Universal Electricity vs IC2 pros & cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I have a deep disdain for video based tutorials and guides. Not everyone has unlimited data and there's much more that can conveyed in written communication.

Sadly these forums are a poor representation of the trends in modded MC. Just browse the ftb reddit and you'll see there's a massive gap in perspective between just those 2 communities. From what I can tell, the mod trend leans heavily on what youtubers are using with very little deviation.

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
I have a deep disdain for video based tutorials and guides. Not everyone has unlimited data and there's much more that can conveyed in written communication.

Time if more limited for me than bandwidth. Why would I want to spend more than two minutes looking up what something simple like a GUI for a machine, or which of these items is the starting engine without sitting through a 24 minute video. On a wiki I can click and read all the info in a minute or two.

If the only documentation is a video then I'll just skip it. I've been stumbling around using UE and I think I would really like it. There are already some really neat items to play with but I get bogged down in NEI trying to figure it out. Or worse spend my last diamond on a machine that it turns out doesn't do what I thought it would.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed.

But the worst are those where it's obvious the video recorder hasn't done any scripting or preparation. Stutters and such I can understand, but doing things completely wrong and wasting 10 minutes, only to then explain what you should have done in 5 seconds? If you're going to do a video like that, do it right and invest in a NLVE already.

Or you could have just written a paragraph about it on a wiki or whatever instead, and saved everyone involved a whole lot of time and annoyance.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019

Sadly these forums are a poor representation of the trends in modded MC. Just browse the ftb reddit and you'll see there's a massive gap in perspective between just those 2 communities. From what I can tell, the mod trend leans heavily on what youtubers are using with very little deviation.

I find that both the video 'spotlights' and the wikis are good for information.

The spotlight method is far more useful to take a glance at an entire mod to get a feeling for most of what it's capable of. And it's easier to make, to boot. If I want to see if I'm interested in a mod, I'll watch a spotlight. Every time. That's probably why they're so popular on the Reddit. Because many there are looking to find out about the mods as a whole instead of only parts of them.

The wiki method is far more useful if you want to know how only a particular machine, mechanic, or feature works. You can look at just the information you need instead of needing to dig through a lot of useless (to you) information. One of the problems is that it takes far longer to fully wiki out the same things that would take minutes in a spotlight. A picture is worth a thousand words, after all, with a video being worth far more. That being said, if I'm interested in just one feature I'll seek out a wiki as well.

All it would take is for a few people to watch one of the spotlights and to update the wikis themselves. Of course it does take time, and a significant amount of it. Seems the problem is that people don't want to devote the extra time it takes to update a wiki with an entire mod.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Most of my UE experience is centred around Mekanism, but I can say that I do much prefer Mekanism over IC2 for...most anything. The power gen's a lot simpler and easier to get going and a little NEI work can show you the proper order of the ore processing machines to get your ores tripled. The factory blocks, especially the elite factories blow their IC2 counterparts out of the water with a few upgrades. For example, a max (8x) speed Mekanism smelting factory can process more than triple the amount of materials, as it has 7 input and output slots, and runs at almost the same speed, from the get-go, as a max-heat induction furnace.

I'm not sure if its been fixed yet or not, but you do need to be a little careful with packs and avoid hooking up MFR machines to Mekanism universal cables. Something about the mixture of the two can, again unless its been fixed, cause some serious lag.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a standard between the the main power systems?
For example: 1MJ=5EU, 1MJ=3UE, or 3UE=5EU?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using 1.6.2 version of Mekanism and I can't seem to get my factory to output automatically even after I have set the colored face with the wrench.
Tried translocator and the pipes that came with the one of the Universal Electricity's mods, none of them works.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using 1.6.2 version of Mekanism and I can't seem to get my factory to output automatically even after I have set the colored face with the wrench.
Tried translocator and the pipes that came with the one of the Universal Electricity's mods, none of them works.

The vanilla hopper works for me, you could also try an extractor pipe from Logistics Pipes.

What is the benefit from making a fission reactor more then one block tall? It still only uses one fissionable rod for fuel and one colling rod cools the reactor regardless of size.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the advices. Right now, I'm trying to compile my own pack so I do not have much now.
Only having UE atm. Will probably add BC and LP in later once I find the UE mods are working fine.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Hello!

Sorry if i deviate a bit, but this post sparked my curiosity :)

As i understand it, UE itself is like an api, Mekanism is a mod that uses it...

What collection of mods do you suggest would be good to start trying this branch of energy generation/usage? Just UE + Mekanism? Any other essentials?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Hello!

What collection of mods do you suggest would be good to start trying this branch of energy generation/usage? Just UE + Mekanism? Any other essentials?
UE is not a mod at all, it IS an API. Having said that, Mekanism is my favorite of the UE-based mods. Atomic Science is a lot of fun, but... well.. there's some unplanned synergy between the steam turbines from AS and the Railcraft boilers...

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Does UE have any kind of base defense options? IC2 has the tesla coil which can be used to kill mobs.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
UE is not a mod at all, it IS an API. Having said that, Mekanism is my favorite of the UE-based mods. Atomic Science is a lot of fun, but... well.. there's some unplanned synergy between the steam turbines from AS and the Railcraft boilers...

So UE and mekanism would be a good starting point to learn the mods, no other essentials?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So UE and mekanism would be a good starting point to learn the mods, no other essentials?
Again, UE IS NOT A MOD! It's an API. Just install Mekanism by itself.

I wouldn't exactly say it's a good starting point to learn the mods, but it does have all the ore processing functionality that you'd want.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019

Ok the turrets that the ICBM mod adds look really cool, I'll have to try them out.

Hello!

You may want to look into this for some of the mods that are based on the UE API: Universal Electricity

McyD

Jul 29, 2019
Again, UE IS NOT A MOD! It's an API. Just install Mekanism by itself.

I wouldn't exactly say it's a good starting point to learn the mods, but it does have all the ore processing functionality that you'd want.

Actually UE is both an API and a Mod, if UE is installed it adds base components that are usable by all UE mods. However, many if not all of the UE mods will also work without UE installed as well, such as Modular powersuits. Additionally, there are two separate UE downloads, the mod (which I just mentioned) and the API for developers. The UE mods just all use the same power system for compatibility and rendering style for a cohesive look.

Status
Not open for further replies.