What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, this just serves to prove how clueless I am. I remember trying to automate lubricant fabrication in the past only to find itemducts and rotarycraft machines didn't want to work together despite connecting perfectly fine, but that was many versions ago in horizons.
yeah, its no longer an issue if it was before; in fact itemducts and fluiducts should always be used instead of native pipes, as they have proper bounding boxes implemented (you can "work around" an itemduct to interface with the block behind it)

This is still a massive shame with the steam lines: they're hard to work with (you have to break one to access the block behind) but there's no actual alternative possible with them due to the steam mechanics.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Ah right its the bottom of the engine, not the ecu. Been a while since I used gas power for anything :)
In fact, iirc, at least the gas turbine requires an ECU for automated fuel insertion. Although maybe I never tried to insert from the bottom.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
In fact, iirc, at least the gas turbine requires an ECU for automated fuel insertion. Although maybe I never tried to insert from the bottom.

[insert standard witticism about insertion and bottoms here]

You can actually use fluiducts to keep a Gas turbine supplied with fuel. I *think* you can use a fluid export bus aswell. The ECU is just handy if you don't plan to run the engines at full pelt forever.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
[insert standard witticism about insertion and bottoms here]

You can actually use fluiducts to keep a Gas turbine supplied with fuel. I *think* you can use a fluid export bus aswell. The ECU is just handy if you don't plan to run the engines at full pelt forever.
=)
I remember trying that and it didn't work, but that was (I think) a couple of versions ago.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Reika:
If I may quote from the wiki:

"The ECU is placed below the engine it should control. It also acts as a pipe - for engines that require fuel, it can be piped into the bottom of the ECU which lets the fuel pass through to the engine." The hand book doesn't mention fuel pumping at all, nor does it mention placement of the ECU. So: how does it work? Is the ECU always below the engine or always at the side where the fuel comes in. And can you pump fuel in from any side?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I know from working on a wiki that information isn't always correct, and wikis should always have their information verified with testing before believing it.

Reactions: YX33A

Crindigo

Jul 29, 2019
...wow, didn't even realize I could pump jet fuel in through the ECU, this will make things easier. I currently have some contraption with buckets, autonomous activators, a fluid transposer, and a comparator to turn it off when the turbine fuel level is above a certain point (since it will happily consume an entire bucket no matter the level).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
...wow, didn't even realize I could pump jet fuel in through the ECU, this will make things easier. I currently have some contraption with buckets, autonomous activators, a fluid transposer, and a comparator to turn it off when the turbine fuel level is above a certain point (since it will happily consume an entire bucket no matter the level).
Yeah, the ECU is buff. You can shut down/turn on the whole turbine using redstone signals, to save fuel when you're not really using the power. You can even make it run much slower (consuming less fuel) by using a screwdriver on it.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I know from working on a wiki that information isn't always correct, and wikis should always have their information verified with testing before believing it.
What can I say. I'm glad the wiki was wrong, but I would still like to know what the placement rules are for the ECU.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@Reika:

"The ECU is placed below the engine it should control. It also acts as a pipe - for engines that require fuel, it can be piped into the bottom of the ECU which lets the fuel pass through to the engine." The hand book doesn't mention fuel pumping at all, nor does it mention placement of the ECU. So: how does it work? Is the ECU always below the engine or always at the side where the fuel comes in. And can you pump fuel in from any side?
The wiki is incorrect, and you are encouraged to fix it.
I am not the one writing or maintaining the wiki, and while I do occasionally check up on it, I cannot verify that anything you read is guaranteed to be correct. I can recall one article describing the Extractor as running off of RF.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Next you'll be telling me my stirling engines won't give it enough MJ to run all four stages

my dreams...*sigh*

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Are you sure? I always remember them being redstone engine at 1MJ/s, steam engine at 1MJ/t, and combustion engine at 1/2/6 MJ/t for lava/oil/fuel.
After checking in its
Stirling-1
Combustion-3/4/6
Hobby-4
Commercial-6
Industrial-8