Throwing together a quick pack to introduce a newbie

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
And I could use some help on what to throw in there. I'm going to teach him the basics on buildcraft, so this needs to be 1.11.2 (I think). I'm doing buildcraft because it's the one I cut my teeth on and it will give him a better appreciation for the newer stuff. That and I miss buildcraft and this is a great excuse to play with it again. Along with that, I want to put in all the standard mods like ExU2, chisels and bits, enderIO, etc.

Anyone know any other mods I should put in there? This is going to be a pretty temporary pack, I just want to give him a crash course.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
EnderIO isn't in 1.11.2 yet. So Buildcraft and EnderIO aren't an option without being in 1.7.
Thermal Expansion and its dependants/dependencies.
AE2 or RS but I prefer AE2.
Mekanism
IndustrialCraft obviously
Magic mods? Maybe Botania or Blood Magic.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
EnderIO isn't in 1.11.2 yet. So Buildcraft and EnderIO aren't an option without being in 1.7.

aw, crap. I had plans for both and it needs to be 1.10+ to record the replays, so I guess EnderIO is out. And there goes my ideas for a custom modpack I wanted to make anytime soon...

I think for most of what you're suggesting, I'm going to save those for when we move up to a modified Age of Engineering server (sadly without the buildcraft) after he's comfortable with the basic concepts. I'm just looking for some good basic examples of some stuff he can get into quickly to act as an appetizer for the real deal. Maybe it's not just mods I'm looking at but just general ideas. Jumping into modded minecraft late in the game is actually pretty overwhelming. This dude is very capable, but I wanna ease him in first.

I actually probably should throw in a token magic mod to balance the tech from buildcraft. For context, I am going to have him build a basic oil drill/refinery and a quarry running off of fuel engines, with pipes that sort the stuff it mines and that's about it for that side. What would be the best mogic based mod that we could get about that level of depth into to really get the idea here?

I'm saving Thaumcraft for when some hero updates it. I'm 100% done with 1.7 forever.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I would suggest starting with Industrial Engineering then since BC isn't available. Maybe add storage drawers for some basic storage sorting. Lastly maybe use Botania for the magic mod. I would skip IC2 or TechReborn for now since this a newbie to modded minecraft.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Or you could try a newer magic mod like Roots or Astral Sorcery. It would be cool for both you and him.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I would suggest starting with Industrial Engineering then since BC isn't available. Maybe add storage drawers for some basic storage sorting. Lastly maybe use Botania for the magic mod. I would skip IC2 or TechReborn for now since this a newbie to modded minecraft.

BC is *MY* cookie. That's the mod I'm basing the whole thing around. It's EnderIO that's out. But I do like the idea of mixing in Immersive Engineering (whether that's what you meant or if there's another mode called "industrial", lol). Storage drawers is probably not a bad idea, too, to show how there are different types of sorting (I was already going to throw in iron backpacks as well).

Botania, though, is that probably going to be the consensus magic mod? I have actually just never done a magic mod at all, so I am completely ignorant of it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Or you could try a newer magic mod like Roots or Astral Sorcery. It would be cool for both you and him.

I'm sure they would be cool, but I'd actually rather him learn on some of the more outdated stuff first so we can push them aside and appreciate the newer ones. That's part of why I'm making him do Buildcraft.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I just can't do it. I can't record, and I can't stand the performance drop.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Botania would be a good magic mod then to throw in. Its in game manual is very comprehensive. And addition since it is an older magic mod there is plenty of online resources about it. The only other one I would consider is Blood Magic or Thaumcraft. I know Thaumcraft is being worked on but I'm not sure if Blood Magic has been updated for 1.12. I know it was released for 1.10.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Personally, I'd go back to an old-school pack.

Buildcraft, IC2, Forestry, and a few IC2 addons. Then decide what else you want to put in the pack. Not sure what kind of magic-based mods are available in 1.11. Embers maybe?

I'd avoid Mekanism, personally.

Maybe the CoFH Suite, you could use CoFH World to do worldgen for all the ores and to make sure that you don't get six different types of Copper. To give him a compare and contrast between how IC2 does things and how almost everyone else does things. Also compare/contrast BC pipes vs Thermal Dynamics ducts.

Immersive Engineering could also be included, to give him a broad perspective on how different tech mods do things.

Pam's Harvestcraft and Cooking For Blockheads.

AE2, just to share with him the pain of meteors. Then after he gets all that set up, introduce him to RS.

Storage Drawers

Some kind of gravestone mod.

Reactions: Padfoote

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ducts win 10/10 times.
Of course they do, but that's not the point, not really. The point is to demonstrate this fact in a manner which is incontrovertible. Think of it like introducing your kid to the whole baking soda and vinegar volcano. You already know what is going to happen. But it's introducing it to the kid in an entertaining manner that is the important part.

"So yea, you like those pipe, eh? Cool. Here, try these ducts now."

And watch his expression as he is introduced to a fantastic new horizon. It's like seeing a child with his first telescope and actually seeing the storm on Jupiter for himself.
And I could use some help on what to throw in there. I'm going to teach him the basics on buildcraft, so this needs to be 1.11.2 (I think). I'm doing buildcraft because it's the one I cut my teeth on and it will give him a better appreciation for the newer stuff. That and I miss buildcraft and this is a great excuse to play with it again. Along with that, I want to put in all the standard mods like ExU2, chisels and bits, enderIO, etc.

Anyone know any other mods I should put in there? This is going to be a pretty temporary pack, I just want to give him a crash course.
I know in 1.12 there is Quantum storage.
OP asks for 1.11 mods, provide 1.12 mod. And multi-post. Good job.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yes, Shneekey gets what I'm trying to do here. The only difference is that I'm going to show him the other ducts when we move over to AoE+ (the + is my inevitable edits :p). I'm showing him the buildcraft stuff first so he can properly appreciate the difference.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yes, Shneekey gets what I'm trying to do here. The only difference is that I'm going to show him the other ducts when we move over to AoE+ (the + is my inevitable edits :p). I'm showing him the buildcraft stuff first so he can properly appreciate the difference.
You are a cruel, cruel person. Please, for the love of SCIENCE!!, document how he goes from vanilla to AoE+ and how he handles it. It's about like someone going from vanilla Factorio to going full Bob's Mods (including science) + Angel's Mods.

Reactions: Padfoote

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you can suffer 1.10.2, MJRLegends has Space Astronomy 2, which if it's anything like the first should be fantastic for teaching.

I know you're annoyed by 1.7, but Type1Ninja's Intro2Mods, had a fantastic selection of new player friendly mods. Stupendously light and a good basis for a 1.11.2 version.

I wouldn't be quite that harsh on AoE, it's pretty well put together if a bit... extended. Bob's+Angels is more like IC2 with GT5. 'I would like to hit myself in the head with a pick axe but I can't figure out how to make one!'

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
RFTools is a must for just about any pack, simply for all the cool gadgets it adds. I wouldn't go too in-depth with dimensions for a new player, but to each his own.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Based on what I'm seeing here. I have a pack for you, it has all the mods and then some. Things like TE, EnderIO, Actually Additions, Applied Energistics 2, Immersive Engineering/Petroleum. I put it together as a personal thing to see if I could somehow fill the Tier 8 Draconic Energy core.