What's new in modded minecraft today?

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
It seems this will be a grim year for minecraft modding, so many great authors quitting.

But he year has just started...

I, personally, think it's the perfect time for the entire community to come together with this impetus and do something about it. It's sad that some of the greatest current modders are leaving, but we all know that they can't do just the mods forever, right? It also gives more people a chance to come into the limelight themselves.

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Modders are always going to retire, it's a hobby. I remember making scripts for RPG Maker, retired when I got bored of it, and I still receive PMs on some forums to make more scripts or update the old ones. It's sad because someone is going to miss every modder that leaves. It's really sad that several of the more prominent members are retiring.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's just plain sad really. We all know that the modders will eventually get too busy and will have to let go of their mod, but it's absolutely frustrating when people like Cloudhunter quit because of people in the community. It really pisses me off to know that there are some people that would treat the modders like trash to the point where they would quit. Seriously, who the hell does that?

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not trying to excuse the community's shite behavior (seriously, when multiple people quit at the same time, something is *wrong*), but wasn't it partly due to his personal life? He also mentioned Curse, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not trying to excuse the community's shite behavior (seriously, when multiple people quit at the same time, something is *wrong*), but wasn't it partly due to his personal life? He also mentioned Curse, but that's a whole other can of worms.
Yeah, Cloudy has had some very serious personal issues going on lately and that does add to it, but the communities general vibe lately hasn't really helped anyone stay.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
The recent uproar was just the last "nail in the coffin" for most of those leaving.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
brand new day, brand new what's new in modded minecraft today.
to start the day of, there's an update to Engineer's Toolbox with some interesting new modules

Engineer's Toolbox said:
Version 1.1.7.0
+ Added Stirling Generator (Written by Sadris)
+ Added Spinning Wheel
+ Added Pump
+ Added Mini fluid portal
+ Deadly flashing blade and vacuum now require energy
* Fixed block updates happening before modules are initialized
* Fixed other minor bugs

next up, Mystcraft with a brand new writing desk.
for those who don't know, Mystcraft had a writing desk competition a little while ago, and the winning desk has finally been implented into Mystcraft

Mystcraft said:
Finally! The writing Desk model is in!
Does it work? I sure hope so! :p

The desk should work fine, and the upper section should even be properly craftable. The upper section doesn't DO anything, yet, aside from look nice, but it does that very well. ;)
Keep in mind you need to crouch-right click to actually place the upper section, otherwise you just get the desk gui.

Not all of the contents of the desk are dynamic rendered, yet, but it's a great start. :)

[API]"phase" modifier changed from a [0, 1) interval to [0, 360) (linear mapping)
[BugFix]Adds check to prevent crashing when requesting items from non-existent slots from desk
[BugFix]Attempts to avoid odd vanilla bug causing unloading unloaded chunks
[BugFix]Fixes fluid instability configs
[BugFix]Fixes issue with shift-clicking items out of lecterns/stands putting them in armor slots
[BugFix]Improves averaging of phase symbols
[Interface]Added "Color" suffix to color symbols.
[Interface]Added "Direction" suffix to angle modifiers (North, South, etc.)
[Interface]Added "Phase" suffix to solar angle symbols (Zenith, Nadir, etc.)
[Interface]Changed the "Biomes" notebook to "Modifiers, Biomes"
[Interface]Renamed terrain symbols to be more consistent
[Items]Adds second metadata form for desk item to place top section
[Items]Placing a writing desk now places the desk facing you (places the leftmost block at targeted location)
[Linking]Disarm will now strip "living" entities of equipment
[Note]Desks generated in villages after this point will be facing the lecterns
[Symbols]No longer creates symbols for fluids without itemblock forms
[Treasure]Increases number of pages generated per generated page to 1-16*rarity of page item (pages now generate in stacks; rarer pages have a lower maximum stack size when generating treasure)
[Visuals]Applies masking to fluid render for ink vial
[Visuals]Makes Rainbow more transparent
[Visuals]New writing desk model
[Visuals]Reduces size of book (to 80%)
[Visuals]Writing desk and bookstand will now render properly at edge of screen

next, an update to a helpful addon for NEI, named NEI Addons (what a surprise ;) )
this update introduces support for MPSA, for those interested

NEI Addons said:
v1.10.0 - Released 26/01/2014

Updated support for MPSA In-Place Assembler (thanks Eximius88!)
Switched build system to ForgeGradle in preparation for 1.7.x

now some of you may start thinking "huh? MPSA for 1.6? did andrew update MPSA?"
well, no, it wasn't andrew. the user by the name eximius88 has taken on the task of updating MPSA to 1.6 for us all.
for those wanting to download it, here's the link to the 1.6 MPSA topic http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...uits-addons-mpsa-requires-modular-powersuits/

lastly, you guys may know Vazkii, the mod developer of Thaumic Tinkerer and another dozen mods.
well, he has been working on a new mod. yes, you heard me, another new mod (just how much ideas can a person have)
here's some information on the new mod

Vazkii said:
For those who don't keep up with what I do (psst, you totally should), Botania is a mod I'm currently working on, the objective is to provide a tech/magic mod based around natural magic (so plants, wood and the like). This gif shows a rough idea of how the power system will look like.
I posted a while ago, on twitter, a brief overview of how the power system will work, I'm reposting it here, it's a bit messy!

The "generators" will be plants, they'll all do photosyntesis, as in, passive energy generation. There'll be no wires or pipes or anything of the like.
Around your generating plants you'll need a mana (the name of the energy) spreader, which is kinda like a cannon. It'll absorb mana from the flowers and shoot a mana bubble (a projectile) at wherever it's pointing.
The storage is a mana pool (you need to points your spreaders at them), which stores mana, basically. To fill it, have a mana bubble hit it.
Functional flowers have a small buffer of mana and will refill from nearby mana pools, but not from mana bubbles.
Functional blocks (not flowers) have a bit of a larger buffer and will not refill from mana pools, but from bubbles.
Lastly, you can put a spreader next to a pool and give it a redstone signal to shoot a bubble, regardless of there being a valid target or not. Otherwise it'll automatically shoot bubbles if the target isn't full on energy.
All this process happens naturally, and you see no numbers, just vague values: "Mana usage - high", "Mana buffer - small".

As I said, still work in progress, would anyone object to continuing posting development screenshotsh here?

Screenshot:
6yZVA.gif

Video:

thewindmillman

Jul 29, 2019
For better or worse, the old age of MC modding has come to a close. A new one approaches, all any of us can do is hope and work for the best of it.

While remembering the old days is nice, you should never have your back turned to the future.

Thank you sincerely to those who are leaving. Just remember: the malcontent minority is always the loudest. Never let them taint your memory of your time with the modding scene.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Lastly, you guys may know Vazkii, the mod developer of Thaumic Tinkerer and another dozen mods.
well, he has been working on a new mod. yes, you heard me, another new mod (just how much ideas can a person have)
here's some information on the new mod
If there is a way to convert between rf and mana I swear I will find vazkii and give him a high five

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
If there is a way to convert between rf and mana I swear I will find vazkii and give him a high five

that's actually what I've been missing from magic/tech mods, a way to use the power from one, for the other and vice versa

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
The Essentia Engine makes MJ, not RF. It is planned to make RF, EU, UE, and possibly Factorization energy
/me jumps up an down with joy
Hahahahaha nothing makes factorization energy. Neptune doesn't allow it. There is no power api. In my dreams alone can other powers systems be converted into fz energy.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
A new mod Advanced Thaumurgy (?) has a generator converting pontenia to RF

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Personally I think the cost of maintaining an engine like that wouldn't balance with its output. Now something that sucks energy out of nodes? THAT I would use.