What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah... Wait...
Which one had the symbols to move around and which one had item consumption?
TC3 had the item consumption that slowly moved the squared out in a circle until they got locked in.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Honestly I prefer the research in TC4.1, I still remeber trying to get that one specific golem... And it gave me everything but that golem first (in TC3) I hated the randomness to what research you got, made getting a specific research a pain in the backside sometimes.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
it's the same as Thaumcraft for me, doing it legit once is fun, doing it legit more than once... no thank you.

TC4's research isn't that bad to me compared to TC3 in that regard.

First time doing TC3: "What cool new thing will I discover next?"
Second time doing TC3: "At least I know what aspects I need."
Third time and up doing TC3: "IndustrialCraft is looking lovely this time of year!"

Reactions: Type1Ninja

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
TC3's research system was a pain.

All I wanted was a specific golem core, did it really have to randomise to the point where I ended up with the theory of every-bloody-thing before I got there?

At least now I can direct my research into areas that i'm currently looking to build.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone still remember the research system in TC4 before 4.1? Where you had to connect these nodes to each other via active runes?

Reactions: SpitefulFox

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Ye I rember it - prefer the 4.1 over 4, but still prefer 4 over 3. The main thing is being able to choose researches though. It didn't really feel like it attached into the Aspects very well.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You could manipulate the randomness somewhat by using an aspect that wasn't used in research you didn't want next. Of course, that only really worked if you already did the research before or looked it all up.

Reactions: rhn

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
My main issue with TC4.1's system is that it's two-fold repetition. You have to scan items in the world and do the minigame to get to the end, neither of which are spectacularly engaging beyond the first few tries. Plus the "easy" mode isn't really balanced to the aspects available (which made it really difficult in something like Agrarian Skies). I'd quite like to see the option to "burn" research points to avoid the mini-game, or use them wisely when needed.

To be honest, I'm somewhat surprised that none of the packs have offered a "quick route" through HQM (offering the discoveries as rewards for certain aspects of the quests). It's been something I've been tempted to try making, but not gotten around to it.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Granted, the randomness of TC3 was a bit of an issue(unless you were like me and liked the minigame and just ploughed through and did it all).
Would be awesome if we could have the selectiveness of the TC 4.1 and the TC3 minigame. I loved how it tied into the rest of the game, by using up actual items and forcing you to farm/collect certain items etc. to research on.
The new minigame is IMO just... Get aspects that needs connecting(which really have no connection to anything in the game), consult a chart(or remember chains), connect them. Go scan more nodes for research points. Repeat.

Reactions: Zelfana

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So what I discovered: The new fishing system in 1710 is just plain yuck. The rate of a "catch" has not gone up, but most of the "catch" is now junk.

Or does that go into the derp thread?

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Or the mod ideas thread so someone can fix it.
SquidAPI/SquidUtils actually has a way to disable that, so you just get fish. Somebody wanted to make a fish-based energy storage system and needed a way to not get junk that wouldn't burn in a Culinary Generator. Lemme go find that...

Aha, here. I think the script in that post should disable all fishing products save regular fish... unless CoolSquid changed how his mod works since then any you'll have to look through some fifteen thousand configs.