What is RF?

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
Generators can use various stuff to generate rf, not just coal.

Who forces you to use the new machines?

No shit, really other stuff than coal? :p

About what machines are you talking and why do you even bother to ask me questions, when you ignore my answers?

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

About what machines are you talking and why do you even bother to ask me questions, when you ignore my answers?

Generators:
-ender pearls
-pink stuff
-food
-potions
-lava
-redstone
-nether star
-tnt
-gunpowder
-the sun

Im not sure if its the complate list, but its covers the variety.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Generators:
-ender pearls
-pink stuff
-food
-potions
-lava
-redstone
-nether star
-tnt
-gunpowder
-the sun

Im not sure if its the complate list, but its covers the variety.
That was sarcasm...[DOUBLEPOST=1400166256][/DOUBLEPOST]

The generators he is speaking of are from Extra Utilities, there are a bunch of different generators added to generate RF ranging from Nether star (4 million RF per star!) to survivalist (more efficient coal generator) and even pink (anything pink, be it mob drops, wool, or planks from Forestry) at least I think that is what you mean, if not I sincerely apologize.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
That was sarcasm...

I have immunity to sarcasm/ that was'nt sarcasm. English is not my mother language, i don't oftem misunderstand things, but im not use now.

And that was exactly what i ment.

And i do not ignore that answer. I can admit that the power system needs more consumers.
Some kind of rf powered armor, and a recycler clone could be usefull.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I have immunity to sarcasm/ that was'nt sarcasm. English is not my mother language, i don't oftem misunderstand things, but im not use now.

And that was exactly what i ment.

And i do not ignore that answer. I can admit that the power system needs more consumers.
Some kind of rf powered armor, and a recycler clone could be usefull.
Usually when people say "no s***" and have a :p face it is a dead giveaway of sarcasm xD

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Usually when people say "no s***" and have a :p face it is a dead giveaway of sarcasm xD
Don't forget this symbol. Its normally a dead giveaway.
100113_sarcmark.jpg

Ngar

Jul 29, 2019
I had an error with enderIO
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: cofh.api.energy.IEnergyHandler.canConnectEnergy(Lnet/minecraftforge/common/util/ForgeDirection;)Z
at crazypants.enderio.power.PowerInterfaceRF.canConduitConnect(PowerInterfaceRF.java:21)
at crazypants.enderio.conduit.power.PowerConduit.canConnectToExternal(PowerConduit.java:442)
at crazypants.enderio.conduit.AbstractConduit.updateConnections(AbstractConduit.java:345)
at crazypants.enderio.conduit.AbstractConduit.updateEntity(AbstractConduit.java:329)
at crazypants.enderio.conduit.TileConduitBundle.func_145845_h(TileConduitBundle.java:199
and the answer from dev yesterday was :
"This is all down to there being no 'official' version of the RF API for 1.7 yet.
...."

Now I am wondering, why FTB decided, that RF should be the only energy solution for FTB be...
(sorry for fireing that discussion, but If I would make such a decision, I want a stable base)

Reactions: immibis

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
-snip-
"This is all down to there being no 'official' version of the RF API for 1.7 yet.
...."

Now I am wondering, why FTB decided, that RF should be the only energy solution for FTB be...
(sorry for fireing that discussion, but If I would make such a decision, I want a stable base)

Things are still being ported to 1.7. By the time the team starts making packs, everything should be stable.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
The rf api is the cohfcore.(i belive)
And rf will not be the only power. There will be more rf packs, because there are more mods using it.
Eu and mj will live in their own packs.

I don't know what i could say, ic2 api can do that in the "stable" 1.6 version.

Last edited:

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: cofh.api.energy.IEnergyHandler.canConnectEnergy(Lnet/minecraftforge/common/util/ForgeDirection;)Z
at crazypants.enderio.power.PowerInterfaceRF.canConduitConnect(PowerInterfaceRF.java:21)
at crazypants.enderio.conduit.power.PowerConduit.canConnectToExternal(PowerConduit.java:442)
at crazypants.enderio.conduit.AbstractConduit.updateConnections(AbstractConduit.java:345)
at crazypants.enderio.conduit.AbstractConduit.updateEntity(AbstractConduit.java:329)
at crazypants.enderio.conduit.TileConduitBundle.func_145845_h(TileConduitBundle.java:199
...."

Correct. There isn't an official version just yet. The RF api on github.com/CoFH is *probably* stable, but CoFHLib as a whole isn't released just yet. Fact is that a couple of people jumped the gun. RF itself is extremely simple, there was just a singular change that was made between 1.6 and 1.7, and devs using it probably should have checked. ;)

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
After looking at rf-mj conversion, i got a completly logical reason(not the fact that te used mj). Piston.

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Wasnt covert complaining about the automagicle rf to mj conversion? It would be cool if a machine required to enderium ingots to transform rf to mj, and you could configure how much rf to eat. This way people would still use BC pipes to power a bank of 30 fermenters.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Wasnt covert complaining about the automagicle rf to mj conversion? It would be cool if a machine required to enderium ingots to transform rf to mj, and you could configure how much rf to eat. This way people would still use BC pipes to power a bank of 30 fermenters.
Wouldn't it be cool to do something incredibly expensive instead of a simple dynamic convertor? I think most people assume MJ is pneumatic pressure because the actual substance transferring the energy was never explained or described. But what exactly is it? Why are conduits automagical when they convert an otherwise-undescribed redstone-based pressure waveform between units?

Or is MJ actually pneumatic in nature and needs a convertor?

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

Wouldn't it be cool to do something incredibly expensive instead of a simple dynamic convertor? I think most people assume MJ is pneumatic pressure because the actual substance transferring the energy was never explained or described. But what exactly is it? Why are conduits automagical when they convert an otherwise-undescribed redstone-based pressure waveform between units?

I mostly ment the logic. Pistons "create" motion.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
There was at one point some vague plans of making MJ power more distinctly pneumatic, but it never happened. Even BuildCraft has a few components you never would have powered with through pneumatic power and there were many other MJ mods (Thermal Expansion for example) that used it for all kind of things. RF and MJ are as identical as they can get.

A mod author that wants an interesting power should probably look to Hydralicraft, Pneumaticraft, or similar instead.

Reactions: Blorph

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
There was at one point some vague plans of making MJ power more distinctly pneumatic, but it never happened. Even BuildCraft has a few components you never would have powered with through pneumatic power and there were many other MJ mods (Thermal Expansion for example) that used it for all kind of things. RF and MJ are as identical as they can get.

A mod author that wants an interesting power should probably look to Hydraulicraft, Pneumaticraft, or similar instead.
I thought about hydraulic power for some machines, and I'll have a pressure-based power system for pneumatic pipes and item injectors (sort of like upgradable RedPower filters), but I'm not going to go full-on with it (and I'm still debating whether to make pneumatic pipes directional).

Honestly, about the only power system I can think of that hasn't been strongly popularized at this point (pretty sure Hydraulicraft and Pneumaticraft are gonna be big) would be some sort of negative energy or chemical-powered stuff (like gasoline-powered tools)... or biological/necromantic life (like Fleshcraft is doing).

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, i think rf is not identical to mj. Mj is unstable, don't usually comes in a steady stream. Rf is completly constant and steady.
Even originally mj using machines work better on rf. Its converts, but has completly different properties.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I could easily do RF in place of electric, but then there's no reason to have separate systems with convertors between them, and the machines become unthemely. I wanted to do electric arc furnaces and electric motors. If it's all RF, then everything reverts to its simplest visible form: mechanical energy, meaning you could potentially power everything with a hand crank and a spring. My batteries might as well be made of clockwork at that point (nevermind that in the steampunk/mechanical system you very well could).

This is what makes the question problematic: I want to have different types of energy that can interact but not be replaced by each other, and I want a high-tech theme. So how do you have RF behind the scenes, but give it different flavors to appeal to different themes?

I was wondering why such a simple question was getting so much traction...

As far as I can tell, what "boring" actually means is that there are no noisy moving parts to listen to & watch. Your average player only knows that there is a difference because you can't use that generator to power this machine, & they'll usually be upset about it because they don't want to have to build a completely different power infrastructure just to run that 1 machine that doesn't have an equivalent in their primary mod of choice.

In a real high tech society, you typically have standards for a unified power transmission grid that individual devices convert from internally. Your computer actually runs on a low volt DC current, but you don't need a separate line for it because it's power supply converts the standard household current (120 volts AC in the US) into what it needs.

The main difference between a simple electric motor & a simple electric generator is the direction the current is flowing.

All the complicated thoughts are not gaining any real coherence. Time to give up & go to bed.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering why such a simple question was getting so much traction...

As far as I can tell, what "boring" actually means is that there are no noisy moving parts to listen to & watch. Your average player only knows that there is a difference because you can't use that generator to power this machine, & they'll usually be upset about it because they don't want to have to build a completely different power infrastructure just to run that 1 machine that doesn't have an equivalent in their primary mod of choice.

In a real high tech society, you typically have standards for a unified power transmission grid that individual devices convert from internally. Your computer actually runs on a low volt DC current, but you don't need a separate line for it because it's power supply converts the standard household current (120 volts AC in the US) into what it needs.

The main difference between a simple electric motor & a simple electric generator is the direction the current is flowing.

All the complicated thoughts are not gaining any real coherence. Time to give up & go to bed.

Real currents are not the best to calculate.

Well,the sound is a thing, some people like them some not. I personally liked the noisy machines, but right now TE machines giving me extra dust, what i use to craft alloys. I may try/may not try , i'll see how mutch i can understand to alter TE a bit to have sounds.If i can understand i'll do, if i can't then i don't.

But thats a good point. We'll see what mods come out for 1.7.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Real currents are not the best to calculate.

Well,the sound is a thing, some people like them some not. I personally liked the noisy machines, but right now TE machines giving me extra dust, what i use to craft alloys. I may try/may not try , i'll see how mutch i can understand to alter TE a bit to have sounds.If i can understand i'll do, if i can't then i don't.

But thats a good point. We'll see what mods come out for 1.7.

As far as sounds, it's something I never did because I fall into the, "they're incredibly annoying" camp. With the current sound loop bugs in 1.7.2, I definitely wouldn't want them to have sounds. If Z and skyboy come up with a clever way to do it (and OPTIONAL), then I think they will. Who knows.