What is RF?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
RF is the new king of energy systems that will in the future be usurped by a younger plucky but less wise power system just like it's forefathers.

RF is just a rather well developed power framework, simple to generate, use and understand, it's apparently also not as harsh on systems as it's contemporaries.
These are why it's the new choice.

However RF is a little boring, it does it's job and frankly that's all it needs to do but figuring out how to generate sufficient amounts of RF is not a heady experience.
It's why I and others like it and why FTB is now endorsing it as the premier choice in energy systems.

It's the MAC OS of the FTB energy systems, simple not very nuanced and just works.

Reactions: Jadedcat

gwirk

Jul 29, 2019
Compared to BuildCraft energy:
-RF can be stored.
-No energy loss during transport in long cables.
-Machines don't consume excess energy when their input buffer is full.
-Generators don't explodes when they have anywhere to output their energy.
-However dynamos are slightly less efficient than generators.( ~80%)

So it makes RF way more easy to use an that is probably why it's popular nowadays.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
-RF can be stored.

So it makes RF way more easy to use an that is probably why it's popular nowadays.
MJ does not have ANY loss now

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
MJ does not have ANY loss now
Waaait...
First it has loss now it hasn't...
Which one is it?
You must be talking about the lines not having loss because BC still has a lot of idle time loss. Which I wouldn't mind if simple gates where accessible sooner, which is actually one of the new 1.7 updates redpipe capable gates are attained a bit sooner. Still more efficient to go RF and avoid BC though.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
RF is the new king of energy systems that will in the future be usurped by a younger plucky but less wise power system just like it's forefathers.

RF is just a rather well developed power framework, simple to generate, use and understand, it's apparently also not as harsh on systems as it's contemporaries.
These are why it's the new choice.

However RF is a little boring, it does it's job and frankly that's all it needs to do but figuring out how to generate sufficient amounts of RF is not a heady experience.
It's why I and others like it and why FTB is now endorsing it as the premier choice in energy systems.

It's the MAC OS of the FTB energy systems, simple not very nuanced and just works.

-RF can be stored.

These are both fair assessments - HOWEVER - it should be noted that RF is a freeform API. That is the entire point.

Can RF be lossy? Yes. Can machines burn it idly? Yes. Can RF producers explode if not tended to? Yes. Can dynamos be more efficient than generators? Yes. Can RF generation and consumption be *incredibly* complex? Yes.

It's entirely up to the mod makers. That's the beauty and purpose of RF. It can mean many different things and be many different things. There's only one constant: it's not going away. ;)

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
These are both fair assessments - HOWEVER - it should be noted that RF is a freeform API. That is the entire point.

Can RF be lossy? Yes. Can machines burn it idly? Yes. Can RF producers explode if not tended to? Yes. Can dynamos be more efficient than generators? Yes. Can RF generation and consumption be *incredibly* complex? Yes.

It's entirely up to the mod makers. That's the beauty and purpose of RF. It can mean many different things and be many different things. There's only one constant: it's not going away. ;)

This. So much this.

You can (for the most part) code the energy system in however you want it to act with the RF framework. The most beautiful part of it is putting two mods with "different" power systems both built in the framework will be cross compatible out of the box. They wouldn't even need to be tweeked as long as they adhere to base operation of Coal as the standard.

That is why I endorse RF, and why my vote went that way for FTB.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

Right now, the only thing what i see for this, is to generate steam outside from the dynamos.
And, i ment to say something different. Not technically what it is. EU ment to be the real life electricity, MJ is movement...

Waaait...
First it has loss now it hasn't...
Which one is it?
You must be talking about the lines not having loss because BC still has a lot of idle time loss. Which I wouldn't mind if simple gates where accessible sooner, which is actually one of the new 1.7 updates redpipe capable gates are attained a bit sooner. Still more efficient to go RF and avoid BC though.

I would go with buildcraft whitout power generation, but i can't. Waila shows thats a different "part" mod, but nothing can be removed.

3nd3r w1gg1n

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah ic2 has electrical voltages. buildcraft is pneumatic. Rotarycraft is rotational energy.

This may not be canon but in my head rf has less of a real world analogue.
Redstone has mystical energy that comes from the minecraft world. Energy cells are just volumes of liquid redstone to be used for mechanical advantage.

Just trying to get the discussion the way you wanted it to go :p

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
The nearest real-life analogue to RF would be piezoelectric energy, or creation of a charge from compressing a material. Redstone lights up when the player steps on or touches it, so the application of pressure provokes an energetic response, which I believe is what inspired KL when creating the energy system.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah ic2 has electrical voltages. buildcraft is pneumatic. Rotarycraft is rotational energy.

This may not be canon but in my head rf has less of a real world analogue.
Redstone has mystical energy that comes from the minecraft world. Energy cells are just volumes of liquid redstone to be used for mechanical advantage.

Just trying to get the discussion the way you wanted it to go :p

Isn't Rotarycraft just Kinetic, like BC?

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't Rotarycraft just Kinetic, like BC?

Technically, RotaryCraft does involve kinetic energy because the shafts are in motion. It's more accurate to say rotational energy because the entire mod centers on torque and angular velocity. I think it's most accurate, however, to say that RotaryCraft uses shaft power, which emphasizes its use of scientific units of torque, velocity, and power transmitted by shafts and gears. This differentiates it from something like buildcraft, which just uses abstracted 'kinetic energy'.

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
The nearest real-life analogue to RF would be piezoelectric energy, or creation of a charge from compressing a material. Redstone lights up when the player steps on or touches it, so the application of pressure provokes an energetic response, which I believe is what inspired KL when creating the energy system.

I like this explanation. Actually makes a lot of sense.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

Fairly logical when we take a look at the steam dynamo. Steam pressure to react with redstone.

Just one thing: what do you think where the tired steam goes? All that water just dissapeares.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019

You make it sound like the BuildCraft Power Api prevents a mod author from inventing creative ways to produce and consume BuildCraft power. There is nothing in the BuildCraft power design that limits how a mod produce or consume power. Make a "big reactor" mod. Use MJ to power an Airplane. Add a battery.

The perdition in machines is the only "forced" element and that was an attempt to add game play to transportation as well. The idea was to add a problem that the player could solve by being creative with the pipes, gates and wiring. It asks the player to think before placing the pipes.

Was it the best way of doing it? Maybe not. A little bit of idle loss in a few machines becomes more of a gimmick when you have 3-4 RailCraft boilers running at 20% capacity in your basement. But I still think it is better than boring RF.

Last edited:

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
You make it sound like the BuildCraft Power Api prevents a mod author from inventing creative ways to produce and consume BuildCraft power. There is nothing in the BuildCraft power design that limits how a mod produce or consume power. Make a "big reactor" mod. Use MJ to power an Airplane. Add a battery.

The perdition in machines is the only "forced" element and that was an attempt to add game play to transportation as well. The idea was to add a problem that the player could solve by being creative with the pipes, gates and wiring. It asks the player to think before placing the pipes.

Was it the best way of doing it? Maybe not. A little bit of idle loss in a few machines becomes more of a gimmick when you have 3-4 RailCraft boilers running at 20% capacity in your basement. But I still think it is better than boring RF.

For the boring part, whitch is more fun:
-put a qube mid-air and put more cubes to the sides of it, and put in item based components, to get direct energy.(ic2 reactor)
-build a scalable machine from its components as blocks, and get energy/optional steam.(big reactors, WIP mod, not explodes yet, thats the thing whats needs a fix)

Railcraft boilers are the worst in this chase, because they are just fine with te steam dynamos, whitch are equvivalent to steam engines.

Kinetic energy to power an airplane, store movement in batteries? Sounds wierd.
Buildcraft made sure, that you can't use its components alone( waila shows buildcraft transport, silicon, power etc...), so thats the author's failure.

Buildcraft has its won logic, And remember the thing said a lots of times: RF is not TE alone. It was the mod to develop it, but now its used by tons of mods.

For the loss, thats truly does not matter when you pump infinite lava from the nether.

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019

Perdition is forced on to the mod authors who wants to use BC's API.
Perdition can be introduced by mod authors using RF's API.
And BC'S power generation is boring too, so stop with the RF is boring argument.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
Kinetic energy is one of the energy forms that can be stored most easily. Just take a wheel of great mass and rotate it or make a pedndulum oscillate. Even the vibration itself (as MJ is more like vibration than pressure or motion) can be stored, eg. in a gong or a spring or even a long pieve of rope (see tin-can-telephone).
The only drawback would be friction, so the storage unit will loose energy over time, but that would match the BC philisophy of elusive power.

This odd MJ/RF discussions/fights always reminds me of Thomas Alva Edison and George Wesinghouse. Maybe someone will code an electrical chair running on MJ to demonstrate how dangerous it is :D.