Universal Electricity vs IC2 pros & cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Modular Power Suits by Machine Muse.

It is an external UE mod like Galacticraft. :)

I was aware of the MPS Omni-tool, I was wondering about any other tools that were available.

Does UE have any generators that use BC oil or fuel for power generation?

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
Mek has the Atomic Disassembler which is a power tool that works as a Sword, Pickaxe, Axe & Shovel all in one. I seem to remember looking at another tool from somewhere else, but can't remember it now. :(

Not sure if I can think of anything that uses BC Oil or Fuel.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Mek has the Atomic Disassembler which is a power tool that works as a Sword, Pickaxe, Axe & Shovel all in one. I seem to remember looking at another tool from somewhere else, but can't remember it now. :(

Not sure if I can think of anything that uses BC Oil or Fuel.

Do not forget the base paxel, which is not electric, can come in handy

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a standard between the the main power systems?
For example: 1MJ=5EU, 1MJ=3UE, or 3UE=5EU?
I got the conversions from the default Mekanism config, and they are as follows:

100 J/t = 4.0 MJ/t = 10 EU/t

The above derived from the output of the heat generator. Soooooooo, 25 Joules (UE) = 1 MJ (BC), 10 Joules (UE) = 1 EU (IC2).

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else having issues with Mekanism power (solars and wind thingies) stopping working when chunks unload, even EnderIO power conduits do the same, it seems as though the Mek's power cubes appear to be bugged. But even removing these the power seems to stop after chunks are unloaded and I go back. It can't be the server I'm playing on as it does it in SSP too (RR pack).

Breaking and replacing the connections appears to get it going again.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else having issues with Mekanism power (solars and wind thingies) stopping working when chunks unload, even EnderIO power conduits do the same, it seems as though the Mek's power cubes appear to be bugged. But even removing these the power seems to stop after chunks are unloaded and I go back. It can't be the server I'm playing on as it does it in SSP too (RR pack).

Breaking and replacing the connections appears to get it going again.
Don't rightly know, as I tend to keep all my power-using chunks loaded because I'm paranoid about just such a thing happening and having something IC2 going ballistic and exploding in a great fireball of misplaced electrical rage.

Reactions: PierceSG

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Why pit them against each other? i use 'em together and they work pretty darn well.

They even have support for each other, like how their power is interchangable.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Why pit them against each other? i use 'em together and they work pretty darn well.

It was not my intention to pit one mod against the other. I have used IC2 for almost 2 years and I know the mod well, however I didnt know anything about UE. UE is closer to IC2 for functionality then BC so I have been using IC2 for an example for most of my questions.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

IC is really well know and alot of people use it. UE is not really well known, mostly because of bad documentation, and only a small amount of people use it.
by comparing them with eachother you can see if UE is worth trying out if you've played with IC before or not.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Two questions in regards to the Atomic Science Fission Reactor:
1: What is the benefit of stacking two fission reactors on top of one another?

2: How big can you realistically make a fission reactor? I have one in my current world with an internal area of 3x3x2.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'd see no benefits to stacking. It would make channeling steam from the steam funnels kinda awkward, possibly.

I don't believe there's an upper size limit, but i don't think you get more steam with a larger size. As it stand with the steam funnels you'll have a ridiculous amount of power already

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
By making the fission reactor a multiblock you can get a LOT more heat out of one rod which means a lot more steam from that one rod. :)

Reactions: RedBoss

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
IC is really well know and alot of people use it. UE is not really well known, mostly because of bad documentation, and only a small amount of people use it.
by comparing them with eachother you can see if UE is worth trying out if you've played with IC before or not.
But why not use them together?

The nuclear reactors are perty.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking through the configs from Atomic Science and I saw this: "Allow Layered Turbines"=true, what does this mean?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
One of the main reasons I like UE (specifically, Mekanism) over IC2 is that Mekanism doesn't punish me for having redundant power sources. You can't overload a universal cable or a Mekanism machine. It uses one of my favourite principles, It Just Works. That, more than anything, is why I love Mekanism.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I'm quite fond of ICBM and the way it reinvigorates PvP. It basically can turn two factions' war into a cold one. MFFS also adds great defense from mobs, players and nukes. This version is far superior to the IC2 version. You can do so much more. These two mods are, quite simply, fun. I also enjoy MineChem, dispite it being a lot of standing still. You can create quite complex systems. Mekanism adds so much content and the things that it shares with IC2 are played in a lot more fun a way. IC2's ridiculous need for lots of materials and long crafting recipes can be off-putting, especially early game. This is true even before the new updates. Resonant Induction's power and item transport system is visually striking and it surports Multiparts we'll. Dark's mods have a few great additions, but they're mostly so-so. I've never truly used Atomic Science. Then there's the great mods with compatibility (Galacticraft, MPS, MFR, Railcraft) they all add so many great features.Galacticraft's planets (despite being next to pointless) can be quite fun to explore and a space race can only improve the Cold War element. To compare IC2 to the UE family is unfair as IC2 is one (somewhat dated) mod and UE has just so much more to it. You can cover most of IC2's features with these mods and a lot more. But, TBH, the mods are so much better when used in conjunction with Buildcraft and IC2 power, the mods appear to of been designed to work with the pair of them and they do so well. I play with a very large personal modpack with 200+ mods (surprisingly not that buggy - but still could do with some narrowing down) with all of these, and in every new world I like to create a lot of Buildcraft power to power Mekanism machines. I say UE does cover next to all bases, but some mods do things better (especially textures) and I don't know how well they stand by themselves. Reading this thread it's clear how important Mekanism and Atomic Science are, my fave route mods are probably still ICBM, MFFS and Galacticraft (what can I say, I'm very competitive), but those mods are improved and complimented by so many others.

Edit: Just worth saying, install ICBM and revel in how awesome the explosions and missiles are.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
I'm quite fond of ICBM and the way it reinvigorates PvP. It basically can turn two factions' war into a cold one. MFFS also adds great defense from mobs, players and nukes. This version is far superior to the IC2 version. You can do so much more.
Eh, yeah, once you find their base i guess...

Which can take a while

Status
Not open for further replies.