What would a 1.6 post-BC power gen world look like ?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Geo Terra

Jul 29, 2019
After reading this thread from back to front, and wanting to ditch the old IC2 & BC crutches, I honestly think that I'll be giving Rotarycraft a shot. I've seen Bevo playing with it and it looks pretty decent. Although... The one thing I'll definitely miss from BC would have to be the Filler, I loved that thing for being able to quickly excavate a good sized area at the cost of losing the resources it demolishes (I've lost a good few diamonds with it). Would anyone know of a good alternative?

As for power gen with Rotarycraft, I'd have to play with it a bit to get a feel for it.

And thinking on the topic of quarries, I'm leaning towards a tunnel bore with AE and Redstone in Motion and for a top-down quarry, I'm liking Thaumcraft's Arcane Bore placed upside down. Just I'm not sure if it'll be able to reach bedrock from Y64.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
a fair balancing issue would be that you need to replace parts on those watermills because of the constant moving. though I don't know if this is already done or not...
it would be a pain to constantly replace the parts, but from what I see they give a ton of power, so some work should be fair...

Kind of like a certain steam-powered turbine everyone loves? :p

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You know, I was pondering back in 1.4.7 about the viability of removing Buildcraft entirely from my mod pack, however it seemed at the time as though there were several things found in BC which people found absolutely necessary... quarries and gates seemed to be the two biggest things.

Honestly, though... if MFR updates to 1.7 with TE3, I might well dump MJ entirely, assuming there can be some compatibility between RF and UE.

With TE, I have a lot of the 'core' functionalities... ore processing, utility, transportation of anything I want moved around, plenty of built in automation. With Mekanism, I get the Universal Cable and the Energy Cubes which, assuming there is compatibility between RF and UE, can be used to convert to power anything else. It also has several passive energy generation systems in its own right, and a different method of ore processing for those who want something a bit more complex but still able to be automated. With MFR, I have automation of growing things and, eventually, automation of ores. However, it is not -easy- to automate the ores, which I feel is a very good thing. I also feel that the power required to automate the Mining Laser is appropriately balanced. With AE, you solve your storage problems.

Toss in TiCo and Natura of course, because both of those make the world interesting again.

It's an exceedingly tight system, one which provides nearly everything the new player would want or need in a game. It would introduce several concepts to the new player, and would be resource-light so that you could continue playing it on 'legacy hardware'. In effect, if you could run vanilla MC, you could run ShneekeyCraft.

Forestry was fun... it really isn't anymore. Not to me, anyways. Sure, with ExtraBees, it is effectively 'all the renewable things', but... it's too steep a time investment for me. Bees are a boring grind, not entertaining in the least. Yes, they have enormous return on investment, but the down payment is sufficient that I do not wish to mortgage my free time to pay it. About the -only- thing I'd want Forestry for is the backpacks.

Railcraft was fun... and to some degree it still is, I suppose. Then again, I started out with model trains back in the day, so I happen to like all the rails. However, with the nerf-bat swung at boilers, they've gotten to the point where either you are cheesy in your fuel generation or it simply isn't worth the effort.

So with TE, MFR, AE, TiCo, and Natura as 'core' mods, I can build a pack which is still enjoyable, but won't require an excessive amount of resources.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I was pondering back in 1.4.7 about the viability of removing Buildcraft entirely from my mod pack, however it seemed at the time as though there were several things found in BC which people found absolutely necessary... quarries and gates seemed to be the two biggest things.

Honestly, though... if MFR updates to 1.7 with TE3, I might well dump MJ entirely, assuming there can be some compatibility between RF and UE.

With TE, I have a lot of the 'core' functionalities... ore processing, utility, transportation of anything I want moved around, plenty of built in automation. With Mekanism, I get the Universal Cable and the Energy Cubes which, assuming there is compatibility between RF and UE, can be used to convert to power anything else. It also has several passive energy generation systems in its own right, and a different method of ore processing for those who want something a bit more complex but still able to be automated. With MFR, I have automation of growing things and, eventually, automation of ores. However, it is not -easy- to automate the ores, which I feel is a very good thing. I also feel that the power required to automate the Mining Laser is appropriately balanced. With AE, you solve your storage problems.

Toss in TiCo and Natura of course, because both of those make the world interesting again.

It's an exceedingly tight system, one which provides nearly everything the new player would want or need in a game. It would introduce several concepts to the new player, and would be resource-light so that you could continue playing it on 'legacy hardware'. In effect, if you could run vanilla MC, you could run ShneekeyCraft.

Forestry was fun... it really isn't anymore. Not to me, anyways. Sure, with ExtraBees, it is effectively 'all the renewable things', but... it's too steep a time investment for me. Bees are a boring grind, not entertaining in the least. Yes, they have enormous return on investment, but the down payment is sufficient that I do not wish to mortgage my free time to pay it. About the -only- thing I'd want Forestry for is the backpacks.

Railcraft was fun... and to some degree it still is, I suppose. Then again, I started out with model trains back in the day, so I happen to like all the rails. However, with the nerf-bat swung at boilers, they've gotten to the point where either you are cheesy in your fuel generation or it simply isn't worth the effort.

So with TE, MFR, AE, TiCo, and Natura as 'core' mods, I can build a pack which is still enjoyable, but won't require an excessive amount of resources.
You could use Atomic Science for the replacement of boilers for massive power generation with the Fission and Fusion reactors.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Since for the replacement of boilers you could use Atomic Science for massive power generation from the Fission and Fusion reactors.
Unfortunately, Atomic Science can eat all the resources and lagbomb your game mercilessly, so probably not. However, since MFR Biofuel Generators produce 16 MJ/t, it isn't too hard to get enough MJ's going to keep the lasers running.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately, Atomic Science can eat all the resources and lagbomb your game mercilessly, so probably not. However, since MFR Biofuel Generators produce 16 MJ/t, it isn't too hard to get enough MJ's going to keep the lasers running.
Ah, I was not aware that it caused bad lag. I haven't played with it on a server yet, only single player while I was learning the mod.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ah, I was not aware that it caused bad lag. I haven't played with it on a server yet, only single player while I was learning the mod.
Yea, I listened to some feedback from Resonant Rise, and why they are removing it from their mod pack... convinced me that it probably should not be in a pack dedicated to being low-resource.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, I listened to some feedback from Resonant Rise, and why they are removing it from their mod pack... convinced me that it probably should not be in a pack dedicated to being low-resource.
Thats too bad, I was enjoying the mod and its mechanics. The reactors are a bit easier to handle then the IC2 ones.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Update : Reika *just* put out new versions with major bug-fixes a few hours ago.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...lization-and-more/page__st__940#entry25893858

Some of what I wrote below may no longer apply, i.e. may be fixed, in Reika' latest code. Will test tonight.

====

I played around with RotaryCraft this weekend and hit several problems, namely:

1) Client lag
Once I had ~20 or more moving (animated) RotaryCraft blocks, my frame rate would drop to an unacceptable level. This happened in multi-player and single-player and I tried a few different blocks/way of doing it, but got the same result.

I could not find a config option to disable the animation. Bummer. This makes building a large-scale power or processing system pretty much unfeasible for me.

2) Difficult to automate
I could not get the Fermenter, for instance, to accept saplings from vanilla hoppers or AE export buses from any direction. That's pretty much game-breaking for half the engines that all require ethanol crystals.

3) Liquid pipes
I could not export (pull) liquids from RotaryCraft liquid inventories using ExtraUtilities transfer pipes or using Translocators. I had to use RotaryCraft's pipes to transfer them to a RotaryCraft Reservoir (tank). I could then transfer them to a more conventional liquid system. That would have been OK if not for the infinite capacity of the RotaryCraft pipes. While it sounds cool, what ends up happening is the system *never* reaches full pressure. This means machines like the Fractionation Unit run continuously, chewing through valuable resources.

Maybe TE Liquiducts will work better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Overall, RotaryCraft looks great and I really enjoy the different mechanics and other ideas that Reika has implemented. I think the mod has great potential if a few issues like the above were fixed. But, in its current state, I can't recommend it for inclusion in mod-packs. Bummer.

I'll give Reika constructive feedback on the main MC forums.

Last edited:

JDGBOLT

Jul 29, 2019
After playing around with rotarycraft in the latest version, I've found that it's intended for automation to be possible, and the broken nature of the fermenter that you are noticing is due to both a bug as well as the way that he intends the automation. Basically, the machine will only accept the inputs it can use from a hopper or whatever else, and it will automatically stick them into the right slots. If you recall the way that the fermenter works is that there is a little automation icon on the top left, which will show what it's set to produce. In the case of producing yeast, it will work as intended, you can put sugar and dirt into it via a hopper or any other mechanic, and everything will work as intended. If you want to produce ethanol, however, you will need to give it a redstone signal, so that it can take yeast and saplings as an input. Unfortunately there is a bug in the current version that will not let it accept saplings and other plant matter, and if you try to do it via some other automation method, such as golems or whatever, the saplings themselves might get destroyed. I'll try to notify Reika that that is broken in the current version. I think there probably are still other bugs here and there, it's still a very work in progress mod, but then again, it does have quite a bit of content, just might not be entirely ready yet.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The newer version seems better. I haven't gotten to the Fermenter and the fuel pipes yet, but I did rip out my boilers and replace them with Hyrdokinetic Engines (water wheels) driving Air Compressors to convert from watts to MJ. 2 Hydros per Air Compressor yields almost 19 MJ/t. Hence, ~19MJ/t from 3 blocks.

You can stack these 3 blocks along the same waterfall (vertical columns of water) to get 100's of MJ of power from 1 or 2 water source blocks sufficiently high.

While expensive to setup in terms of RotaryCraft steel and requiring a lot of vertical space for the waterfall, the zero(0) running costs doesn't sit well with me for hundreds of MJ of power. I plan to replace them with microturbines fueled by jet fuel in the next few days if/when I can get the Fermenter --> Fractionation Unit --> Microturbine cycle automated and scaled well.

I also like the Gas Turbine fueled by Jet Fuel, but it takes a massive shaft/gear network to downconvert its output to something that won't blow up Air Compressors. The Microturbines require far fewer Shaft Junctions.

Unfortunately there is a bug in the current version that will not let it accept saplings and other plant matter, and if you try to do it via some other automation method, such as golems or whatever, the saplings themselves might get destroyed. I'll try to notify Reika that that is broken in the current version.

Yeah, this is the same bug I hit in the previous version. Redstone signal to switch the modes worked fine and it took in water and yeast just fine, but could not get it to accept saplings from SC2 carts, i.e. vanilla saplings. Perhaps only Forestry (i.e. genomed) saplings are supported ?

I think there probably are still other bugs here and there, it's still a very work in progress mod, but then again, it does have quite a bit of content, just might not be entirely ready yet.

Agree 1000%. Great mod with novel concepts, lots of potential, and while there are some bugs, they don't seem intractable.

Last edited:

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I just set up a sorting system using only Transfer Nodes. They're nice and lag-free, but they're really lacking in a "this is where leftover unsorted things go" option.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
I just set up a sorting system using only Transfer Nodes. They're nice and lag-free, but they're really lacking in a "this is where leftover unsorted things go" option.

If you want to see an example of how to set up using Transfer nodes and still having an "unsorted/overflow" destination, check out DW20's FC2 series. In specific, this episode:

Key concept to take is to try to sort everything along one path, and then at the end of the path have something that accepts anything. Only items that aren't sorted will arrive at the final destination.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
As I understand it, putting Redstone upgrades on those makes it the last node to send to if there are other non redstone nodes around