machines, even where it doesn't make any sense. Why the hell must the fuel input in the ECU be on the bottom, forcing me to go one level deeper for a machine that already tends to sit on the lowest layer of any setup?

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is not true.
Out of curiosity, which part isn't true?
* That the input is on the bottom (which I thought was true),
* that it forces you to go deeper (which isn't necessarily true with sneaky pipes)
* or that the block tends to sit on the lowest part of a setup (true for any of my setups as well, but I've had to re-think how I prefer to do it)

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
The shafts. The things that transmit power. Don't they need to be changed every once in a while unless they are bedrock tier? OR am I thinking of an old version?

Also, lubricating shafts. The innuendo piles up.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The shafts. The things that transmit power. Don't they need to be changed every once in a while unless they are bedrock tier? OR am I thinking of an old version?

Also, lubricating shafts. The innuendo piles up.
Nothing ever needs replacing so long as it doesn't take lack-of-lubrication damage, and that only applies to a few blocks (specifically lower-tier gearboxes). The shafts themselves run forever without damage or lubrication.

:)

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this just serves to prove how clueless I am. I remember trying to automate lubricant fabrication in the past only to find itemducts and rotarycraft machines didn't want to work together despite connecting perfectly fine, but that was many versions ago in horizons.