What would a 1.6 post-BC power gen world look like ?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Given the recent liquid and solid fuel nerfs in BC and RC, what would a post-BC world look like for MJ or MJ-like power production ?

Ender IO - Replaces 1.6 kinetic power pipes with superior MJ power conduits

TE3 - Redstone Flux provides a nice power alternative to MJ, and the Itemducts are looking mighty nice

MFR - Planter/harvester, BioReactor and Biofuel Generator

RotaryCraft - Has it own torque * speed = watts power system, but seems to convert to/from MJ power just fine and has a *ton* of engines and machines in its own right. Plus, the model rendering is fantastic.

Mekanism - Again, very nice modeling and some nice power generators and machines

The above is just a sample of what these excellent mods offer and there are many other excellent mods out there to help produce, transport, and store MJ or MJ-like power.

What are your thoughts ?

Reactions: PierceSG

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing a modpack that's almost all magic for 1.6. All automation has been from Translocators, Golems, and Transfer Nodes. I'm kind of amazed how much my performance has improved now that I'm playing a modpack with all the "Buildustrialcraft" trimmed out. No Buildcraft. No IC2. No Forestry. No Railcraft. It's been a very refreshing experience. :)

Only MJ consumer I use is the Force Infuser, which is already covered by the Force Engine. :)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
This subject is the elephant in the room for modded Minecraft. Especially with the changes in 1.6, there is a low rumble of displeasure with the core IC2 & BC mods. If I'm so presumptuous, it seems that the more these mods tie in with function and design philosophy, the more tempestuous the response in the community seems. At least amongst the more vocal mod players, IC2 & BC are not as well received as they once were.

With that said, what would a mod pack look like without these mods? Instead of grumbling let's collectively spit ball a modpack that doesn't include these IC2 or BC. It's not that outrageous to suggest. One very vocal modpack maintainer ( mixer? DJ? We really need a cooler title for a person that compiles a modpack), is already prepared to ditch BC & Forestry. So what would you need or want without exploding machines and bees?

There'd be no quarries so what would be a semi-casual level auto-Miner? What sources of item transport would be useful? Farms and fluid storage would also be needed. I predict that this will be more than just a discussion. A real modpack will most likely arise from this discussion. If not multiple packs.
I typed all of that in my other thread, I wasn't just going to delete it :p

MFR & Thaumcraft would be great for auto farming.

Doesn't Extra Utilities have a tank? Are there any mods that have a tank with a GUI or rendering of fluid level?

Ender IO could handle fluid and enery transport

Extra Utilies is already my main item transport right now

Reactions: Zenthon_127

Larandar

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing a modpack that's almost all magic for 1.6. All automation has been from Translocators, Golems, and Transfer Nodes. I'm kind of amazed how much my performance has improved now that I'm playing a modpack with all the "Buildustrialcraft" trimmed out. No Buildcraft. No IC2. No Forestry. No Railcraft. It's been a very refreshing experience. :)

Only MJ consumer I use is the Force Infuser, which is already covered by the Force Engine. :)
Well I suppose you can remove everything from a mod pack with DartCraft because DC make everything other mods make but for less effort ^^

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's time to migrate from the mods that are looking more and more to be an environment of their own.[DOUBLEPOST=1383867561][/DOUBLEPOST]Redboss, check out Emasher's Engineer's Toolbox. It seems that the mod has a auto mining module named Husher. Not sure is it live or still in testing/development.

Reactions: RedBoss

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't Extra Utilities have a tank? Are there any mods that have a tank with a GUI or rendering of fluid level?

They have Drums which hold 256 buckets at a time, but no tanks. There was a mod that did modular tanks but I can't for the life of me remeber what it was called. I wish Xycraft would be finished but its looking very unlikely it will ever happen anytime even remotely soon, those tanks were awesome.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
OpenBlocks? With regards to modular tanks. But last I've heard, it has a world crashing bug with the tanks on servers.
And I do missed XyCraft. :(
I preferred their tanks over RC's.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Only thing I'm really missing in my modpack is any need for liquids and tanks. Now that I'm not constantly piping fuel into boilers or coolant into engines, I haven't really had any need for liquid piping. It's kind of a shame, since I looooove having exposed plumbing in my base. :p

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
For me, MJ and EU are dying and dead respectively. Magic and the new tech mods are now god.

EU is just gone. Anything I ever need from IC2 Mek can do better (factories, energy cubes, powergen options) and in a more intelligent manner (more expensive but less annoying recipes, an energy system that actually works), plus Mek can power it all. Oh wait, rubber? Yeah, MFR already got that. Multitools? Paxel says hi. UU? Meh, that got nerfed to uselessness anyway.

MJ is quickly descending that path. None of its native mechanics haven't been outdone in every possible way by TE, EnderIO or some other mod. Covert and Sengir have fallen to basically just nerfing the hell out of everything, while indirectly killing off MJ as the master power network it was in 1.5. OpenBlocks and Extra Utilities have taken out one of BC's last unique features, mass liquid storage. The only things left are quarries and bees, one of which tailors to a very, very specific type of playstyle and the other of which is just begging to be replaced.

Meanwhile, look at the new tech mods and magic mods. Ars Magica gives us some of the best offensive and defense options in any mod ever. Thaumcraft gives us massive amounts of utility with golems, for free. Thaumic Tinkerer took a sledgehammer to vanilla enchanting. Blood Magic turns every living thing you can find into a power source. Mekanism has come out of nowhere from being "some tech mod for UE" to powering all the things. EnderIO is quickly snowballing into the complete overlord of MJ. Hell, even Metallurgy is now a viable option.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Only thing I'm really missing in my modpack is any need for liquids and tanks. Now that I'm not constantly piping fuel into boilers or coolant into engines, I haven't really had any need for liquid piping. It's kind of a shame, since I looooove having exposed plumbing in my base. :p
If you're using TC4, then we'll soon be able to pipe around our essentia into pre-labled jars. ;)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Redboss, check out Emasher's Engineer's Toolbox. It seems that the mod has a auto mining module named Husher. Not sure is it live or still in testing/development.
I'm looking into it. I admit that the mod is difficult to wrap my head around but I'm pressuring people into doing a proper tutorial. KirinDave's recent vid shows a bit of functionality.

Currently Railcraft Quarried Stone is my favorite building material but I can live without it. My concern would be the quarry. That's one device that hasn't been fully replaced. Thaumcraft's Arcane Bore is a nice alternative, especially since it doesn't cause wisps in the new version. But a "techier" replacement/alternative is appropriate I feel. Does anyone know if QuarriesPlus can be used without BC installed? That at least would be my first alternative to my knowledge. MFFS frame machines are beyond casual level.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
... Does anyone know if QuarriesPlus can be used without BC installed? That at least would be my first alternative to my knowledge. MFFS frame machines are beyond casual level.

Had a quick look, and it doesn't seem to be, it specifically mentions that it's a buildcraft add-on (which to my knowledge means requires)

It's starting to seem like there's not a whole lot out there for casual mining, because the only major automated mining things I can think of currently are:
Thaumcraf Arcane bore
MFR Laser drill
BC quarry
Frame machines (Redpower, mffs, redstone in motion etc)
Computercraft Turtles

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
stevecarts mining is the best and fully replaces quarries
also if you put transition planes on a redstone in motion frame you get more everything than you can deal with
and atomic science's fusion reactor has a balanced cost, is easy to automate, and produces loads of steam (making a railcraft boiler obsolete)

Last edited:

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I rather like the Laser Drill. It's environmentally friendly and doesn't spam you with dirt and cobble. Once it can be powered by TE power, you won't even need BC or IC power for it. :)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think I've even made an IC2 device since June.

In a pack with no BC, or just the future of modded MC in general, I feel that RF power from TE is going to be a well used energy grid from a LOT of mods

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I think a few people would lament the loss of bees, and I would lament the loss of my favourite asthetic blocks from Railcraft, but other than that, I can do without a quarry, I can do without pipes, I can do without gates, I have barely touched IC2 since 1.2.5 and don't ever plan to..
I think the idea has merit (I would also remove computercraft because.. well.. it's computercraft.)
Well I suppose you can remove everything from a mod pack with DartCraft because DC make everything other mods make but for less effort ^^
Have you looked at 1.6 DC or are you commenting from a strictly 1.5 standpoint? the only thing, imo, that could currently be considered OP in DC is using the wrench to move Thaumcraft Nodes, other than that, there has been some major balance work.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'd have to agree with all the comments in this thread. I've also been seriously thinking about excluding Buildcraft (it's main use nowadays is just the Quarry, gates are just meh, lots of other transport options available now), Railcraft (Hardly anyone really touches the rails, it's just boilers), and Forestry (Multiblock monsters, bees, trees, oh my). IC2 is not included in my pack anyway, and it's not missed.

I think part of the "problem" is that they are old mods, we've all played them to death. The other part is changes to game mechanics in those mods that have been changed to their foundation and generally not seen as improvements.

Add translocators and ender chests to the mod pack. Magical Technology.

Reactions: glepet1962

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
MagiTek FTW, now I can have DartCraft in my pack and not feel it is out of place.

Though, I do wish both DartCraft and Tinker's Construct add their own version of energy powered upgrades for their tools instead of relying on IC2 electrical tool upgrade.