What is RF?

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I'll take user friendly over flashy any day of the week.

I think what I was trying to get at last night is that it makes little difference in gameplay whether you have several complex calculations running in the background or 1 simple one. What matters to gameplay is how the user can interact with the machine & how the machine behaves.

Reactions: Jadedcat

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
As far as sounds, it's something I never did because I fall into the, "they're incredibly annoying" camp. With the current sound loop bugs in 1.7.2, I definitely wouldn't want them to have sounds. If Z and skyboy come up with a clever way to do it (and OPTIONAL), then I think they will. Who knows.

Make it possible to toggle from config, like ic2 do.

Maybe you could try the /playsound command's methods. Possibly not the best, but may work, may fail.

The pulveriser does not needs looping sound. One sound/ operation is all its needs. Its just crushes the ore with the piston, and thats not a continous sound.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'll take user friendly over flashy any day of the week.

I think what I was trying to get at last night is that it makes little difference in gameplay whether you have several complex calculations running in the background or 1 simple one. What matters to gameplay is how the user can interact with the machine & how the machine behaves.

in my opinion thermal expansion is the best mod that does both, as I've never seen another mod that still looks very awesome while still being very user-friendly to run

Reactions: Jadedcat

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
I have immunity to sarcasm/ that was'nt sarcasm. English is not my mother language, i don't oftem misunderstand things, but im not use now.

And that was exactly what i ment.

And i do not ignore that answer. I can admit that the power system needs more consumers.
Some kind of rf powered armor, and a recycler clone could be usefull.

It was sarcastic, English isn't my first language either so miscommunication isn't that surprising. ;)

In retrospect my answer wasn't really helpful, but most people just whine at every criticism someone writes about TE/RF which gets a little frustrating sometimes. Just because I don't like 10% of the mod doesn't mean I can't love the other 90% of it, the black and white thinking of "if you don't like a little thing you are a hater" just isn't helpful.

What I would like to see is:

- a more interesting power distribution system with different RF values, where you can't just power the lowest voltage machine with a 10kRF line
- making energy storage a more complex operation, a single block storing 50M RF everywhere just isn't that fun for me
- transportation needs to be fixed, at the current state I don't even bother putting down 30 ducts if I just can grab 2 tesseracts. I would like it to go more of the route of AE where you have a connection point of 2 systems and not single parts of production scattered all over the place

Basically I am asking for such a powerful system to be a bit more complex which would make it more interesting imo. On the same hand I do understand that people like the current system if they are not interested in such things or they wouldn't be able to build the system.

I know that I am probably twice the age of many players and have different background as an engineer, but that is my opinion on the system and just because I would like a change in a small part of the mod doesn't mean I don't like the whole mod.

And with that lengthy post I basically have just rewritten this statement. ;)

The good thing about RF is that it's a lowest common denominator, so anything can work with it with minimal effort. The bad thing about RF is that it's a lowest common denominator, so it's simple, abstract and boring.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
-snit- quoted above

Gameplay: I can have a reactor in my base, and i can do my stuff at the same time with no problem.

People with strong computers may not understand what I'm saying, the rest will.

Any high tier machines/armor to use alongside rf? Mekanism/ mffs crashes a lot from right clicking objects, mps is ugly.

Last edited:

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
You can adjust the colors of all the little details of the MPS separately, & at least some of it you can make transparent. Mine is mostly purple & light green now, but since I only see it in the inventory GUI, it doesn't matter that much to me. The MPS will also draw power from (& charge if you install the addon generator modules) a TE energy cell in your inventory, no internal batteries needed.

If more mod devs choose to adopt the RF API instead of coding their own power system, we will see more machines & accessories using RF.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
Okey, but thats can't help the round modells, in a qubic world. Whitch just looks extremly strange.

Or at least use ue.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It was sarcastic, English isn't my first language either so miscommunication isn't that surprising. ;)

In retrospect my answer wasn't really helpful, but most people just whine at every criticism someone writes about TE/RF which gets a little frustrating sometimes. Just because I don't like 10% of the mod doesn't mean I can't love the other 90% of it, the black and white thinking of "if you don't like a little thing you are a hater" just isn't helpful.

What I would like to see is:

- a more interesting power distribution system with different RF values, where you can't just power the lowest voltage machine with a 10kRF line
- making energy storage a more complex operation, a single block storing 50M RF everywhere just isn't that fun for me
- transportation needs to be fixed, at the current state I don't even bother putting down 30 ducts if I just can grab 2 tesseracts. I would like it to go more of the route of AE where you have a connection point of 2 systems and not single parts of production scattered all over the place

Basically I am asking for such a powerful system to be a bit more complex which would make it more interesting imo. On the same hand I do understand that people like the current system if they are not interested in such things or they wouldn't be able to build the system.

I know that I am probably twice the age of many players and have different background as an engineer, but that is my opinion on the system and just because I would like a change in a small part of the mod doesn't mean I don't like the whole mod.

And with that lengthy post I basically have just rewritten this statement. ;)
I'm not a big fan of multiple voltages, the RF system is clean and elegant and CPU-efficient. I wouldn't find different voltages to be fun, I'd find them to be annoying, aggravating, and obnoxious. Case in point: IC2.

I like my RF Energy cells. I love the fact that they are sided and modular. You can create your own multiblock structure by setting up the siding on the RF energy cells to properly feed to and from one another to create massive storage cubes.

As far as your transportation issue... if you consider making a pair of tesseracts and setting up a dedicated channel to be less trouble than running 30 ducts, you're already well past the point where most people get. Just the Shiny Ingots alone to make tesseracts is fairly obnoxious to obtain. Using them en masse is decidedly 'end-game', at which point the name of the game is 'cool design' rather than ' resource management', and you run the ductwork because you like seeing the items fly all over the place as opposed to just blipping around. Besides, if I'm to the point where I can use Tesseracts, I can also use AE and not have to deal with it.

Considering I cut my teeth on baby-vomit-green monitors and did real drafting on a board with a straight edge, compass, and my slide rule... I rather doubt you are twice my age or have significantly more experience in the engineering fields than I do. This is just elitism and pure nonsense.

You just like things more complicated. There's nothing wrong with that. But not all us geezers feel that way. Some of us got tired of having to do that for a living, and like to play in an imaginary world where you don't HAVE to worry about that ground wire, or the idiot that used *shudder* aluminum wiring in residential (seriously, I'd like to go back to the '70's and throttle the idiot who came up with that idea), or wiring up a fuse box or breaker box. And it uses up a hell of a lot fewer computation cycles to not have to deal with it all. There's a point where verisimilitude can kiss my unprintable explicative.

If I may direct you, in all seriousness, to IndustrialCraft2 and the GregTech addon, it does exactly what you want. It sounds like you would really enjoy those mods, because they DO work with multiple voltages, which can be tricky to wire, they DO have a more complex item transportation system which doesn't include teleporting things (at least not without an enormous energy cost), and while their energy storage devices are single block, you have to be careful wiring them and using Transformers properly to avoid explosions, and can be tricky to install with only a single output face. It also requires a lot more infrastructure, more steps involved in construction, far more verisimilitude, and in general a lot more complexity than is found in Thermal Expansion. This is not a sarcastic or factitious suggestion, everyone has different play styles and preferred levels of complexity, and I think that IC2 and GT would be a good fit for yours. I may not personally enjoy it anymore, but it might be right up your alley.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
If I may direct you, in all seriousness, to IndustrialCraft2 and the GregTech addon, it does exactly what you want.
Nobody was denying that, although with explosions and power loss disabled IC2 effectively doesn't have voltages any more. But this will exclude most of the 1.7 FTB packs.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
My solution right now: download 3dsmax and try remodell it.

You realise how nit-picky that is?

If that means that i like when things melt together, whitout the feeling that thing belongs to something completly different, then you right.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
My solution right now: download 3dsmax and try remodell it.

If that means that i like when things melt together, whitout the feeling that thing belongs to something completly different, then you right.

Yes, but you have the option to disable it. To me it seems like you're problem is a lot smaller now, unless you are very social when you play multiplayer.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Gameplay: I can have a reactor in my base, and i can do my stuff at the same time with no problem.

People with strong computers may not understand what I'm saying, the rest will.

Any high tier machines/armor to use alongside rf? Mekanism/ mffs crashes a lot from right clicking objects, mps is ugly.
Actually, I was wondering what it would be like if the Redstone Arsenal included a set of armor as well as tools. Fluxed armor would be fun and interesting to play with, I think.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I was wondering what it would be like if the Redstone Arsenal included a set of armor as well as tools. Fluxed armor would be fun and interesting to play with, I think.
But what would it do? just take energy instead of damage when you get hit? or some sort of magical buff?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013