What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Never had it. The only time i've managed to detonate my base using Reika's mods was my first attempt at using Gas Turbines.

I *might* have accidentally my cow farm into the air intake a bit.

Reactions: xTordX

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
I *might* have accidentally my cow farm into the air intake a bit.

"Accidentally"? :p

Anyway, not cool at all but Minecraft portals are just stupid derpy when in close proximity to each other at both sides. Have had to reset mine three times, and have had the things set up less than two weeks.:mad:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I discovered a number of interactions between the different Imbued Fires from Thaumic Tinkerer.
  • The Aer fire turns dirt into sand. The Terra fire turns quite a few things, including sand, into dirt. Thus, if the two are released in the same area, they'll fight each other indefinitely, leaving a constantly-shifting mass of yellow and green flames. There's not very many natural barriers that can stop it. Water blocks the Terra fire, but not the Aer. Snow (Aqua-converted Netherrack, which itself is Ignis-converted dirt) seems to stop both, but that's about it.
  • The Aer fire seems to turn Vanilla logs into sand and leaves into sandstone. Watching an oak tree become covered in yellow flames, then harden into sandstone was very strange. If then beset by Terra fire as well as Aer, the Terra fire will turn the sandstone "leaves" into dirt, which the Aer fire will then turn into regular sand, which then falls to the ground. Result? The "leaves" gradually seem to decay.
  • Certain modded trees appear to be impervious to this, however. There's a Sakura tree (from Natura) in a part of my testworld that's still standing strong, despite being surrounded by both Aer and Terra fires at once. Even the mundane vanilla fire left behind by Perditio fire leaves it untouched- much to my annoyance, as Aer and Terra fires both keep springing up under it, no matter how much Perditio fire I throw around.
  • If you release Ignis and Aqua fires in the same area in the Overworld, the Ignis fire will spread out in a wave, immediately followed by the Aqua fire. Dirt and sand turn into netherrack and soul sand, then into snow and ice. The Aqua fire then out, with nothing left to consume.
  • If any fire isn't directly on top of a solid, opaque block, it becomes invisible. It's still there, just impossible to see.
  • The Ignis and Aer fires can both spread over water. Howevever, the Ignis leaves a layer of obsidian and lava behind, while the Aer fire... doesn't. The Aer fire actually just eats the source blocks occasionally, which then promptly refill because Minecraft infinite water mechanics, and is otherwise completely invisible. However, the two don't encroach on each others' territory- there's currently a part of the ocean in my testworld that is covered in obsidian and lava, right next to another part that isn't. The divide is actually pretty sharp- much sharper than the rather diffuse boundary between the obsidianized area and an area that was never attacked by the fire. (I used Perditio fire to kill the other fires in that area.)
  • The Ignis fire turns sand into soul sand. The Aqua fire turns soul sand into ice. The Aer fire turns ice into glass. Some areas of beach and desert in my testworld are now covered in glass. It's pretty weird-looking.
  • Perditio fire turns the other imbued fires into mundane Vanilla fire, which, unlike the various imbued fires, produces a fair amount of light. As such, it likes to melt the ice produced by the Aqua fire in area where Ignis fire has already spread- ripe for a bit of Aer fire that the Perditio missed to invisibly take over again.
  • Aer fire, speaking of which, seems to turn the water sources (or flowing blocks? not sure) into cake. Yes, cake. As in the Vanilla block crafted from milk buckets, wheat, sugar, and eggs that @jordsta95 likes to use as flooring. If there's more water under the cake, it just seems to vanish instantly, explaining all the random holes that appear in oceans covered by invisible Aer flames. However, if there's a solid block underneath the surface layer of water, the cake sticks in place. Some of the beaches in my testworld are now lined with partially-submerged cakes. This gives me an idea for a way to generate mana in Botania involving an Aquaeous Accumulator, a Buildcraft floodgate, and some Kekimurus. It'd have to go in an Aer-proof biome, of course; probably a desert. Or a void age.
  • I already knew about this, but the Aqua fire will take over the Nether just as rapidly as the Ignis fire will take over the Overworld. One interesting thing about this is that the Aqua fire turns both lava sources and flowing lava blocks into obsidian. When the fire hits one of the tall lava waterfalls coming from the ceiling, it will freeze the falling lava into floating obsidian blocks, which the still-molten lava above will try to flow around. Then, as the lava continues to flow outward and down, the fire will continue freezing it. Result? Gigantic lava-covered cones made of obsidian.
TL;DR: Don't ever throw any of these fires around in any dimension you want to keep. At least, not the elemental ones. The Perditio fire is an incredibly useful tool for cleaning up the other fires (although it doesn't always clear out every last block of the other fires, which is unfortunate), and the Ordo fire... honestly, I haven't gotten it to do much anything yet. The Thaumonomicon says that it consumes ores and triples their metal output- so it's probably relatively save in the Overworld.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Today I discovered that Collation Folders can have more than 20 symbols in them. In the Writing Desk, there is an extremely narrow black band at the bottom in which a new symbol can be dropped, allowing additional rows to be populated and scrolled. It's easier if the Collation Folder is open in your hotbar, as the band is slightly thicker.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Today I discovered that Collation Folders can have more than 20 symbols in them. In the Writing Desk, there is an extremely narrow black band at the bottom in which a new symbol can be dropped, allowing additional rows to be populated and scrolled. It's easier if the Collation Folder is open in your hotbar, as the band is slightly thicker.
uh what's this thing for/do?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
The downside to not setting the "extra seed chance" in the Magical Crops config to 0%.

2015-04-18_18.52.03.png

That's in addition to the 16 stacks of each in each planter.

I really need to not leave this system unattended for so long. The other side with the bone, blaze and wither seeds are just as bad ^_^

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Collation folders: In mystcraft, the old notebooks are now replaced by two different tools.

One is an ordered set of pages, and behaves very much like the old notebook; old notebooks upgrade to this new item.

The other is like a M:tG collection binder. It shows the pages you have, and the count of pages, as well as (button toggle) what pages you are missing.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Today, I learned that if you decide to keep Lilith's daughter as a pet by tying her to a post with a lead, Lilith will appear fully aggro'ed. >.>

Reactions: Mindfeak926

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Today, I learned that if you decide to keep Lilith's daughter as a pet by tying her to a post with a lead, Lilith will appear fully aggro'ed. >.>

I summoned lilith using a spawn egg in my creative world, after that whenever I tried killing her I crashed.
only one option was left... dig a hole through bedrock and push her in, but she kept dodging the friggin hole
it took me like 5 minutes to finally push her in

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft steam engines now explode when you pump water into them while they're hot...I knew this piece of unrealism was going to get fixed at some point :D

W

Wolfcraftian

Forests of increased spawn rates of vanilla mobs and farmable plants producing vanilla items though vanilla items, are copyrightable ideas not seen before either. What a cool little thing.

And lowering density on (early on) unbreakable death traps, is totally the same thing as lowering density on things you can force to spawn in the world with just a little bonemeal, and that because one person didn't realise this it means no one willo_O.