What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
That after half a days worth of tackleing ID conflicts for a custom pack I discover a little mod called IDfix...
Both cool and annoying.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly, faster to grow, easier to grow and replanting themself.

It's strange nobody around here seem to use them...
I like using them to feed a MFR Bioreactor. Takes a while to set up (crossbreeding), but eight or nine 5x5 plots harvested by a single upgraded Harvester will feed at least two Reactors, each of which can feed several Bio Generators. Each of which produces 16 MJ a tick (160 RF).

Though you can do pretty well even without crossbreeding, though it takes more machines to process everything.

And, as mentioned above, they work so well at growing standard crops.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Rotarycraft Windmills are pretty amazing. A little gear work and they turn into a free lubricant plant. Admittedly, you've got to be at the top efficiency and I needed three of them with a Worm Gear, but free Lubricant.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft Windmills are pretty amazing. A little gear work and they turn into a free lubricant plant. Admittedly, you've got to be at the top efficiency and I needed three of them with a Worm Gear, but free Lubricant.
You can use a single steam engine with the right gearing. Or you can use four steam engines hooked up to shaft junctions. :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
One thing I'd love to discover is....what on earth is a good application for a worm gear? I gather it increases torque at an inefficient cost of speed, so why would I choose that over simply a couple of gearboxes?

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I'd love to discover is....what on earth is a good application for a worm gear? I gather it increases torque at an inefficient cost of speed, so why would I choose that over simply a couple of gearboxes?
I suppose it is meant for before you can get lube or good gearboxes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Two things: First, it's a 16:1 gear reduction, which is a very expensive gearbox. Speed is easy to get more of. Second, it doesn't take damage if you're trying to acquire Lubricant.

And I both like windmills because I think they're cool, and because they don't run the risk of burning down my nice wooden house. Though to be fair, all I wanted originally to do was charge my energy cell without relying on dynamos again.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Two things: First, it's a 16:1 gear reduction, which is a very expensive gearbox. Speed is easy to get more of. Second, it doesn't take damage if you're trying to acquire Lubricant.

And I both like windmills because I think they're cool, and because they don't run the risk of burning down my nice wooden house. Though to be fair, all I wanted originally to do was charge my energy cell without relying on dynamos again.
I also like windmills. Its fun to set up a bunch of them at minimum full-potential altitude, and create a whole farm of them up there.
Bonus if you make a pool of water to jump into from up there, since climbing down is boring.

All my RoC worlds feature either a windfarm or solar farm. But I still use the horribly dangerous industrial-coils to store energy instead of magnetostatics+energycells for some reason...

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I also like windmills. Its fun to set up a bunch of them at minimum full-potential altitude, and create a whole farm of them up there.
Bonus if you make a pool of water to jump into from up there, since climbing down is boring.

All my RoC worlds feature either a windfarm or solar farm. But I still use the horribly dangerous industrial-coils to store energy instead of magnetostatics+energycells for some reason...
Magneostatics are for the weak. Real rotarycrafters use ElC. :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Magneostatics are for the weak. Real rotarycrafters use ElC. :p
Silly question: do you use ElC in your early-game?
I find I refuse to use it until I can build at least a diamond-battery. The best battery, an Aurora (nether-star) takes like 250 diamonds to make I think.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Funnily enough, in my latest SSP world, I can. I ran into two diamond veins in the same cave, so I've got quite a few diamonds.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Funnily enough, in my latest SSP world, I can. I ran into two diamond veins in the same cave, so I've got quite a few diamonds.
Yeah, but, but but, even if you silk-touch/extractor those, its still not enough for a diamond battery (lustrous? I forget)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Find 4 diamonds, make a diamond seed, tend it lovingly.

Rinse, repeat, lots of jiggery-pokery to make your farm run faster and gief more essence and more diamond seeds.

250 diamonds is a snip, at this point i've almost given up quarrying due to the awesome of magical crops ^_^

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
GLWT. My valuables are stored inside the memory of the Central Brain, protected by a forcefield.

External goodies sent to ore processing aren't even in the same dimension. Once they are acquired they never exist in physical form in the overworld.

Colin, always one step ahead :)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
GLWT. My valuables are stored inside the memory of the Central Brain, protected by a forcefield.

External goodies sent to ore processing aren't even in the same dimension. Once they are acquired they never exist in physical form in the overworld.

Colin, always one step ahead :)
Behold the magical tpx machine.