What would a 1.6 post-BC power gen world look like ?

Lost Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I much prefer the micro blocks to facades anyway. But it should be a consideration.

At the moment I'm building a personal pack with the themes in this thread in mind. I'm stuck without a decent power armour mod (not sure if MMMPS is working on 1.6.4 last version is 1.6.2. But I'm not a huge fan of how it tends to wreck Optifine and/or NEI chunk/spawn displays). Also lacking an advanced tools mod (eg replacement for Gravisuite). Tinkers Construct would me goto choice here but I'm getting display errors in NEI and in creative I crash (clientside).

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I much prefer the micro blocks to facades anyway. But it should be a consideration.

At the moment I'm building a personal pack with the themes in this thread in mind. I'm stuck without a decent power armour mod (not sure if MMMPS is working on 1.6.4 last version is 1.6.2. But I'm not a huge fan of how it tends to wreck Optifine and/or NEI chunk/spawn displays). Also lacking an advanced tools mod (eg replacement for Gravisuite). Tinkers Construct would me goto choice here but I'm getting display errors in NEI and in creative I crash (clientside).

MMMPS is working for 1.6.4. Download the stable version of TiC. For tools, there's not too much out of the way of IC2 addons. Maybe Mekanism?

Lost Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
TiC is an Optifine error, something to do with Connected Textures, but as nobody else adds the functionality of Optifine (that I know of) without the incompatibilities and I and many others need Optifine to get MC to be playable, it's a bugger.

I have Mekanism, though not done more than add it to the mix so far. I'll give powersuits another try, I like what it adds just (so far) not the way it adds them. Because eventually this pack will go onto a server with donator perks I really want to add some advanced tools to the essentials kits, which so far I have been unable to do with the various upgraded tools from TiC & DC, Gravisuite tools were great in this respect. Maybe I'll have a dig through UE addons.

Edit:
MMMPS Crashes server on boot tried with most of the more recent builds. :(
I'll have a play with it later maybe see if there is a newer MCPC+ verison than I have.

Last edited:

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
TiC is an Optifine error, something to do with Connected Textures, but as nobody else adds the functionality of Optifine (that I know of) without the incompatibilities and I and many others need Optifine to get MC to be playable, it's a bugger.

I have Mekanism, though not done more than add it to the mix so far. I'll give powersuits another try, I like what it adds just (so far) not the way it adds them. Because eventually this pack will go onto a server with donator perks I really want to add some advanced tools to the essentials kits, which so far I have been unable to do with the various upgraded tools from TiC & DC, Gravisuite tools were great in this respect. Maybe I'll have a dig through UE addons.

Edit:
MMMPS Crashes server on boot tried with most of the more recent builds. :(
I'll have a play with it later maybe see if there is a newer MCPC+ verison than I have.

If only MMMPS worked and MPSA had updated. Then you'd have most of your tools. Check in the configs of TiC to see if you can disable connected textures. There's an off-chance that might work.

Lost Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't try that but it's reported as not working in the TiC thread on MCF. Temporarily switching off Connected Textures in game works enough to play around, but then I couldn't make TiC work in the manner I wanted anyway. :(

Off to see if there is a more recent MCPC+ version. :)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Unless AE is supporting FMP now, without BC AE will be unable to use facades.
FMP is a tricky one. As I understand it, if a mod works with FMP, then it also requires it, but that is not the case with BuildCraft facades. Not everyone wants FMP, particularly if they use Immibis' Microblocks. I suspect that FMP would also be a hurdle for RedPower re-joining the modpack party.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
personally I like FMP more then facades. I just don't like how facades and pipe plugs work, and how they're made. you need to put together a table with lasers and power, just for some simple facades and pipe plugs... I like how FMP does it better, though I do not know if the tiered saws matter for block density or not (for example needing an iron saw to cut up iron blocks and above) but both BC and FMP offer an API for other mods to hook into, if a mod does not do that, there's no compatibility. it's different for immbis, immibis writes the compatibility himself for other mods, if I remember right. I may be wrong though (so many mods nowadays to remember things about)

as for redpower, if it'd ever come back, Eloraam or whoever Eloraam has given the mod to, will probably need to rewrite the whole mod. and if I were in charge of that. I'd rather work together with chickenbones on FMP then code my own microblocks again.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I just can't get used to that alternative spelling of "than". I read it a couple of times, thinking, "why would he code microblocks again after having worked with Chickenbones on FMP"?

I admit I was, am, and will always be bad with the then/than grammar :(

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
FMP is a tricky one. As I understand it, if a mod works with FMP, then it also requires it, but that is not the case with BuildCraft facades. Not everyone wants FMP, particularly if they use Immibis' Microblocks. I suspect that FMP would also be a hurdle for RedPower re-joining the modpack party.

I believe (don't quote me on this) but I think Chickenbones is intending to add the API into Forge when it's done. I don't Think that means that downloading Forge = getting microblock. Also I think that some mods work without it. Might try a test world with just Extra Utils.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I believe (don't quote me on this) but I think Chickenbones is intending to add the API into Forge when it's done. I don't Think that means that downloading Forge = getting microblock. Also I think that some mods work without it. Might try a test world with just Extra Utils.

I heard in a different thread that FMP won't be added to Forge because it's written in Scala instead of Java. o_O

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that it wouldn't be added to Forge because Forge is not meant to add any content, just offer an API for mods.
So it will stay a separate project.

Geo Terra

Jul 29, 2019
I heard in a different thread that FMP won't be added to Forge because it's written in Scala instead of Java. o_O
I heard that it wouldn't be added to Forge because Forge is not meant to add any content, just offer an API for mods.

Both of you are correct, FMP was mainly written in Scala and while granted that it is perfectly possible to write the whole thing in pure Java, the whole thing would be rather unwieldy at best. Besides, the way that the Forge people have it set up is that both languages are to work together quite nicely; in fact a quick search via the almighty Google turned this up: http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Scala Granted that the page is a bit out of date (1.5.2) but it still shows that it is completely possible to write a full Minecraft mod via the Scala language.

All in all, Forge and FMP will remain separate projects for the foreseeable future.

Also, on the topic of Extra Utilities and FMP, I think Extra Utils can survive without FMP being installed, but don't quote me on that as I know for a fact that maintaining a mod with two different render styles based on whether or not another mod is installed is a heck of a task to do.

What would be nice is that in the installer for Forge, it gives you the option to choose whether or not to auto-DL and install FMP once Forge is done.

Sorry for the wall-o'-text, but one of my college profs is trying to get us to expand on our thoughts and I got the hang of it, but am currently have a tough time switching it off for when I'm not in class. That and my mind is a really weird place; I swear that my thoughts "mutate" up there...

Reactions: casilleroatr

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Also, on the topic of Extra Utilities and FMP, I think Extra Utils can survive without FMP being installed, but don't quote me on that as I know for a fact that maintaining a mod with two different render styles based on whether or not another mod is installed is a heck of a task to do.

I've been playing 1.6.4 ExtraUtils without FMP and everything seems to work fine. :)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

I said that it doesn't mean you would get microblocks, I think the Multiparts themselves shall stay in their own mod.

I think I heard it was being ported into Java so that it could be added into Forge.

It's just gonna turn out all this time I've been completely off.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I really hope Forge will release a seperate mod for things like FMP, as there are times when you really wish Forge would really offer a world change/item addition and such.
but that'd be another mod to work on, so I don't know if they even have the manpower and time for that...

Geo Terra

Jul 29, 2019
I really hope Forge will release a seperate mod for things like FMP, as there are times when you really wish Forge would really offer a world change/item addition and such.
but that'd be another mod to work on, so I don't know if they even have the manpower and time for that...

What could happen is that much of the basework for mods like FMP could be integrated into Forge (render code and such) to make it easier for other mods to enable MultiPart functionality for their wires/pipes/etc without the need to add the libs to their workspace and all the end user has to do is download the mod to actually add the recipes for the blocks and the saws.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
well for me I'm actually quite fine with ditching IC (it has been bugged on my side so I really want to find alternatives) and probably check out UE and atomic science now as for BC hmm... I kinda like how AE uses the assembly table for its chips so I cant possibly ditch that and do manual crafting and forestry bees in general for me sounds appealing especially when trying to make resources if your left without any options... minechem for example is actually viable... well I'm not too sure yet, well mining wise BC quarry, Steve carts drilling, thaumcraft boring wand? its not really a "machine" machine, MFR laser each has their own flavor and perks so I guess its better leave it to the people who actually want to deviate to their own play styles

as for me the mods i kinda like to keep is TE, ars magica, tinker's construct, open blocks (painting... ELEVATORS), battlegear, bibliocraft (because you sometimes to make sure your builds are pretty with tables and chairs), MFR (rednet), stevecarts, railcraft (of course you can't possibly enjoy most of steve carts functionality without the added rails), extra utilities, applied energistics, BC (or until I can find a way to make chip set without having to waste more sticks and quartz). thaumcraft... its not that I hate it but... TC4 is still kinda on the steep curve for me the changes in gameplay doesnt fit my style but my friend's playstyle which I normally host our games, twilight forest, BoP, Natura, and possibly soon tinker's mechanisms I'm actually quite curious what it will do once its out

Mods I would probably interest in would be Atomic science and universal electricity, Mekanism becuase I just need to have trippled nether ores from tinker's construct via TE's induction smelter unless you can imbue your larger mining tools with silk touch...