What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Just read this thread, Meldiron shows how it's done. The crucible can melt cobblestone into lava indefinitely, as long as you have a source of energy (i.e. a boiler) that creates more MJ per bucket of lava than it costs to cook a new bucketfull. And cobblestone is an infinite resource, whether you use TE's igneous extruder or any other cobblestone generator out there.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, have a load of those around my base, how do they give you infinite lava? Mine require power and something to turn into lava.
I think that the point is that:
1. The igneous extruder produces cobble for free (not OP, same concept as a cobblegen).
2. The magma crucible can create lava from this cobble.
3. The liquid transposer can put that lava into buckets.
4. The energy generated by the steam boiler, at full heat, from a single lava bucket, is greater than the energy required to create it.

I don't know how closely CJ looks at the thermal expansion stuff, but he did go to great pains to ensure that similar infine energy setups were not possible through IC mass fab > coal > coal coke > steam > turbine (there's a thread on the BC forums). I'd probably expect a RC update to disable lava buckets from working.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah
I think that the point is that:
4. The energy generated by the steam boiler, at full heat, from a single lava bucket, is greater than the energy required to create it.
Yes I'd figured that, but for me thats a steam engine thing, not TE giving infinite lava.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
It would work with any energy source that runs on lava and generates more than 20,000 MJ per bucket. Heck, it works with solar panels hooked up to electric engines, then you don't need to consume any lava at all. Is it suddenly Forestry's fault now? Or IC2's? I think not.

The point is that TE allows you to make a non-renewable resource (lava) out of an infinitely renewable one (cobblestone). That is a feature that some would consider unbalanced. You could argue that it is only a small step up from pumping dry the nether, but remember that that is not a vanilla mechanic either, but rather something you need specific mods for.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
It would work with any energy source that runs on lava and generates more than 20,000 MJ per bucket. Heck, it works with solar panels hooked up to electric engines, then you don't need to consume any lava at all. Is it suddenly Forestry's fault now? Or IC2's? I think not.
I didn't say it was anyones fault, but the free bit comes from the free energy of whatever makes the energy, which as far as I can see is not TE.

I could be wrong, but TE in of itself cannot generate infinite lava.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, it can't. Which is why it's a cross-mod exploit :p But TE remains the enabler, i.e. the basis on which it is built.

Honza8D

Jul 29, 2019

The point is that TE allows you to make a non-renewable resource (lava) ...
Actually lava is renewable even without TE, you just need UU-matter(wich can be gotten from renewable scrap and energy (charcoal, solar..) Or Forestry(cobble+phosphor(from bees)in squeezer)

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I think that the main point of contention here is that most mods assume lava to be either finite, or prohibitive to do on a large scale. Making it from EU > Mass fabricator is possible, but it's a bit of a pain (I've not run the number to work out whether such a solution is possible, EU for scrap, and the UU for lava vs. generation in steam), similarly with the forestry bees, there's a fairly high capital effort cost. With the TE crucible, it's a relatively low-level machine, and the boiler setup shown could be made before your first diamond (theoretically).

I'd say that, above other things, is my issue with the magma crucible, because TE doesn't exactly have teired tech (not properly), it's not something that's easy to remedy without everyone rethinking the balance of the mods.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah the boiler only requires you to have a blast furnace set up to build it. The materials are easy to come by if you have that. The heating up takes an eternity, though. But after that you are set for MJ's. If you don't have an use for the power yet you could make some Redstone Energy Cells, again from Thermal Expansion, to store the energy.

Btw, the boiler will produce a little less than 64 MJ/t net. It does make 144 MJ/t total but the crucibles take 20 each so 80 for that and the transposer will use a tiny bit occasionally. Meldiron had that wrong I guess. You need 18 industrial steam engines to harvest the steam. All this after you have heated it for hours on end so it can run on its own. Lava buckets burn up too fast at lower heat levels for the 4 crucibles to be enough.

After you made your first self sufficient boiler you can use that to help another boiler to heat up by using additional crucibles.

And don't forget to cool down the boiler with aqueous accumulators! 5 of them seem to be enough. Goes in line with the cobblestone generator by generating water out of thin air, you don't need to do anything but plop it on the ground. You can use other water providing method if you prefer but accumulators are the most compact one. Same with the extruder, it's only one single block that spits out cobble indefinitely.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Next stop is a no fuel boiler producing 100EU/T!
Just wanted to mention that if you keep 10 industrial steam engines on the boiler for its fuel supply and pipe 4+4 golden waterproof pipes to build two steam turbines right next to it (they can take the steam directly without pipes, wiki says to use pipes but it's not needed) you get that 100EU/t. The only problem with that is that the turbines use turbine rotors that wear out and need replacing every 41 hours or so. They also use quite a bit of steel to make, but only steel, nothing else. You get a bit less than 1.5mil EU per steel ingot when you replace the rotors. That process can be automated if you are fine with this.

Other option is having 3 magma crucibles feed 3 geothermal generators which will output 60EU/t without maintenance. The MJ to EU ratio is worse but it is probably cheaper and easier to do. Also won't require MV cables or MFE to store the power which you need with turbines. There's 4MJ/t extra this way. For the first boiler I will probably put one or two geothermals and keep rest of the MJ for BC machines. After I have more boilers I can specialize them.

One thing I've been wondering about is what kind of losses do redstone energy conduits have? Thermal Expansion wiki mentions that there are losses but they are not distance based so it's hard to tell. In any case they are extremely small, conductive pipes would waste a huge amount compared and would cause looping problems, too. IC2 cables seem to have similar issues with junctions. The conduits don't have this at all, I don't understand why the original mods don't have more optimized coding for such an important feature.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it has something to do with conduits acting as batteries and how well they hold their charge.

Check out this video at 10:45 onwards:

You can see a tiny bit of energy dissipating while everything is sitting idle, but it's really negligible. Like 1 MJ every 10 seconds or so.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
You can see a tiny bit of energy dissipating while everything is sitting idle, but it's really negligible. Like 1 MJ every 10 seconds or so.
That energy dissipationg is caused by the pump not the thermal expansion things. A thermal expansion setup will never loose any energy by itself.
The problem here is that the pump use a tiny bit of energy even when not pumping.
Or possibly liquid loss in the pump/pipes.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
*twiddles thumbs waiting for video tutorial*
:D pleeeeeease or come on my server and show me step by step :D

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I have the possibility of doing a video maybe. Dunno what's the best way to get it heated initially, though. Use another transposer fed with lava cells maybe so you don't even lose the cells? You have to fill the cells beforehand. In any case it takes a huge amount of some fuel to heat up. I can probably test that how much it is. Unless Meldiron wants to make it?

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Have only had access to my my laptop during the weekend and it doesn't like minecraft all that much.
Doing some research on the centrifuge and rock crusher settups right now, but having troubles getting it all neat. It badly needs some RP2 awesomeness.
I've estimated the rock crusher to probably have a 0,1% chance to produce a diamond and 0,5% to produce a gold nugget.
Meaning you'll get about 1 diamond and half a gold ingot every 90 min.
The centrifuge is quite OP in comparison, you'll be able to (almost) run 3 centrifuges if you'r using cobble to generate lava.
That will yield 16 gold, 32 tin, 42 iron, 82 sulphur and 4 wolfram cells (note that wolfram is used in the fusion process for iridium).
If you feed it netherrack you get four times those numbers.

So i'll just drop the centrifuge and rock crusher parts and make a little guide for for the boiler settup and self heater.
Will keep it to just pictures for now, but if you Zelfana or anyone else wants to make a video of it then that's great.
As for the fuel needed to heat up, it's 11,5 million HU without self feeding or 6,4 million HU with full cobble based self feeding (equal to 9 or 5 stacks with lava cells).
It should also be possible to heat it up entirely on it's own energy and nether rack once you get it up to 100 degrees.
Or to heat it up solely on lava if you have a good source, but then you'll have to put a propper engine on the wooden pipe pulling the buckets out :p

Anyway, brb, putting together a quick guide.

K4b6

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not at my home computer right know, but I have 2 power rooms right now One is a 3 system nuclear reactor.
and the second is a 40 engine combustion powerplant
it is a small 5 engine system hooked up 8 times. the power it(the 5 system power engine) can produce can keep a steady rate of 2 laser systems pretty well(or a quarry) and each system(an 10 engine power system) has a switch to power it,giving the main frame four switches for the engine control and 2 switches for water and lava valves, the lava is taken form the nether when I visit and I have a max of 500 cells in a chest at all times, the system is built with a water and lava pipe system to give fuel to the outer engines but the inside engine that gives the power has to have cells put in it every so often after 64 cells are depleted

I will post pictures when I get home

K4b6

ps: sorry for any grammar errors wit punctuation or spelling I will try to weave them out in an edit