Throwing together a quick pack to introduce a newbie

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The only mod I have in there that modifies the HUD is RPG-HUD and that is definitely not the culprit. I went through every setting, and when you change the whole HUD profile, like presets where everything changes, those potion icons stay right as they are. So, that's the problem. It's caused by a mod that isn't really necessarily known for HUD upgrades.

I thought it would be something like Quark, which has been disabled, or LIT or something, which is a another mod that's a bunch of little tweaks and fixes, but if it's that one, there's nothing in the config file that I can find.

If you can see the mods in the exported file, then the mod list on page 5 that I used for a reference is about 90% accurate.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That is a really nice mod list dude! :) It looks quite beefy, which is awesome, because there will be plenty to do. I've been doing some digging into Advanced Rocketry, and there are default systems and planets and stuff that can generate, and you can set some basic configs up for that, but you can also create very customised worlds if you wanted to - and even link certain dimensions to worlds! I'm not saying you should, I'm just saying you can :D

COFH suite - (do not misspell this in google from your work PC)

Dude, what did you write???

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Thanks! I like this list. It's got everything I want and minimal bloat and so far runs like a dream now that I'd weeded out a few eggs. It's a really immersive pack. Like Minecraft 1.3, so it's still the same basic premise of minecraft, like you wake up naked in a strange land and it's you vs nature, but it's a bigger, better looking world with all the modded stuff to keep you going. It's a great immersive survival/creative hybrid, IMO. And I'm having an absolute blast with it. So much so that I haven't updated anything in a while because I've been too busy playing :p

Edit: Minecraft 1.3 is a reference to Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3, which is a mod I used to be a part of. Basically it took the core feel of the game, made it hard enough for a veteran, made every item useful and added hundreds of hours of content

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Thanks! I like this list. It's got everything I want and minimal bloat and so far runs like a dream now that I'd weeded out a few eggs. It's a really immersive pack. Like Minecraft 1.3, so it's still the same basic premise of minecraft, like you wake up naked in a strange land and it's you vs nature, but it's a bigger, better looking world with all the modded stuff to keep you going. It's a great immersive survival/creative hybrid, IMO. And I'm having an absolute blast with it. So much so that I haven't updated anything in a while because I've been too busy playing :p
Nice! :) That's awesome. What were the bad eggs that you got rid of? Its useful to know what might be worth avoiding.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
So far, the one that hurt to lose the most was Quark. I had gone through and disabled all of the things that I didn't like, like the colored beds and the different chests for different wood types, but something about it keeps crashing the world. I'm still holding out hope that it was caused by importing a world that was built before I had the final mod list set and maybe I can re-introduce it some day. This one caused me some straight up crash loops, though. And not one crash since it was deleted.

Dungeon Tactics is the next most painful to lose. But it's not as big of a deal. Honestly, I just liked that it lets enemies drop hearts. The combat in this one can be a bit of an endurance match and the idea was to survive a major skirmish, you'd pretty much need life steal (which is in this pack) and those hearts to survive. This one isn't causing bugs, I just can't figure out how to disable the ore clusters that overwrite ore drops. If you don't fix that, then you lose any semblance of ore processing. Just load up on your fortune 3 and you're done. No choices = bad. I would like to reintroduce this one as well, if I can figure out that setting.

Grimoire of Gaia I disabled because while I wanted more mobs, these mobs were way stronger than the others. It had a nice touch, but it was out of balance. When I started this map, the first day, I died at least 50 times, no exaggeration. I was corpse camped by nagas and sirens (I think sirens, could be mixing my mythology). I *think* there's a way to push them out from the initial spawn point and can maybe add again, but honestly, not a big deal. There are plenty of mobs.

And the rest I disabled because they just didn't fit or didn't do what I thought it'd do. Nothing bad

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
So far, the one that hurt to lose the most was Quark. I had gone through and disabled all of the things that I didn't like, like the colored beds and the different chests for different wood types, but something about it keeps crashing the world. I'm still holding out hope that it was caused by importing a world that was built before I had the final mod list set and maybe I can re-introduce it some day. This one caused me some straight up crash loops, though. And not one crash since it was deleted.

Dungeon Tactics is the next most painful to lose. But it's not as big of a deal. Honestly, I just liked that it lets enemies drop hearts. The combat in this one can be a bit of an endurance match and the idea was to survive a major skirmish, you'd pretty much need life steal (which is in this pack) and those hearts to survive. This one isn't causing bugs, I just can't figure out how to disable the ore clusters that overwrite ore drops. If you don't fix that, then you lose any semblance of ore processing. Just load up on your fortune 3 and you're done. No choices = bad. I would like to reintroduce this one as well, if I can figure out that setting.

Grimoire of Gaia I disabled because while I wanted more mobs, these mobs were way stronger than the others. It had a nice touch, but it was out of balance. When I started this map, the first day, I died at least 50 times, no exaggeration. I was corpse camped by nagas and sirens (I think sirens, could be mixing my mythology). I *think* there's a way to push them out from the initial spawn point and can maybe add again, but honestly, not a big deal. There are plenty of mobs.

And the rest I disabled because they just didn't fit or didn't do what I thought it'd do. Nothing bad
Ah, OK - that's good to know, cheers @Drbretto :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh, this reminds me, when i start doing the "tweaking" mods, namely recipe tweaks, dungeon loot tweeks, etc. IS there a GUI for all that or is that all text editing? I did see one mod that looked like it was a GUI for changing the recipes at least.

I want to tweak all that, but I'm really not sure I want to do it by editing config files.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Welp, still can't figure out what mod is putting those things up on my screen..

But, I did manage to go down a rabbit hole and find about 6 or 7 more mods that I need to add.

Curious if anyone has used Hardcore Ender Expansion? I'd like some more flavor out there, but I just want to make sure it doesn't break the DE comets and hopefully doesn't make the Ender Dragon TOO hard. Though, I'll probably be the one doing the killing and I'm not a wuss like my people :p

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Welp, still can't figure out what mod is putting those things up on my screen..

But, I did manage to go down a rabbit hole and find about 6 or 7 more mods that I need to add.

Curious if anyone has used Hardcore Ender Expansion? I'd like some more flavor out there, but I just want to make sure it doesn't break the DE comets and hopefully doesn't make the Ender Dragon TOO hard. Though, I'll probably be the one doing the killing and I'm not a wuss like my people :p

I used it a while ago and didn’t have issues with it. Also didn’t use it with DE so I can’t speak to any possible impacts there.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That's enough answer. There's a config option to disallow other mods to generate stuff, and the default is false, so I think I can infer that it allows other things to generate, too.

Well, I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda guy, so I'm gonna try it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I tried looking up the mods I wasn’t familiar with and Curse decided it wasn’t having it. At this point my advice would be to deactivate half your mod list, test it in a creative world, reactive half of that if it went away, and keep going until you can find the one responsible.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That was the exact scenario I was hoping to avoid! lol

There may be a mod or two not on that list, too. I'd have to see the pack in front of me. It HAS to go, though, even if that means I need to swap them out one at a time.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
That was the exact scenario I was hoping to avoid! lol

There may be a mod or two not on that list, too. I'd have to see the pack in front of me. It HAS to go, though, even if that means I need to swap them out one at a time.
Eureka!

It's Dynamic Surroundings. It does a potion overhaul thing that can prevent the particles in favor of an icon which seems to be sitting over your armor thing. You can move the potion effects display around if you like in the config file, OR you can use the actual in-game edit options thing, since it is one of the few mods out there that actually does that.

Relevant bit of code:
##########################################################################################################
# potion hud
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# Options for the Potion HUD overlay
##########################################################################################################

"potion hud" {
# Disables Vanilla and Dynamic Surroundings potion HUD [default: false]
B:"No Potion HUD"=false

# Enable display of potion icons in display [default: true]
B:Enable=true

# Transparency factor for icons (higher more solid) [range: 0.0 ~ 1.0, default: 0.75]
S:Transparency=0.75

# Size scale of icons (lower is smaller) [range: 0.0 ~ 1.0, default: 0.75]
S:"Display Scale"=0.75

# Area of the display the Potion HUD is displayed (0 upper left, 1 upper right) [range: 0 ~ 1, default: 0]
I:"HUD Location"=0

# Offset from top of screen [range: 0 ~ 2147483647, default: 5]
I:"Vertical Offset"=5

# Offset from left side of screen [range: 0 ~ 2147483647, default: 5]
I:"Horizontal Offset"=5
}

}

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yesss!! Thank you!

So, what you're saying is, it's all your fault for making me use Dynamic Surroundings :p

Oh, it's going to be so awesome not seeing that anymore.

There should be a rule where I can give more than one like for a post, lol

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
You briefly mentioned loot tables...

Not sure of an easy way to do it, but custom loot tables, particularly for exploration reward, is somewhere I think most packs drop the ball. Even Sprout, as adventure based as it was, felt like the structure loot tables were very underwhelming. I'm curious if that's something you've given thought to, and if so, how do you balance it?

For instance, if you're just getting started, a blacksmith chest in a village can give you a decent step in the right direction by offering you a chance at some decent armor, free early game steel, and a few other things that can make life easier until you get a proper camp set up. However, later, an ingot is just one more thing for your storage system and that once appreciated armor is now just scrap or decoration. What's the thought process on making chests worth exploring for (both early game, and once you have settled in), while not offering such powerful prizes to make setting up actual tech trees unimportant. What items should spawn in your expansive array of complexes, and what level of stuff should be left out of reach?

Obviously, diamonds are always welcome, and in a pack with delayed automining, it might be a boon worth risk. I'm always a fan of free steel, mostly because it involves a time component (for most mods), and it only takes a piece or two to get into a few important parts (windmills from IE come to mind). Gold can be hard to acquire sometimes, and having a chance to loot a stronghold for gold seems fitting. Things like books and pistons are surprisingly welcome to me, as I never seem to have one in stock when I need one (usually for a crafting recipe).

Things like RFTools Machine Bases are on the boarder line for me. While not an actual machine, it saves some crafting steps and saves the storage space of offering the components individually. It would promote delving into the mod, but not pigeonhole the player due to the choice of what to make with it. On the other hand, what other good uses does Lapis have, aside from a little enchanting? It's not much of a gate once you find some, and you're going to be mining in those levels anyway.

I would love to hear thoughts on the topic.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I have given some basic thought to it, but nothing specific yet. This is why I kind of wish there was a GUI for this stuff because it's a lot easier for me to just sit down, see what options I have and put it together. Right now, it's tough because I don't know what kind of control I have.

But, there are two categories of things I'm happiest to find. First, the common to rare resource that you can't get enough of. I think my favorite find ever was a stack of like 30 wood casings from and AA hut in a village. It seems like a ridiculous thing, but those wood casings are just pain in the ass enough not to bother making storage crates, but once that's there, I almost felt obligated to make them, and once you have them, they're quite nice for dealing with random junk. Also, I like things like running into diamonds and especially emeralds in dragon's nests.

And, then, I like running into things that you can only get in chests. So, things like EnderIO capacitors. You can find a dozen of them and they're all different.

I'd like to funnel things like the heart containers into something else, too. As soon as I build a mob grinder, I'll end up being immortal in a hurry. There are several enchanted books that could be find-only. Stuff like that. I haven't really gone through and thought about the individual things yet. And agian, that's why I might not ever change anything without a gui. I would need to know exactly what I want to do first, as opposed to being able to look down a loot list and going "oh, that one should totally be in these kinds of chests" etc.

Edit: I don't mind changing a few important recipes via config files if I had to, though. But that would be only a precious few things, like the stuff about the angel ring and quantum quarry we talked about earlier.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'd suggest tweaking tables so stuff spawns in different places. There's no reason for say a Blacksmith to have Dark Steel, but an Immersive Engineering house might have some. (Because the Arc Furnace can make Dark Steel) Limit Steel to IE houses, while more basic things like copper and bronze would be okay in the Blacksmith.

Essentially you want things that as you said, are a pain to craft, that don't become totally useless later. The Ender Eye things from Super Circuit Maker for example, aren't excessively expensive, but pearls are valuable pre-end, and depending on the recipe range from not very expensive to extremely. (I saw one recipe that needed 8 obsidian and gave one result. I don't recommend that hard mode.)