What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm designing a BioMass/BioFuel system. I currently have a Seed Oil (Melon Farm/Self Powering) system setup legitimately on a friends server, but it is down at the moment. (So no picture yet.)
I'm having trouble with designing an automated moistener and fermenter but hope that RedPower will be my savior in that regard.

My attempt at this system:

Sara Dr In te House

Jul 29, 2019

Sara Dr In te House

Jul 29, 2019
My attempt at this system:

I like your setup. I found that using a Steve's Carts logger tool for a tree farm is actually faster and produces a larger surplus of saplings and wood than the forestry tree farms.

Positive - it requires no humus.
Negative - Build time for creating the cart and 1 of each vanilla sapling (I have the hardest time with XL biomes and jungle generation).

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Well I needed to make a blast furnace for my mining drill and chainsaw. Then its just sat there doing nothing- so I fired it up and built a turbine hall.

2012-12-15_082101_zpsd0b2d1f2.png

2x LP liquid boiler, 1 solid HP boiler, and 9 turbines. This gives the worst EU:resources ratio ever, but it looks awesome so its all good...

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully with the new liquiducts carrying steam over that distance will be viable! Has someone tested them with a Steam turbine yet?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
How do you guys keep your industrial steam engines from exploding? I manually switch mine on and off since i don't use that much power, but am trying to figure out an automatic system.
You can stop any and every engine from exploding by using redstone energy conduits, they just dump the excess energy, so there's no buildup. I've been running 4 combustion engines into a single (full) redstone cell for half an hour :).

In case your boiler system had explosions, then your problem might be water, actually.

Well I needed to make a blast furnace for my mining drill and chainsaw. Then its just sat there doing nothing- so I fired it up and built a turbine hall.
2x LP liquid boiler, 1 solid HP boiler, and 9 turbines. This gives the worst EU:resources ratio ever, but it looks awesome so its all good...
You can stick your turbines right onto your boilers afaik, no pipes needed :).

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You can stick your turbines right onto your boilers afaik, no pipes needed :).
Yep, that's what I did. It might look a bit ugly and you have to put them on different sides but it saves you the pipes. There's really no need to pipe steam or water.

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
Recreated my melon power, and with creative mode. (Got to play with it and make it compact. Not sure how many engines before it cannot support itself though, 10 works great at the moment)

I'm quite happy with this design and may tweak it only a bit when my friends server comes back up. (Still working on components of my wheat farm to biomass facility, may use this melon setup for initial power of the farms and biomass production)

CunIc.jpg

Dvidan

Jul 29, 2019
Recreated my melon power, and with creative mode. (Got to play with it and make it compact. Not sure how many engines before it cannot support itself though, 10 works great at the moment)

I'm quite happy with this design and may tweak it only a bit when my friends server comes back up. (Still working on components of my wheat farm to biomass facility, may use this melon setup for initial power of the farms and biomass production)

Is that powered by one or more melon farms?

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
Just a single farm. 8 rows, 21 blocks long of harvest-able melon. Never did understand the need for a melon farmer block, these things grow on their own...
Vj5IQ.jpg

Edit: Picture Added

you dont have to fetch the waterbuckets? =)

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
Always wanting to tinker, plus I added some numbers.
Small Changes

Edit:
Does anyone know a good gate setup to stop harvesting? Right now I just get a lot of flickering because I'm sending the signal when the tank is full...

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Did you now that you can stack melon/pumpkin fields up to 7 layers for one harvester (with one dirt layer between each two). However lighting is important there, so checkerboard pattern doesn't really work, because plants die at light level 0. However I don't know why I build so big pumpkin field, because on current hard forestry settings 1 bucket of seed oil in biogas engine is sufficient to squeeze about 0.3 buckets. On the other hand one impregnated casing needs 25 pumpkins which equals to 10.5 stacks of pumpkins per alveary.

Reactions: thatsIch

Jharakn

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know a good gate setup to stop harvesting? Right now I just get a lot of flickering because I'm sending the signal when the tank is full...

You could set up a small buffer tank in front of your main tank with 2 gates on it, one that triggers when full and one that triggers when empty, tie them both into either side of an rs-nor latch, you'll have to use vanilla redstone but an rs-nor latch is a fairly simple structure.

When the buffer tank is empty this will flip the latch to one side, tie this into your production system so it starts, this will run through until it fills the buffer tank completely which will then flip the latch to the other side deactivating your production, which will then wait until the buffer tank is totally empty before starting up again.

That should give you a decent run rate on your systems.