Universal Electricity vs IC2 pros & cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
So I have been playing around with the Fission Reactor from Atomic Science and I was wondering is there any way to automate the refilling process with fresh fissionable fuel rods in the reactor?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
So I have been playing around with the Fission Reactor from Atomic Science and I was wondering is there any way to automate the refilling process with fresh fissionable fuel rods in the reactor?
hopper did a fine job of doing that when i last tested, so i assume other methods of item transport should work too.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
One of my favourite things about Mekanism is how useful the universal cables are. No need for any "extraction pipes" or any of that horseshit, and it has no maximum throughput, to the best of my knowledge. Just make sure to not directly power any IC2 machine with 'em. They go retarded and explode, many times. Run the current thru a transformer and have the output end hooked to regular IC2 cables. This is just my experience, though, and may be different for others...I just prefer to be safe when having to, ugh, run IC2 machines since they have that dumbass explosion mechanic. I swear, if it weren't for GregTech forcing me to use some IC2 machines to make other shit, I'd never touch it on the server on which I play...its quickly losing its lustre.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Hello!

Sorry if i deviate a bit, but this post sparked my curiosity :)

As i understand it, UE itself is like an api, Mekanism is a mod that uses it...

What collection of mods do you suggest would be good to start trying this branch of energy generation/usage? Just UE + Mekanism? Any other essentials?
resonant induction is also fairly important

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
Just make sure to not directly power any IC2 machine with 'em. They go retarded and explode, many times. Run the current thru a transformer and have the output end hooked to regular IC2 cables. This is just my experience, though, and may be different for others...I just prefer to be safe when having to, ugh, run IC2 machines since they have that dumbass explosion mechanic.

I want you to do something for me, please? Take two pieces of copper wire, and put an end of each wire into the cell phone plugin port. Then, hook the other wire ends into the two slot openings of an outlet. I await your results...

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I want you to do something for me, please? Take two pieces of copper wire, and put an end of each wire into the cell phone plugin port. Then, hook the other wire ends into the two slot openings of an outlet. I await your results...
Why would anyone do that? Even if you're attempting to prove the mechanics of explosions are reasonable, your unreasonable example negates your argument.

Reactions: Roady and Loufmier

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
Why would anyone do that? Even if you're attempting to prove the mechanics of explosions are reasonable, your unreasonable example negates your argument.

It's not unreasonable. The fact that you are getting so startled by said idea validates the necessity of learning about how electrical voltages applies to objects in the real world. IndustrialCraft simply mimics this phenomena, as it serves as a useful discouragement of throwing too much power into a machine that can't handle it. That's why I find it nerve racking that people call such feature stupid: because there is a realistic danger of overloading a device and blowing stuff up when you generate too much power at one spot at a time.

Now granted, I know that Minecraft is 'just a game' to you folks, but I'd rather a mod have some intuitive snip-its of realistic science here and there that you can apply outside of the game. Terrafirmacraft is a good example of how different rock species determine what metal resources that you are able to find in your geography. To belittle a mod just because it follows realistic limitations in a scientific setting is, in my opinion, truly stupid...

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, there's a line between what real life mechanics actually work in a video game and which ones just don't. Example: imagine if you had to go to the bathroom in MC every so often. That adds nothing to the game. It's just stupid and pointless.

Kinda like IC2 explosions and wrench mechanics. They're just a pain; they don't really make the game or mod "harder" (IC2 is a very ezmode mod btw, unlike its vastly superior cousin Mekanism).

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It's not unreasonable. The fact that you are getting so startled by said idea validates the necessity of learning about how electrical voltages applies to objects in the real world. IndustrialCraft simply mimics this phenomena, as it serves as a useful discouragement of throwing too much power into a machine that can't handle it. That's why I find it nerve racking that people call such feature stupid: because there is a realistic danger of overloading a device and blowing stuff up when you generate too much power at one spot at a time.

Now granted, I know that Minecraft is 'just a game' to you folks, but I'd rather a mod have some intuitive snip-its of realistic science here and there that you can apply outside of the game. Terrafirmacraft is a good example of how different rock species determine what metal resources that you are able to find in your geography. To belittle a mod just because it follows realistic limitations in a scientific setting is, in my opinion, truly stupid...
Attempting to apply science to a fictitious world in which there are other dimensions which you can access by building a rectangle out of obsidian and applying a spark to the interior, enchanting is a provable mechanic, and a dragon is documented reality is an exercise in futility at best and outright ludicrous.

You might welcome it, perhaps. And you are welcome to it. For me? I want a more robust system which doesn't blow up every time I look at it funny. Verisimilitude does not have to include exploding machines.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
your argument would be reasonable if people actually died or lost their limbs when tried to feed 110 or 220 volts to a cell phone. at worst they get broken cell phone and relatively minor injuries.

once there was power surge in my house and voltage in a socket jumped from 220 to 330. my PC stands about 3 meters from my bed, when surge happened i heard a loud bang(there goes circuit breaker in PC`s PSU), short after there was a second bang which resulted in fried PSU. nothing else was damaged and PSU case wasn't deformed. if i was in minecraft with IC2 installed i would've died that day and my room would've been completely destroyed.

Last edited:

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
The explosion mechanics need to remain intact if for no other reason than the glorious schadenfreude I experience every time I see someone rage about blowing themselves up. It's like the Darwin awards for modded Minecraft. *ducks*

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I would love IC2 to keep it's explosion effect.

I don't use it anyway but I love seeing the rage it induces on server.

Reactions: RedBoss

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
Of course there are those still on this site who can't be bothered to be inconvenienced by anything when it comes to game mechanics. Let's just punish mod authors for introducing limitations, because limitations "don't add to gameplay"... :rolleyes:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Of course there are those still on this site who can't be bothered to be inconvenienced by anything when it comes to game mechanics. Let's just punish mod authors for introducing limitations, because limitations "don't add to gameplay"... :rolleyes:
Explosions because you got a wiring wrong is limitations? I do not know how it can be categorised as that.
The explosion mechanics doesn't limit you from doing anything, it punishes you severely for having your power grid setup wrong.
I rather the network just don't work when you have it wrong and would require you to find out what is wrong than explodes, destroying almost everything which prevents you from knowing what went wrong except that for the fact you had wired it wrong somehow.

Reactions: Roady

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
The explosion mechanics doesn't limit you from doing anything, it punishes you severely for having your power grid setup wrong.

And? Did it ever occur to you that perhaps IC2 devs wanted people to pay attention to instances where they are careless with their wiring set ups? If it just "doesn't work", people wouldn't give the mechanic a second thought. But when you add a sharp, resource consuming penalty to said feature, suddenly people start paying attention to it (or just moan and groan over how dumb said feature is).

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, unless you have the information readily in game without the need to resort to Google (or whatever search engine suits each individual needs) for the wiki, which some mods does in the form of either tooltips or books.

I mean, if you do not watch Youtube nor search the relevant information on the internet, what most users would find is exploding machines for no good reason. And that puts them off. Maybe IC2 isn't for the majority of players. I confess I'm not a fan of it, my worlds so far only uses it for it's Induction Furnace.

And with regards to your statement, how does one learn how to wire it correctly when there aren't information in game that tells you what you need to know? How does one actually do troubleshooting if the machines just blows up and you need to re-craft them just to try again? You might go into the try-it-in-creative-first area but doesn't that just tells you how unintuitive the mod is?

But regardless, I would want IC2 to keep it's exploding mechanics in. I like it for drama.

Reactions: RedBoss

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe IC2 isn't for the majority of players.

There is no amount of coding that a person can do to overcome the shortfall of a user's intelligence and/or resourcefulness. Expecting a mod to do just so the end user can be lazy and uninformed is quite foolish. You're hating on IC2 for it not allowing you to be lethargic in your gameplay. For that, I have no sympathy for you at all...

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
There is no amount of coding that a person can do to overcome the shortfall of a user's intelligence and/or resourcefulness. Expecting a mod to do just so the end user can be lazy and uninformed is quite foolish. You're hating on IC2 for it not allowing you to be lethargic in your gameplay. For that, I have no sympathy for you at all...
Lethargic? I'm sorry, but you have the wrong mindset to argue against this. Just because someone does not want to spend their precious free time making a system, having their hard work destroyed, spending time to Google and get the CORRECT answer (because there are tons of wrong answers out there as well), and then go back and do it again, does not make the user lazy or uniformed. For something as "complex" as the Nuclear reactors from IC2, maybe we should search around for answers, but for the basic systems? They should have information in game if they are going to use such an archaic system.
I hate IC2 for many reasons. It's been the same way (give or take) since I used it back in beta, and it grew stale. In their attempts to change it, they didn't fix any of the older, outdated designs. They haven't added any information in game. They don't add any complexity at all, outside of learning what makes stuff blow up, and where to find their next reactor design.
Also, how does that make a user less resourceful? It doesn't, because they will just move onto another mod doesn't rely on archaic mechanics and is actually interesting. Mekanism, TE, and other various mods have become increasing popular due to this.
"If you don't like it, don't use it" Well, a lot of people aren't using it anymore. I'm glad you enjoy it, but don't call others lazy because they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.