What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
You are known for fantastic logic, great conversation skills, amazing programming knowledge, great humour.
And you are a kind and talented chap. ^-^
Be optimistic, i'd like to get to be like you in the future.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You are known for fantastic logic, great conversation skills, amazing programming knowledge, great humour.
And you are a kind and talented chap. ^-^
Be optimistic, i'd like to get to be like you in the future.
aw shucks *tears of gratitude*

I shall sink a spanish galleon with ninja stars in your honour sir.

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
aw sucks *tears of gratitude*

I shall sink a spanish galleon with ninja stars in your honour sir.

images

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
in the Twilight Forest there's those huge blocks at the giant's hill right?
I found out if you use a mining turtle to mine the giant blocks, the turtle actually mines out the entire area of a giant block, and it mines them as if they were normal blocks.

a giant block has a size of 12x12x12 which is meant to be just 1 block, but the turtle sees it as a 12x12x12 area filled with giant blocks, and mines them as if they were normal blocks.
and when you place down one of those giant blocks mined by the turtle, it's a normal giant block. this means you can infinitely mine these giant blocks using a turtle.

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
in the Twilight Forest there's those huge blocks at the giant's hill right?
I found out if you use a mining turtle to mine the giant blocks, the turtle actually mines out the entire area of a giant block, and it mines them as if they were normal blocks.

a giant block has a size of 12x12x12 which is meant to be just 1 block, but the turtle sees it as a 12x12x12 area filled with giant blocks, and mines them as if they were normal blocks.
and when you place down one of those giant blocks mined by the turtle, it's a normal giant block. this means you can infinitely mine these giant blocks using a turtle.

....Wow. So let me get this straight: I can infinitely mine the block, and each time I place it, it's the full-sized giant block that gets placed? That could have.... Interesting uses.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
....Wow. So let me get this straight: I can infinitely mine the block, and each time I place it, it's the full-sized giant block that gets placed? That could have.... Interesting uses.

yup, pretty much

Can they be used for anything, other than giant decoration? I haven't got that far in my TF progression yet, I've only ever seen the giant from a distance.

well, they're pretty huge, so they can be used to fill in areas pretty quickly, for example if you quarry a hole you could use the big cobblestone to quickly fill it back up, and if you need to clear it again you can use the shears from Extra Utilities to quickly pick them back up.

do note though that the shears from Extra Utilties take durability damage, but if you're at a point where you've a stable sigil it's pretty easy to create more shears. I also use the shears to quickly clear the giant blocks in the twilight forest to quickly grab the loot from the chests.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder what a buildcraft filler would do if you used them in it. But that's just me... Trying to make things break in potentially hilarious ways is my first instinct when I see this kind of thing. :p

no idea, I haven't used the filler in ages

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I thought the giant blocks were 4x4x4, and they mine normally with a giant pick-axe.

They take 64 times as long with a normal pick-axe, if I understood their behavior properly.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I thought the giant blocks were 4x4x4, and they mine normally with a giant pick-axe.

They take 64 times as long with a normal pick-axe, if I understood their behavior properly.

might have messed something up... I believe the obsidian is 12x12x12 and the stone, wood and leaves are 4x4x4

Reactions: xTordX

Rhodan

Jul 29, 2019
You can use teleposers from Blood Magic to teleport to your (mobile) frame quarry and back, using only one teleposition focus.

Put the teleposition focus in the teleposer on your frame quarry, then trigger it with a wireless redstone signal while standing on top of the teleposer at your base. Since teleposers exchange blocks and entities on top of them, and the focus contained in the mobile teleposer still points to the one in your base, you can teleport to your frame quarry no matter how far it goes.

I'm not sure if there are any other mobile teleporter options in Infinity or Direwolf20 other than ender rails and teleposers. Perhaps RFTools?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
You can use teleposers from Blood Magic to teleport to your (mobile) frame quarry and back, using only one teleposition focus.

Put the teleposition focus in the teleposer on your frame quarry, then trigger it with a wireless redstone signal while standing on top of the teleposer at your base. Since teleposers exchange blocks and entities on top of them, and the focus contained in the mobile teleposer still points to the one in your base, you can teleport to your frame quarry no matter how far it goes.

I'm not sure if there are any other mobile teleporter options in Infinity or Direwolf20 other than ender rails and teleposers. Perhaps RFTools?
RFTools might actually be able to pull it off. I know that dialing devices can see all receivers in all dimensions, so you could get from your mobile quarry to your stationary base with no trouble, but I'm not sure if the receivers properly update the dialers when moved by frames. Could be worth a try, though.

Note that RFTools is not in Direwolf's pack. It is in Infinity, though.