What is RF?

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

I don't want to be rude or something, but don't spam random stuff into random threads.

Okay. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power

I'm a power engineer. I do this for a living. There's a reason I'm keeping it simple in Minecraft. If you're going to do volts and amps, but NOT do AC power, that's just a waste, as DC power is uninteresting. However, both AC and DC power are computationally horrible the way that Minecraft works.

Simple things work well within minecraft.
That's actually how I'm using them. I have a resonant energy cell beneath my energetic infuser, so it operates at full speed without draining my main base supply (which is feeding hardened conduits -- plenty as long as the central power bank has energy in it), and I've got a leadstone cell connected to several pink generators to make sure my laser drill has a constant trickle of energy going to it (instead of draining the pinks at maximum speed).

I'm getting close to get so mutch rf, that even redstone energy conduits are not enough.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want to be rude or something, but don't spam random stuff into random threads.

Simple things work well within minecraft.

I'm getting close to get so mutch rf, that even redstone energy conduits are not enough.
I thought that the R.conduits transfer limit on a per connection basis, so unless you have a particular producer or acceptor that requires a transfer of more than 10000 rf/t you will be fine. My understanding goes that the network as a whole doesn't mind how much energy is going through it at any number of connections, so long as the throughput at each connection does not exceed 10000 rf/t (so 10 connections = 100000 rf/t)

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that the R.conduits transfer limit on a per connection basis, so unless you have a particular producer or acceptor that requires a transfer of more than 10000 rf/t you will be fine. My understanding goes that the network as a whole doesn't mind how much energy is going through it at any number of connections, so long as the throughput at each connection does not exceed 10000 rf/t (so 10 connections = 100000 rf/t)

My experience is that its stores energy in the conduits..
So, i just need more machines in the network to use up the extra energy.Good that most of the rf using machines has redstone control.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Fluxducks. flux infused ducks. the new energy system in 1.7!

Well, there's a modjam idea, since I won't have time this time to make anything too complicated.

This odd MJ/RF discussions/fights always reminds me of Thomas Alva Edison and George Wesinghouse. Maybe someone will code an electrical chair running on MJ to demonstrate how dangerous it is :D.
Edit: Or that.

I'm a power engineer. I do this for a living. There's a reason I'm keeping it simple in Minecraft. If you're going to do volts and amps, but NOT do AC power, that's just a waste, as DC power is uninteresting. However, both AC and DC power are computationally horrible the way that Minecraft works.
Edit: Or do AC power! Complete with things like impedance, phase angle matching, synchronous generators, and field coil excitation current. Despite the fact that I'm a programmer and only know anything about that because of Wikipedia, and some random forum thread where someone was getting helped with their 300MW gas turbine with bad grammar.

Edit to be on-topic: The good thing about RF is that it's a lowest common denominator, so anything can work with it with minimal effort. The bad thing about RF is that it's a lowest common denominator, so it's simple, abstract and boring.

Last edited:

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
My experience is that its stores energy in the conduits..
So, i just need more machines in the network to use up the extra energy.Good that most of the rf using machines has redstone control.
A buffer of energy is indeed stored up in conduits, but I don't think that is related to the amount of energy that can be transferred. My understanding goes that if you have 20000 RF/t going into the network spread over at least 2 connections then you will be able to take 20000 RF/t out (spread over at least 2 connections) without decreasing the energy buffer inside the conduits. While you have energy going in and out you don't even really need to think about the buffer, or how much of a buffer there is. I believe that the reason the buffer was added was that power flow to acceptors wouldn't be disrupted while you were making small changes to your network. You can also use the %fill of the buffer to get an idea of the balance between power going in and out of the network, read from the multimeter.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but you don't need to add more machines just to trick the network into providing your existing machines with enough power. If none of your existing machines demand more than 10000 RF/t to operate, and non of your power generators are trying to add > 10000 RF/t through one connection, then assuming you have enough power generation you won't have a problem powering your machines.

I have just done a quick experiment to prove this.

2014-05-14_09.22.06.png

All of these resonant energy cells are inputting and outputting at the threshold limit of 10000 RF/t. All three cells at the bottom are being supplied with the full 10000 RF/t. So on the network to the left, 20000 RF/t is flowing through the network as a whole, but because no single connection is providing or requesting more than 10000, there are no problems. If the transfer rate of the network as a whole were capped at 10000 then you would expect to see the middle bottom and left bottom cell filling up at 5000 rf/t

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
A buffer of energy is indeed stored up in conduits, but I don't think that is related to the amount of energy that can be transferred. My understanding goes that if you have 20000 RF/t going into the network spread over at least 2 connections then you will be able to take 20000 RF/t out (spread over at least 2 connections) without decreasing the energy buffer inside the conduits. While you have energy going in and out you don't even really need to think about the buffer, or how much of a buffer there is. I believe that the reason the buffer was added was that power flow to acceptors wouldn't be disrupted while you were making small changes to your network. You can also use the %fill of the buffer to get an idea of the balance between power going in and out of the network, read from the multimeter.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but you don't need to add more machines just to trick the network into providing your existing machines with enough power. If none of your existing machines demand more than 10000 RF/t to operate, and non of your power generators are trying to add > 10000 RF/t through one connection, then assuming you have enough power generation you won't have a problem powering your machines.

I have just done a quick experiment to prove this.

View attachment 11134

All of these resonant energy cells are inputting and outputting at the threshold limit of 10000 RF/t. All three cells at the bottom are being supplied with the full 10000 RF/t. So on the network to the left, 20000 RF/t is flowing through the network as a whole, but because no single connection is providing or requesting more than 10000, there are no problems. If the transfer rate of the network as a whole were capped at 10000 then you would expect to see the middle bottom and left bottom cell filling up at 5000 rf/t

Got what you said, more machines to use up the extra energy, i tought i can't output it into the cables, but it seems i simply don't use enough.Right now the biggest thing connecting to the network is an ender quarry, with a chest full of stone.

Hmm, some mod will nerf that somehow xd.

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
Does that no-internal-threshold apply to the hardened and leadstone conduits, too (I know it applies to tesseracts both for fluids and RF, too)? E.g can I power eight pulverizer with eight steam dynamos via one leadstone energy conduit line?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Does that no-internal-threshold apply to the hardened and leadstone conduits, too (I know it applies to tesseracts both for fluids and RF, too)? E.g can I power eight pulverizer with eight steam dynamos via one leadstone energy conduit line?
Using the same methodology as with the bigger conduits, the "no-internal-threshold" rule applies in a similar way across all conduits.

I tested it a bit further with leadstone conduits to be sure.
My test involved 3 leadstone cells feeding into 6 pulverisers. It takes awhile to fill the pulverisers' buffers up but as soon as their buffers reach 38400 and they start taking in 40rf/t they reach a perfect equilibrium, all 6 of them.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
It's just that the lower tier conduits have a much lower input/output (80rf instead of 10.000)

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
So as long as I only use TE there is no need using other conduits than leadstone at all (well maybe except for the energetic infuser, but that fella can be buffered with a redstone energy cell). Nice.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
So as long as I only use TE there is no need using other conduits than leadstone at all (well maybe except for the energetic infuser, but that fella can be buffered with a redstone energy cell). Nice.

you should use higher tier conduits, because they are cheaper for larger amounts

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019

Okay. I looked into the torque thing, and unless I want to duplicate RotaryCraft, I might as well simplify. And if I'm doing Newtons/s, I might as well do RF/t. So mechanical power for Ultratech is settled: RF.

As you say, AC is more interesting than DC. As I understand AC power, it's resonant pressure waves of electrons, sort of like semi-compressible pools of liquid vibrating in place; the power is in the pressure waves, not in the flow of the medium. So you get pooling of electrons, interfering/destructive resonance, and similar issues. It also distributes proportionally by bandwidth, not by volume, so a superconductor cable (paired electrons via resonant coupling in the medium) would actually be less efficient when running AC than with DC due to the chance of disrupting electron pairs by collision or phase interference in a high-transfer but narrow-bandwidth medium.

That said, in Minecraft, you can make a functional clock using gold around a redstone core. This implies that redstone is a material which can resonate with any appropriate energy (like the energy of the solar day). Thus Redstone Flux, essentially a system for transferring generic resonant energy -- this is different from torque! So how would we transfer the power of lightning directly in Minecraft? I could either re-theme the electric stuff (altering how it works), or I can just go with a simplified model of real-world systems.

I could easily do RF in place of electric, but then there's no reason to have separate systems with convertors between them, and the machines become unthemely. I wanted to do electric arc furnaces and electric motors. If it's all RF, then everything reverts to its simplest visible form: mechanical energy, meaning you could potentially power everything with a hand crank and a spring. My batteries might as well be made of clockwork at that point (nevermind that in the steampunk/mechanical system you very well could).

This is what makes the question problematic: I want to have different types of energy that can interact but not be replaced by each other, and I want a high-tech theme. So how do you have RF behind the scenes, but give it different flavors to appeal to different themes?

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
The good thing about RF is that it's a lowest common denominator, so anything can work with it with minimal effort. The bad thing about RF is that it's a lowest common denominator, so it's simple, abstract and boring.

I wanted to write a long post about what I think about RF, but this sums it up perfectly.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
While having lots of different ways to get power you still think that rf is boring?

Yes, rf indeed needs more machinery.

Rf is simple, to make it possible to use on weaker computers.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
While having lots of different ways to get power you still think that rf is boring?

Yes, rf indeed needs more machinery.

Rf is simple, to make it possible to use on weaker computers.

I only know 3 ways to make RF: engines/dynamo/generators, steam boiler and reactor/turbine

I really like big reactor, it's and awesome mod where you can build many different ways, but the engines and boilers are always the same so as boring as it gets.

But what I meant is more the handling of power, you can store, transport and teleport energy that easy it is nice for comfortable handling but makes building something very trivial.