What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, I kinda like the fan. So easy to setup and requires pretty much no power.

But that aside, in my current world I'm doing everything with RoC, so MFR etc are off-limits :3

I'd be interested to see this. I've done a small bit of that, but never got a massive base up.

That also has me wondering, what would make for a good, minimal, focus on RoC pack? Possibly a discussion for another topic though.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'd be interested to see this. I've done a small bit of that, but never got a massive base up.

That also has me wondering, what would make for a good, minimal, focus on RoC pack? Possibly a discussion for another topic though.
I took Horizons and ripped out some distraction mods and added ElectriCraft (A RoC submod and excellent compliment to it)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've been doing some experimenting with producing steam from the Tinker's Steelworks high oven. Using a combination of AE, TE, and MFR, I can get a raw 2667RF/tick out of a single 3x3x8 high oven. (2506 RF/tick after subtracting the AE costs.) I don't think it can be pushed much higher.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
And it consumes charcoal much more slowly than a Railcraft boiler doesn't it?

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I just discovered the biomes o plenty's long grass (the topsoil block of the garden biome) works as farmland. For any kind of plant. I have essence seeds growing on long grass. Very cool indeed.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I just discovered the biomes o plenty's long grass (the topsoil block of the garden biome) works as farmland. For any kind of plant. I have essence seeds growing on long grass. Very cool indeed.
I've never tried it myself, but apparenty origin grass works the same.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I've never tried it myself, but apparenty origin grass works the same.
What would be amazing is if origin grass dropped tall grass drops when tilled. Like in the olden days.[DOUBLEPOST=1402792945][/DOUBLEPOST]Crap. Don't try farming with the tall grass. I tried harvesting wheat and it causes a crash block. Every time I try to enter the world, it crashes. So much for that.

Rotoscope

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that you can use Twilight Forest transformation powder to transform Twilight Wraiths into Blazes, which can then be killed for blaze rods(which I've been needing for a brewing stand, among many other things).

This was quite useful to me because I've had tough luck finding any blazes in the nether, and the item similar to blaze powder you get from those fire plants in the desert can't be combined to make the rods, so I needed blazes.

Good stuff. :)

Side note: You wouldn't believe the time I had trying to clear out a large Hollow Hill with stone swords and leather armor, dying over and over, then respawning in a little hut I built outside the hill. Must have spent 1 hour and a 1/2 on it. And on top of that, at some point an overworld creeper must have stumbled into my portal, so when I spawned in the TF he exploded and stranded me without a diamond to make a new one. As a result, I spent I don't know how much time gathering resources for IC2 machines and coal to macerate/compress to finally get a diamond from a coal chunk, seeing as how I couldn't find any in the world.......Sheesh.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I found out that you can use Twilight Forest transformation powder to transform Twilight Wraiths into Blazes, which can then be killed for blaze rods(which I've been needing for a brewing stand, among many other things).

This was quite useful to me because I've had tough luck finding any blazes in the nether, and the item similar to blaze powder you get from those fire plants in the desert can't be combined to make the rods, so I needed blazes.

Good stuff. :)

Side note: You wouldn't believe the time I had trying to clear out a large Hollow Hill with stone swords and leather armor, dying over and over, then respawning in a little hut I built outside the hill. Must have spent 1 hour and a 1/2 on it. And on top of that, at some point an overworld creeper must have stumbled into my portal, so when I spawned in the TF he exploded and stranded me without a diamond to make a new one. As a result, I spent I don't know how much time gathering resources for IC2 machines and coal to macerate/compress to finally get a diamond from a coal chunk, seeing as how I couldn't find any in the world.......Sheesh.
That actually sounds rather fun.

Reactions: YX33A

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that my new Manasteel Entwined Mercurial Crystal Wand can hold, not 500 vis as I expected, but a whopping 1000 vis, putting it above the Ichorium wand IMO.

Reactions: YX33A

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
well, heard of it long ago, found it a while back on tvtropes, found its wiki two days ago, got the basic game yesterday, picked up a modded version + texture pack today.

give it up for DWARF FORTRESS.
complex as heck, but awesome fun. (the normal fun, not game-ending "fun", though I fully expect that to come along)

I've learned that 5000 steel is not a lot of steel.

(Working on my next ReactorCraft project; no, not a fusion plant)

half the RoC blocks take nearly a full stack of steel if not more.
and you need a lot of them.
get back to digging son! your 2-second break is OVER.