Throwing together a quick pack to introduce a newbie

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
My server is live. It feels really good. Really good. Sights and sounds.

If you give it a shot, recommend cutting out Grimoire of Gaia. It was one step too much. Didn't quite fit in. It will be out of future versions, I'm just not updating the rar file just for that yet.

I will tweak things as I play, but don't expect regular updates yet. If you're interested in following along on the builds, I post videos fairly regularly in the showcase forum. Otherwise, I'll leave this thread you for feedback and updates for now. I'll make a new thread in modpack development when it's closer to a real release, unless a mod says otherwise.

I would recommend checking it out. Just keep in mind, super alpha.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you intend to share the pack, I recommend going through the effort of publishing it on Curse. Last I knew, it was highly frowned upon to distribute mods outside of that venue, and I don't want to see any BS come your way over either not knowing or simply misunderstanding. It will also allow you to logically keep track of updates and config changes as you test the pack, and easily distribute said changes to any pack testers.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
If I end up making it public, eventually I will. But right now, this is still in early alpha. It's not ready for release. Some people said they were interested in testing it.

I still don't know if I want to make it totally public or not yet. I'm really not interested in checking each mod for permission so they can use an ad linker to circumvent the EULA. It's their right to do so and all, I'm just not interested in making it public if it's gonna be a hassle or prevents the pack from being what it's supposed to be. If we're pretty much just talking about taking out optifine, fine. Much more than that, then it's a private pack I'm willing to share with friends, not to be distributed.

Either way, right now, I'm just playing it out and seeing what needs to be tweaked.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I love how Twitch/Curse/Whatever tells you it'll only take a few minutes to update, and half an hour later you're still staring at it.

There's a simpler way to do it Drbretto: Open your copy of the profile, then under the ..., is the option export profile. Use that instead, and it generates a recipe, with the list of mods for the launcher to download and all the configs compressed in a zip.

Then when you create a custom profile, you have the option to import that .zip and it'll unpack and install all the mods. A difference of 260mb between what it exports, and having all the mods zipped up. IE, my pack exported like that is 1.1Mb. You can even select what to pack up if you have a specific save you want to share for example.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
It can include anything in the minecraft folder, including resource packs. Don't expect the file size to be very small if you do that however.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I don't know why people keep bringing up file size, lol. I don't care about file size in the slightest. Not even a tiny bit.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
File size wouldn't make a difference since it'd only be instructions to download them. And don't forget not everyone has infinite connection speed, even if the ping is low enough to play. But mostly it's a time saver. So you can just click a button and update, rather than having to dig into the files and manually find the things you want. Plus no issues from redistroing mods.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
File size wouldn't make a difference since it'd only be instructions to download them. And don't forget not everyone has infinite connection speed, even if the ping is low enough to play. But mostly it's a time saver. So you can just click a button and update, rather than having to dig into the files and manually find the things you want. Plus no issues from redistroing mods.

Here's the thing, though. This pack isn't for budget PCs running off your cellphone data. This is a cadillac pack. And, it doesn't matter how big the file is. If you just take the mods out of the zip and download them directly from twitch, if anything, you're downloading extra data because the mod files aren't packed into the archive. You are still downloading everything.

The number one thing I do not want to do with this pack is tailor it for "everyone". This pack has a specific focus and is intended to be the best at what it's good for. Part of my trepidation about making it public is, I'm simply not interested in troubleshooting it for everyone's PC, or hearing about how someone who understands this pack about as well as nuclear creeper telling me how it should be something different. This is my personal pack for me and my friends on my server. If anyone should also happen to want to play it, I'm happy to share it, but I'm not interested in any of the junk that comes with it.

That may or may not mean hosting it on twitch, or exporting it, or whatever. I just don't know yet.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Fair enough, but it also means you can make those pack changes you mentioned without having to re-zip and redistribute a huge file each time. It makes iterating versions much simpler. As for the size, yes, but then you've got the unzipped files, plus the zipped file sitting there. I have lots of space on my drive, but having half a gig sitting there doing nothing just causes cleaning utilities to bug me about it. And if I decide I want the pack, but don't want to play it now, the little file is more convenient to leave lying around ready to re-download the pack for me when I decide to have at it, or have the interest.

Exporting isn't publishing, as much as something you can use to distribute it to people you want to let beta test your pack. Or to your group of friends.

Reactions: Inaeo

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't mean to start anything by my above. I just didn't want you to end up in hot water over redistribution. Some shady sites were doing redistribution (probably still some out there) and putting it behind an adwall and removing credits where they are due. Those A-holes caused people to be very sensitive to redistribution (for good reason), but sometimes it catches the little guys in the fray. I just wasn't sure if you knew how butthurt people got over it, and didn't want people coming down on you over something innocent.

I agree, though, that the small export file is likely easier than trying to transfer mods otherwise, as well as making versioning so much easier to track.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I'll try it when you release. And give you constructive criticism about the progression system, like with Battlefront 2. RIP EA

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'll try it when you release. And give you constructive criticism about the progression system, like with Battlefront 2. RIP EA

While I appreciate the idea, I'm not sure you're capable of constructive criticism if you don't understand the point of the pack. For real no offense, but until you're capable of stepping out of your own shoes, you are not capable of giving constructive advice on anything.

I just wasn't sure if you knew how butthurt people got over it

Oh, I've been on the internet before. People get butthurt about everything! :p

And don't get me wrong, I totally get it. And the wat KingTriaxx explains it, it might even just be easier on my people.

But, while some complaints like the ones you describe have merit, I feel like the real reason some of the mod makers want their mods away from the launcher is only because they are the ones that want to put it behind the ad wall so they get paid for it. And frankly, I don't respect that. You make a mod for free. It's your contribution to a community that gives you everything for free. Seeing people like the replaymod guys trying to turn their mod into Facebook irks me to no end.

But, I will look into the launcher option just because it'll be easier, I think.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
While I appreciate the idea, I'm not sure you're capable of constructive criticism if you don't understand the point of the pack. For real no offense, but until you're capable of stepping out of your own shoes, you are not capable of giving constructive advice on anything.
No, I understand the point, I'm being realistic.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
No, I understand the point, I'm being realistic.

You do not, lol. You're free to comment on it, but don't be surprised if I dismiss your advice. I won't bother quoting it anymore. I'll just keep moving past it. So don't waste too much time on it. You've been talking about your own pack in your own head ever since the beginning. Not my pack. That's not what constructive criticism is. I honestly don't think you are capable of constructive criticism on anything at this point in time. That requires an ability to empathize with other points of view, which is a skill you've demonstrated a lack of since joining this board.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I am having some trouble with a few things:

Dungeon Tactics: I just wanted to disable the ore clusters from dropping, but the config file was written by an alien from outter space. It's really confusingly worded. I changed what I thought might be the option that causes that, but it didnt' work, so we just ended up disabling it. I'd rather not disable it, though.

Quark: Apparently, limestone slabs are crashing the server. Anyone hear of this before? I was able to disable the stuff on quark that I don't like, but I want to keep most of the rest, including the limestone. I had to disable this one to get out of a crash loop. Any ideas?

And what does UniDict do? because I thought that it was supposed to make the world not generate 3 different types of copper or whatever. Maybe it's because the world we're building on was imported from an older build and already generated some before adding unidict, but even new chunks seem to be generating the different flavors of ores, and breaking them drops what you'd expect. Is this mod not actually doing anything?

I know I can edit the config files of all the things generating the different copper ores to have only one version spawn. I just thought UniDict would act as a shortcut.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
And what does UniDict do? because I thought that it was supposed to make the world not generate 3 different types of copper or whatever. Maybe it's because the world we're building on was imported from an older build and already generated some before adding unidict, but even new chunks seem to be generating the different flavors of ores, and breaking them drops what you'd expect. Is this mod not actually doing anything?

I know I can edit the config files of all the things generating the different copper ores to have only one version spawn. I just thought UniDict would act as a shortcut.

When the copper gets mined, do they drop as a single ore block from one mod, or do they drop as an ore block from multiple mods? My understanding is that Unidict is just going to take the mining result and unify that to a single item, and then modify all crafting recipes so they take or use only a single ore dict item, rather than one mod's specific variant of that item.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
When the copper gets mined, do they drop as a single ore block from one mod, or do they drop as an ore block from multiple mods? My understanding is that Unidict is just going to take the mining result and unify that to a single item, and then modify all crafting recipes so they take or use only a single ore dict item, rather than one mod's specific variant of that item.

Here's where I may have messed things up somehow, and these issues may actually be related.

Before I uninstalled Dungeon Tactics, all ores would drop Dungeon Tactics ore clusters, ragardless of the mod the ore came from. I disabled Dungeon tactics, and all ores started dropping themselves, and were mod-dependent. Once I run them through the AA crusher, though, they're just copper dust, but that's AA doing that.

So, now I'm not sure if Unidict was forcing the clusters as the common ore, or if all the work was being done by Dungeon Tactics.

I suppose I could just re-add dungeon tactics and let the clusters drop, and if people want raw ores they can use silk touch, but I'd really rather see the ores drop by default.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ooh, that would kinda make sense. If I find that configuration then, I should be able to drop that unidict mod altogether. For all I know, that's part of where the issues are coming from. I really want to keep Quark in there, too.