What would a 1.6 post-BC power gen world look like ?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
MagiTek FTW, now I can have DartCraft in my pack and not feel it is out of place.

Though, I do wish both DartCraft and Tinker's Construct add their own version of energy powered upgrades for their tools instead of relying on IC2 electrical tool upgrade.
or be able to use mekanism circuits and batteries instead of IC2

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Though, I do wish both DartCraft and Tinker's Construct add their own version of energy powered upgrades for their tools instead of relying on IC2 electrical tool upgrade.

I'm hoping the new TE energy system allows for chargeable items and that those two will pick it up.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I've also been seriously thinking about excluding Buildcraft (it's main use nowadays is just the Quarry, gates are just meh, lots of other transport options available now),
I use gates a lot. Not for transport, but for detecting inventory and redstone energy cell "full" conditions. That (plus the quarry) is pretty much all I use BC for. I guess could drop down a computer and use OpenPeripherals, but gates are so much more accessible to the non-programmer. Is there anything else that can detect these conditions and generate redstone signals based on them?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I installed RotaryCraft last night on my 1.6.4 server and oh my - it's a huge, all-encompassing mod. It has approximately 6 different ways to produce power, has its own ore double/tripling system, several tiers of shaft/gear-based power transmission, and its own crude tanks and pipes. It also has its own auto-miner system, among many other things, like armor, tools, weapons, etc.,.

It converts to/from MJ and it looks like it converts to/from electrical "volts" - not sure what mod that's from/for. It also accepts BuildCraft liquids and has its own fermenter/still-type setup to produce "jet fuel", which is a high-end fuel a step above BC fuel.

Where it falls short, IMHO, is power transmission and tanks/liquids. The spinning torque * speed = watts shafts are a bit unwieldy, mostly by design. Think of a direct-drive gear mechanical system rather than "power bus" electric-type system used for EU, UE, MJ, and TF.

If you haven't tried or looked at RotaryCraft, I highly recommend downloading it or at least looking at the videos.

Reactions: AlanEsh

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
As for Forestry and bees and trees in particular, I'm not yet ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Neither bees nor trees directly produce or consume power and breeding them - for some - is fun in its own right. Yes, the centrifuge and squeezer need MJ power, but those are relatively low-power and a small set of Ender IO 1 MJ/t engines or a single RotaryCraft MJ engine, for instance, should be able to power them.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Don't forget about Binnies Mods (Extra Bees/Trees). Those extra Bees machines are the biggest user of MJ

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I use gates a lot. Not for transport, but for detecting inventory and redstone energy cell "full" conditions. That (plus the quarry) is pretty much all I use BC for. I guess could drop down a computer and use OpenPeripherals, but gates are so much more accessible to the non-programmer. Is there anything else that can detect these conditions and generate redstone signals based on them?

I highly recommend looking at Ender IO's Power Monitor. It has a "redstone on" *and* a "redstone off" condition that is configurable in a single GUI.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget about Binnies Mods (Extra Bees/Trees). Those extra Bees machines are the biggest user of MJ

Yup, and there's the crux. But, there are options.

I haven't tested how well the RotaryCraft MJ-producing "air compressor" engine scales up and max.

The RotaryCraft engines themselves are capable of multi-36HP scales of power. The gas turbine, for instance, produces the equivalent of 1,200 MJ/t in a single block ! It balances this by requiring high-end jet fuel and down-converting the massive torque and high speed of the output shaft doesn't look trivial, i.e. will likely require many, many blocks of gears and shafts to produce usable power into probably a bank of MJ-producing Air Compressors with Ender IO 2048 EU/t conduits on the other side.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I highly recommend looking at Ender IO's Power Monitor. It has a "redstone on" *and* a "redstone off" condition that is configurable in a single GUI.
So I should get EnderIO because it has a block that can monitor the status of an EnderIO power network? 1) I don't need it because I don't use EnderIO, 2) I don't need it because I have gates in my current world, 3) I won't need it in 1.6 because I'll be using Thermal Expansion (which is not MJ), 4) I won't need it because it does nothing with inventories, or the gate conditionals (e.g. serum quality) in Extra Bees machines.

<face="serious">OK, I might use EnderIO for MJ on 1.6, I guess I'll still want to run a quarry or four.</face>

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft sounds fun. But only 1.5 version of it is out and not 1.6?

I put 1.6 version on my 1.6.4 server last night. It was the 98th mod. Besides the usual block ID musical chairs game, it worked flawlessly and my 4-week-old world with tons of stuff built already accepted RotaryCraft with open arms ;-)

You'll need RotaryCraft and Reika's base library, Dragon Mod API:

Dragon
RotaryCraft

Here's Reika's Minecraft forums thread:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...kas-mods-tech-worldgen-civilization-and-more/

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
So I should get EnderIO because it has a block that can monitor the status of an EnderIO power network? 1) I don't need it because I don't use EnderIO, 2) I don't need it because I have gates in my current world, 3) I won't need it in 1.6 because I'll be using Thermal Expansion (which is not MJ), 4) I won't need it because it does nothing with inventories, or the gate conditionals (e.g. serum quality) in Extra Bees machines.

<face="serious">OK, I might use EnderIO for MJ on 1.6, I guess I'll still want to run a quarry or four.</face>

Ender IO is way more than that. It has 2048 EU/t MJ transmission that *seems* to be as efficient as TE Energy Conduits, i.e. they are treated as a single network/entity.

It also has arbitrarily scalable direct MJ storage that's as small as 250,000 MJ in a single block up to as many blocks as you want, and it again merges into a single entity for better client and server performance. I currently have 24 merge as a single unit in a 2x3x4 configuration for 6,000,000 MJ total storage and max in/out of 2,400 MJ/t, though I have it configured for 288 MJ/t in (2x 36HP) and 800 MJ/t out (for ExtraBees machines).

As for your quarry, the Dimensional Transceivers are practically TE Tesseract clones. They support energy *and* liquids, all in a single block, and are configured with named channel just like TE Tesseracts. Between them and Ender Chests and Ender Tanks, I'm not missing anything in my 1.6.4 world.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

Wow. Ender IO is still quite a good mod, it doesn't just act identically to TE. Why not play it, then see if you like it? It adds a lot of good stuff that doesn't deserve to be undermined like that.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Question: How useful is the auto-miner in rotary craft?

Because if it's a fairly good return on the effort reqiured to set-up, I can see this pack going ahead

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
From the mod spotlight I've seen by Bevol (whom I believe surf this forum as well), there's 2 kind of machines.

1.) The Boring (making holes, not making people bored :p) Machine, makes a tunnel. You get to choose the shape of the tunnel and as well as if it yields blocks or not. You would need another machine to grab the blocks since they are just deposited into the world.

2.) The Pile Driver. Vertically shaft maker, I don't see any blocks being harvested, though I do see some blocks at the bottom of the shaft. Unsure on how it would retrieve those blocks though.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
From the mod spotlight I've seen by Bevol (whom I believe surf this forum as well), there's 2 kind of machines.

1.) The Boring (making holes, not making people bored :p) Machine, makes a tunnel. You get to choose the shape of the tunnel and as well as if it yields blocks or not. You would need another machine to grab the blocks since they are just deposited into the world.

2.) The Pile Driver. Vertically shaft maker, I don't see any blocks being harvested, though I do see some blocks at the bottom of the shaft. Unsure on how it would retrieve those blocks though.

Interesting... with the boring machine, that popped an amusing situation of using golems from Thaumcraft to collect all the blocks for you. Imagine about 6 golems trying to keep up with this automated machine :p[DOUBLEPOST=1383954659][/DOUBLEPOST]But actually on topic, that doesn't sound too bad effort vs return (A little harder than quarries, but I think we can cope)

So, we can give this modpack design the go-ahead of awesome? (I am at least)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Oh don't get me wrong, RotaryCraft got an item collecting block that vacuums in blocks that drops in it's vicinity. The boring machine is of no issue but rather, the pile driver does have since the blocks stays at the bottom of the pit, and the pit goes deeper and deeper as long as the pile driver keeps on going.

I don't think your golems is going to work there. :/