What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to have to say, boilers appear to be VERY popular. I might make a boiler system myself, using either the FTB posted earlier, or the fermenter setup in OP.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone crunch numbers and find out if the Thermal Expansion + Boiler setup can still work with more of a jump start, or is the nerf to lava buckets large enough to completely break the power loop? I'm not familiar enough with calculating Buildcraft power to know where to start.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't tried it yet but I plan on testing the perpetual energy machine you mention on a creative mode test world. I was motivated to do this more before I discovered how to pipe in oil from far away oil wells directly into my base as my above post illustrates. :D

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone crunch numbers and find out if the Thermal Expansion + Boiler setup can still work with more of a jump start, or is the nerf to lava buckets large enough to completely break the power loop? I'm not familiar enough with calculating Buildcraft power to know where to start.
It will now use very close to all of the boilers energy to keep warm, it might be possible to do a little trick with timers or computercraft to feed it in a more efficient way so that there will be some left over energy, but it will probably only be 10-15% of the boilers total production. So it can still be used to keep it running when you don't need the power, but it won't produce much power itself.
This makes netherrack a more viable fuel, you could have system that keeps itself warm normaly and then feed it netherrack to enable you to extract 80% of the power (about 112MJ on a max sized HP boiler). Or really feed it any other fuel you like when you want to output power.

Tbh, the magmatic crucible needs a little nerf too. Netherrack is just too good of a fuel source.
After the nerf the boiler will consume a lava bucket in 6,25 seconds when fully heated.
In that time the boiler produces 18 000 MJ, lava generated from cobblestone will cost 20 000 (but since you only need to keep the temperature, not raise it much then it works out after all.)
Throw in some netherrack and your lava is now costing 4000 instead, giving netherrack a fuel value of 14000-16000MJ depending on how you look at it.
Note that this brings it to the same efficiency as magmatic engines, which may often be the better choice.
But netherrack having a fuel value that is 10 times that of charcoal and peat as well as equal to a bucket of biomass is quite unbalanced.
Especialy when it literaly takes you less then 30 sec to get a stack in the nether with a drill, or just set up a quarry there and all your powerproblems are solved.
Not sure exactly how much a single nether quarry could support, but it's probably well into the thousands of MJ/t.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
It will now use very close to all of the boilers energy to keep warm, it might be possible to do a little trick with timers or computercraft to feed it in a more efficient way so that there will be some left over energy, but it will probably only be 10-15% of the boilers total production. So it can still be used to keep it running when you don't need the power, but it won't produce much power itself.
This makes netherrack a more viable fuel, you could have system that keeps itself warm normaly and then feed it netherrack to enable you to extract 80% of the power (about 112MJ on a max sized HP boiler). Or really feed it any other fuel you like when you want to output power.

Tbh, the magmatic crucible needs a little nerf too. Netherrack is just too good of a fuel source.
After the nerf the boiler will consume a lava bucket in 6,25 seconds when fully heated.
In that time the boiler produces 18 000 MJ, lava generated from cobblestone will cost 20 000 (but since you only need to keep the temperature, not raise it much then it works out after all.)
Throw in some netherrack and your lava is now costing 4000 instead, giving netherrack a fuel value of 14000-16000MJ depending on how you look at it.
Note that this brings it to the same efficiency as magmatic engines, which may often be the better choice.
But netherrack having a fuel value that is 10 times that of charcoal and peat as well as equal to a bucket of biomass is quite unbalanced.
Especialy when it literaly takes you less then 30 sec to get a stack in the nether with a drill, or just set up a quarry there and all your powerproblems are solved.
Not sure exactly how much a single nether quarry could support, but it's probably well into the thousands of MJ/t.
Yeah, I was already using magmatic engines for small needs. And early game you can even use liquid transposer and fill lava cells on mining trips.

But how do the material costs compare for MJ/t? One magma crucible can make lava from netherrack for 22,5 magmatic engines' needs and 5 of those are needed for the magma crucible's need. So you get 70MJ/t if you could have a half a magmatic engine or 140MJ/t with two of these packs, closer to the boiler's 128MJ/t (with 16000 fuel value). This costs you 495 tin, 59 iron, 139 redstone, 45 silver, 4, gold, 4 copper, 4 nether brick and 8 glass. Didn't count cobble or wood, shouldn't matter. Optionally you can replace 45 iron in pistons with bronze if you can afford with that requirement of tin. We can already see that this setup uses a whole ton more tin but way less iron. IC2 ore generation has less tin on the surface, might make you struggle for the tin.

The boiler has changed in cost as well, plates are more expensive. Iron needed is something like 360, again some can be replaced by bronze in pistons and most of that is actually steel. But I'll leave this crunching for now, maybe Meldiron can calculate the boiler materials.

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
Holy crap. I could never get this complex. I just started using any of these mods...it takes days to learn one mods power systems, let alone all of them and how they interact. The only reason I have power is for Quarries right now. I'll never build a "power room" simply because I have no idea how you all did all this. I stick to basic Combustion Engines...

FlukeSDS

Jul 29, 2019
Holy crap. I could never get this complex. I just started using any of these mods...it takes days to learn one mods power systems, let alone all of them and how they interact. The only reason I have power is for Quarries right now. I'll never build a "power room" simply because I have no idea how you all did all this. I stick to basic Combustion Engines...

For now... Soon all will be clear my friend, and you will be the mad scientist you've always wanted to be =).

Reactions: SilverStar

Effervo

Jul 29, 2019
This is what my power room looks above ground. One railcraft + mystcraft setup leading to the nether pumping lava. The other leading to my next oil geyser that I'm draining dry. Below ground we have 10 geothermal generators feeding an MFSU and a ultimate solar panel sitting on the MFSU.

Also a full size high pressure steam boiler with 18 industrial steam engines feeding the rest of my base.
8247919088_660d7b3b15_b.jpg
8246850985_22aed2326b_b.jpg

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
My Power room is also based around steam boilers but since i like to overdimension my equipment i use 2 3x3 high pressure liquid boilers (i also have a bunch of extra mods)
2012-12-06_100515.png

They get fuel from a 7x7x8 tank
2012-12-06_100525.png

it sits next to a 7x7x8 tank of oil with another identical one on top of it
the oil gets refined and then pumped into the tank and on to the steam boilers from the tank
2012-12-06_101153.png

and this powers my engine system
2012-12-06_100542.png

and no i dont need nearly this much power but its fun to make alot of it :D
each of the 6 energy frames outputs 48MJ/T since that is the max that one set of 6 engines produce

i get the oil from 6 oil springs which so i dont have to run and check on them all the time have nice individual pipes so i can see if any one of them have run dry (looks like i need to replace well number 4)
2012-12-06_100707.png

since this is running on my private server i like to have the option to ignore the game for a day or two and everything still having fuel without any supervision

Reactions: QueWhat

Bobbels

Jul 29, 2019
i think meldirons self fueling boiler was nerfed already.
i'm playing the magic pack here and when i hover over a bucket of lava it says it generates 20k heat BUT only 1k heat in railcraft. and that's where boilers come from.

EDIT: oh i just realized you guys were aware of it alreday...

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019

If you look here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/free-bc-energy-plant.3245/#post-35105 I raised this "concern" with king Lemming (TE mod author) and he rightly points out why he made it like this (to cut out needless chunk loading nether lava farming). If people don't want to be able to do this (or server owners) it can be changed in the config located in config/cofh

factory.crucible.netherrack.energy=4000

Bobbels

Jul 29, 2019
....(to cut out needless chunk loading nether lava farming)....
heh, so we are doing needless chunk loading netherrack quarrying now? :)
people will automate anything they can. just wanted to point out that little fun fact ^^

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
Its still less so. A default sized quarry from a high level in the Nether will yield you more netherrack than you can use quickly in a magma crucible, and wont take that long. A pump from a lava lake in the nether will have to be run constantly.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
If you look here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/free-bc-energy-plant.3245/#post-35105 I raised this "concern" with king Lemming (TE mod author) and he rightly points out why he made it like this (to cut out needless chunk loading nether lava farming). If people don't want to be able to do this (or server owners) it can be changed in the config located in config/cofh

factory.crucible.netherrack.energy=4000
I hadn't thought of it that way, he sure does make a good point.
Still believe lava in general need a nerf, it's balanced for vanilla since the only way to transport it is in nonstackable buckets.
Not to mention that you'd have to watch your furnance well since one bucket of lava melts more then one stack and you'd loose the extra melts if you didn't tend to it mid process.
But with mods you'r able to move lava in incredibly efficiently in large quantities.
Lets say we for example made lava worth 6400MJ (same as coal coke), and netherrack cost 3200MJ to melt.
This would make the gains of one netherrack would be equal to one coal, which to me sounds still very lucrative, but a bit more in balance with the rest of the fuels.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need to quarry netherrack, hell a diamond drill tears it a new one and I can fill a full inventory in about 10 mins, do this once a day to top up your supply, that's all you need to do.

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so where do I start? I am needing power in my base for various things. I want something with relatively low maintenance. I like combustion engines because I can pump water into them and fuel lasts a long while. But I figure that's not the best way, looking at these on here. So what's the best? I'm pretty well off in my current world. We've been working on it for a while. My base is a huge hole in the ground. Problem is, its in an area generated before FTB. The edge of pre-FTB, the closest anyway, is about a 5 minute walk. Where should I start? I just need to be pointed in the right direction and I can start working towards it.

2012-12-06_234229.png

Where I'm starting to dig out for potentially huge power room:
(first floor down)
2012-12-06_234206.png

Thanks fer the help.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Nuclear Reactors (either look up safe designs or experiment with it on a creative world) solar arrays, watermill "turbines" as some friends have called them, or Windmill towers (you'd probably need to look up how to do these too or else risk them breaking...) for IndustrialCraft 2 power. A boiler constantly fed plenty of water and fuel for Steam for Buildcraft power, and/or a Steam Turbine (expensive and has a part that wears out and needs to periodically be replaced that costs iron...) for IC2 power. Forestry farm loops can provide Peat and Biogas/fuel for either BC or IC2 power. Just use any of the many methods listed in this thread.

There are so many alternatives and a singleplayer world doesn't have the same worries on load a server does, so you can go ahead and use clustered generators like windmills and watermills. Each power method has pros and cons, and there are even two major power networks, not just one. There is no truly "best" method, especially as the most powerful Buildcraft power loop (which could also feed into IC2 power) is going to be nerfed in the next update. If you've been "looking at these on here", then you should have had a great deal of nudges in the right direction already.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so where do I start? I am needing power in my base for various things. I want something with relatively low maintenance. I like combustion engines because I can pump water into them and fuel lasts a long while. But I figure that's not the best way, looking at these on here. So what's the best? I'm pretty well off in my current world. We've been working on it for a while. My base is a huge hole in the ground. Problem is, its in an area generated before FTB. The edge of pre-FTB, the closest anyway, is about a 5 minute walk. Where should I start? I just need to be pointed in the right direction and I can start working towards it.

2012-12-06_234229.png

Where I'm starting to dig out for potentially huge power room:
(first floor down)
2012-12-06_234206.png

Thanks fer the help.

I reccomend this a quite a nice source of power, pretty much green. Have 2 forestry auto farms, powered by either this setup or I reccomend a stirling. Automate the logs to make charcoal for a few things. Then make a bunch of fertilizer, compost or something. Put this in a fermenter. Power this with more of the charcoal. Use an aqueous accumulator with 2 source blocks next to it to provide water for fermenting. Pump this into a still, again powered by a stirling. This will make the biomass into biofuel. Pump this into a high pressure boiler, which you can also supply with an aqueous accumulator for water. Have this steam power 18 industrial engines, get the advanced power systems mod, and store it up. For EU, use solar and/or Geothermal.