Throwing together a quick pack to introduce a newbie

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
So....

What do I do about this quantum quarry? Do I disable it altogether? Is there an reasonable gate you can't just jump straight to that makes sense?

I kinda don't mind the idea of *eventually* unlocking it. But only at a point where pretty much everything is trivial. Like literally the very last major step in the run before you're basically on a creative mode post-game continuation.

Now, I, personally, am 100% able to self-impose that rule on myself, and I'll proceed accordingly on this run where I really feel things out, but I would like to find an elegant solution.

I do actually still want to do an HQM at some point. Maybe this is a question for that. I'll have to run through this pack thinking about how I'd like to set up that progression, but I could just make it a final prize for completing everything else or something.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So....

What do I do about this quantum quarry? Do I disable it altogether? Is there an reasonable gate you can't just jump straight to that makes sense?

I kinda don't mind the idea of *eventually* unlocking it. But only at a point where pretty much everything is trivial. Like literally the very last major step in the run before you're basically on a creative mode post-game continuation.

Now, I, personally, am 100% able to self-impose that rule on myself, and I'll proceed accordingly on this run where I really feel things out, but I would like to find an elegant solution.

I do actually still want to do an HQM at some point. Maybe this is a question for that. I'll have to run through this pack thinking about how I'd like to set up that progression, but I could just make it a final prize for completing everything else or something.
Require a Draconic Core for it or something? Or simply make it uncraftable and a reward for something from HQM

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The Quantum Quarry essentially establishes the "Creative Mode in Survival Mode" due to the, now hassle-free, infinite resources. By this point, you should have your storage system of choice set up and troubleshot to perfection, gear appropriate for ruling all but the most dangerous foes, and power coming out your bum. Maybe use these milestones as recipe ingredients?

For instance, a Supercharged Silent's Gems Pick, an RFTools Builder, two filled Resonant Energy Cells, a Draconic Core, and a pair of Nether Stars (because you're going to need a Wither farm anyway) would show that you have mastered a number of different tech trees and have built enough infrastructure to support it's use. Maybe not these exact items, but taking the related top tier items from a few mods would be a decent test, IMO.

Edit: Maybe Vibrant Capacitor Banks rather than Energy Cells, but throw in Cryostabilized Fluxducts to show mastery of TD and EnderIO both?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I like that concept. At first, I didn't like the idea of requiring extra combines for the sake of it, but being an ultra high-end item, I think it's ok.

Wonder if there's any way to add an xp component, too. Like, all that but also require 100 levels.

Orrr.... I could make it an Avaritia recipe...? I dunno. I'll take these offers of advice and let 'em roll around in my head leading up to the recipe editing portion of this process.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of assumed this was the gateway into Avaritia, since you would need boatloads of stuff to progress, which would be provided by the eventual Quantum Quarry. Requiring the boatload of stuff up-front would turn it into a "Why bother, I got this far without it."

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I kind of assumed this was the gateway into Avaritia, since you would need boatloads of stuff to progress, which would be provided by the eventual Quantum Quarry. Requiring the boatload of stuff up-front would turn it into a "Why bother, I got this far without it."

Yeah, I was thinking that right after I posted it. I think I would want the Quantum Quarry to kind of be the gateway to Avaritia.

I'll feel it out, though. I like a combination of yours and shneeky's thoughts here. I want it to be late game and a major milestone of the pack, but I want it to prove that you've conquered the different tiers before it, but not just require eons of combining things either. I'll look into the things you suggested, but maybe the draconic core is just enough. Assuming that's one of the higher tiers for the core, not just the one you can make out of a few draconium.

Edit: Yeah, the Draconic Energy Core looks like it might be appropriate. I just looked up the recipe.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I like that concept. At first, I didn't like the idea of requiring extra combines for the sake of it, but being an ultra high-end item, I think it's ok.

Wonder if there's any way to add an xp component, too. Like, all that but also require 100 levels.

Orrr.... I could make it an Avaritia recipe...? I dunno. I'll take these offers of advice and let 'em roll around in my head leading up to the recipe editing portion of this process.
Now that's an interesting one. Certain recipes from ExU2, like the Lasso, require some XP to make. I'm not sure how that works, I think you need a vanilla crafting table to do it in game, not sure. But there may well be a way to get it to require 100 levels!

As an alternative; you could make part of it require, say, 8 tanks filled with liquid XP? Hm.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
With the way XP scales, that practically IS 8 tanks filled with liquid XP.

But what it xcomes down to is whether or not ExU2 (which was where I got the idea from) has something special that allows that or if that's something in the recipe tweaker that I can add in. But, also thinking about it, 100 levels at that stage is nothing. Especially once you have some automated killing machines. And even without it, it's still not that hard to get. I think on my last Sprout pack, I had 143 levels worth saved up and that was all manual kills.

So, I thought it was a neat idea at first, but I'm not sure it really brings anything to the table anyway.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
With the way XP scales, that practically IS 8 tanks filled with liquid XP.

But what it xcomes down to is whether or not ExU2 (which was where I got the idea from) has something special that allows that or if that's something in the recipe tweaker that I can add in. But, also thinking about it, 100 levels at that stage is nothing. Especially once you have some automated killing machines. And even without it, it's still not that hard to get. I think on my last Sprout pack, I had 143 levels worth saved up and that was all manual kills.

So, I thought it was a neat idea at first, but I'm not sure it really brings anything to the table anyway.
Ah fair play :) sounds like you've got a good plan for it anyway!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I look at it a bit more logical (perhaps too logical, but, meh). If you were going to build a machine that could automine a different dimension, what would it take?

I assume we'll need power, high capacity power transfer, some heavy duty mining equipment, something to breach into the other dimension (RFTools Matter Transmitter/Receiver?), etc. It always makes me feel better when the crafting recipe actually feels like I'm assembling the parts to create something new, rather than just throwing crap on a table and making it magically transform into something barely related.

Edit: I realize that this only goes so far before non-reality takes precedence. It's a game, so I'm ok with wiggle room, and even some massive oversimplification is best for gameplay experience. Not to mention magic itself, and other game elements that are less defined (wtf is a Nether Star, and what does it really do?)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I look at it a bit more logical (perhaps too logical, but, meh). If you were going to build a machine that could automine a different dimension, what would it take?

I assume we'll need power, high capacity power transfer, some heavy duty mining equipment, something to breach into the other dimension (RFTools Matter Transmitter/Receiver?), etc. It always makes me feel better when the crafting recipe actually feels like I'm assembling the parts to create something new, rather than just throwing crap on a table and making it magically transform into something barely related.

Edit: I realize that this only goes so far before non-reality takes precedence. It's a game, so I'm ok with wiggle room, and even some massive oversimplification is best for gameplay experience. Not to mention magic itself, and other game elements that are less defined (wtf is a Nether Star, and what does it really do?)
I guess nether stars in the context they're often used are almost like crystallised power; they're often at the centre of something, whether it be a power core or a stabilised black hole, they seem to be foci. Likewise in magic, it is the main component of the focus of Warding, a powerful item that prevents blocks being broken.

I'm loving your ideas about building the ExU2 miner from a more thematically focussed standpoint!

Am I right in thinking its a centre block and 6 different outer blocks, like a full IC2 reactor? I'm wondering if there's something you could do along those lines - perhaps the 6 outer blocks pump the energy in required to punch a hole in dimensions, and the centre then has the power handling, mining equipment and so on?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm configuring now. Man, this pack is inspired.

I went with RTG along with BOP, tweaked the climate to adjust for global warming, found a seed so beautiful I was stunned. Hopefully my tweaking doesn't break that generation and I can keep it for the server. Worst case I can fly around in creative on single player, load all the chunks I need and import the world.

There's an official texture pack and pretty specific default settings. Faithful 32x, dramatic skys. Clouds off, custom sky, better foliage, trying out dynamic surroundings, optimized settings. Silky smoove. I have to edit the resource packs specifically for this. I either need to delete the water texture from dramatic skys or I need to delete the sun and moon from faithful. But, its amazing how well that combo all fits.

And, I went through and cut the mo creatures spawns right in half and it's picture perfect. I need to cut down on the other mob mods to match. It really feels like a really immersive works. This pack feels really inspired. And I think I came up with the perfect name:

I Live Here Now

I mean, right there under my nose. And it fits the theme so perfectly.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Speaking of Avaritia. I did find this during my false ban. https://www.reddit.com/r/Avaritia/comments/6dr7gx/singularity_ore_costings_mod_affects_on_costings/
A diamond singularity costs 2700 diamonds. You will never under any circumstances be able to mine that by hand.

Avaritia is there for something to do once you've basically built creative mode. Getting the quantum quarry is your gateway into avaritia.

This is not a pack to rush through. It's about immersion. It's the journey, not the destination. There's no rush.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Avaritia is there for something to do once you've basically built creative mode. Getting the quantum quarry is your gateway into avaritia.

This is not a pack to rush through. It's about immersion. It's the journey, not the destination. There's no rush.
I've argued with you about this. It went like this.
The Point.jpg

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I've argued with you about this. It went like this.
View attachment 35055

Dude, I assure you, you are literally the only one who does not understand what is going on in this thread. Just you. I promise. This was never an argument. You missed the point so thoroughly as to completely nullify any point you think you have. All I have done is try to help point that out to you so you can try to understand.

Also, your avatar is childish and you should be embarrassed by it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

This may or may not be the seed we use for our test run, but it's an example of the look this pack is going for. Definitely gonna have to cut down some of the spawns, like those centaurs, but the general idea is captured in that clip.

I just uploaded it, though, so you might want to wait for YouTube to process the HD version.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wcup0_LCXCQUbT5aa5VXihhTFAMtOEsa/view?usp=drivesdk

If anyone wants to try it out, here's what I'm running with for now. I've configured a lot, but I haven't changed any oregen or recipes yet. I will get to them eventually, but right now, it's open. Ultimately, the changes I made there will be subtle.

To install this, make a 1.10.2 custom profile on twitch. Run it once first and just exit. Then open the folder for that profile. Save the rar file there. Extract there. It should make you overwrite just a few mods.

When you create the world, select world type 'realistic'.

Graphics settings are all set high, so depending on your hardware, you may or may not need to adjust some settings. One that I don't think saves with default options is the shader. Don't worry, it's not that kind of shader. But, go to the video options, then shaders and select 'internal'. It runs faster for me at least, and that's where I turn on the AA.