Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Botania's mana spreaders kind of irk me. Playing departed, set up botania's portal to Alfheim with mana pools and all. I've got one mana pool that feeds into the two for the portal with two mana spreaders, one shooting into each of the two pools for the portal. For some reason, only the left pool is being filled. I thought it would be random as to which spreader pulled the mana, but with one pool being full before the other even starts to fill, this doesn't seem the case. It's kind of annoying having to rework your production network to make up for this.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Botania's mana spreaders kind of irk me. Playing departed, set up botania's portal to Alfheim with mana pools and all. I've got one mana pool that feeds into the two for the portal with two mana spreaders, one shooting into each of the two pools for the portal. For some reason, only the left pool is being filled. I thought it would be random as to which spreader pulled the mana, but with one pool being full before the other even starts to fill, this doesn't seem the case. It's kind of annoying having to rework your production network to make up for this.
You could always use a redstone mana spreader to move some mana from the full pool to the empty one until they're about even. :)

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019

That's why there's a spreader turntable for that kind of stuff. Sparks also might work for the portal's mana pools without augments, maybe. Normally mana pools with sparks won't pull mana from other pools with sparks but maybe the pyloned pools are different in that. Haven't tried it myself, though.

What I am doing is I have two different sets of generating flowers feeding into the pools separately and I'm using the feature of one spreader taking all the mana it can to fill the portal's pools first and other spreaders fill overflow pools.

You could always use a redstone mana spreader to move some mana from the full pool to the empty one until they're about even. :)

And that's also a thing, you could use comparators to check if the portal's mana pools need more mana and have redstone spreaders to your overflow turn off.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I can set up an easy timer that just makes them fire one back and forth. I'll probably just do that.

That's why there's a spreader turntable for that kind of stuff. Sparks also might work for the portal's mana pools without augments, maybe. Normally mana pools with sparks won't pull mana from other pools with sparks but maybe the pyloned pools are different in that. Haven't tried it myself, though.

What I am doing is I have two different sets of generating flowers feeding into the pools separately and I'm using the feature of one spreader taking all the mana it can to fill the portal's pools first and other spreaders fill overflow pools.

And that's also a thing, you could use comparators to check if the portal's mana pools need more mana and have redstone spreaders to your overflow turn off.

I very much dislike redstone timings. Project Red type stuff that lets you set a timing with a gui is very nice. Unfortunately, there's nothing like that in departed.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I can set up an easy timer that just makes them fire one back and forth. I'll probably just do that.

I very much dislike redstone timings. Project Red type stuff that lets you set a timing with a gui is very nice. Unfortunately, there's nothing like that in departed.
You don't need any timing if you use the redstone spreaders. The comparator does the checking for you. Just have a line come off of the comparator on the portal pool that turns the signal off for the overflow spreader when the pool isn't full so that a regular spreader on the same pool can fill up the portal's pool.

But if you already have a portal up and running you should just toss in a few mana pearls and get pixie dust to make the spark augments. Put dominant sparks on the portal pools and have multiple pools for mana storage with unaugmented sparks. Then have your mana generation go into mana pools (just one pool is enough if you can get all the spreaders shoot into it) that have recessive sparks so the storage pulls from them. Sparks have 12 block range but dominant sparks do not need to reach recessive sparks.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need any timing if you use the redstone spreaders. The comparator does the checking for you. Just have a line come off of the comparator on the portal pool that turns the signal off for the overflow spreader when the pool isn't full so that a regular spreader on the same pool can fill up the portal's pool.

But if you already have a portal up and running you should just toss in a few mana pearls and get pixie dust to make the spark augments. Put dominant sparks on the portal pools and have multiple pools for mana storage with unaugmented sparks. Then have your mana generation go into mana pools (just one pool is enough if you can get all the spreaders shoot into it) that have recessive sparks so the storage pulls from them. Sparks have 12 block range but dominant sparks do not need to reach recessive sparks.
Yeah. I was saying that i'd end up using the redstone ones because the turn table would require timing to make it point in the right direction at the right time. I'll probably just skip all that though. The sparks are just better. I just need to play around with them and see how they work. I've got three pools with sparks on them but they don't seem to share mana, so i just avoided jumping straight to using them.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. I was saying that i'd end up using the redstone ones because the turn table would require timing to make it point in the right direction at the right time. I'll probably just skip all that though. The sparks are just better. I just need to play around with them and see how they work. I've got three pools with sparks on them but they don't seem to share mana, so i just avoided jumping straight to using them.
Well, if you only need to evenly spread mana you don't really have to time the turntable.

But yes, sparks are the way to go. They won't do much without augments, though. The only use without augments is to put them on terrestrial agglomeration plane and mana enchanter so they pull from pools with sparks. Pools with sparks don't share mana between themselves without augments. With augments mana will go recessive -> unaugmented/dispersive -> dominant. Each step shares mana equally fast and having a large buffer of unaugmented spark pools is the best way.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
Before you throw out all the wood tools, remember that wood swords are a real thing.

Training tool or not, they still hurt.

This is something that irks me about modded TiC. Removing the ability to make wood swords, and forcing you to either use a flint axe or mattock, or pour metals for a sword. (No, I don't know how much of that was Jaded's, and how much of that was Iguana.)

(And why does a flint mattock with both heads flint do as much damage as a flint sword anyways?)
I've seen wooden shovels and hoes irl too.

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
and wood can be uses for cracking rock it's just a slow and very difficult process and more like a chisel than a pick
so have a hammer like tool that uses up sticks with every block broken

Last edited:

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
I explained it a bit above there but most mods won't ignore metadata in anything. The only thing I've really seen is Thermal Dynamics filtering. There's mod sorting pipe in ExU but that's different again. If I just want vague filters that still don't include absolutely all items in a mod I have to use itemducts.

BuildCraft ignores metadata in items which don't have subtypes, like pickaxes but unlike dusts. Lists also allow ore dictionary-based sorting nowadays, though they will undergo a rewrite.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Steve cart's having amazing stuff inside the mod, but the recipes are so annoying i can't be bothered. Its weird because i play gregtech just fine.
In my modpack I made all the recipes significantly easier and made the creative cart assembler craftable. :)
No IC2 or Gregtech, though; it's supposed to be an easy, RF-based pack, so if that isn't your cup of digital tea then don't bother. :p

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
It irks me a little when people judge my choices in tech trees. I'm working on an aestetic build atm. It requires very basic blocks. Stone, purple fantasy block, chiseled wood, thick glass... etc. Not a very tech heavy need. I'm not really in any rush to the top of the tech tree. I have very little automated except the blocks that I'm using for building. My overworld base is sparse. I have my automated cake farm, my cake eating flowers, and all my other botania stuff. I have my thaumcraft area with infusion altar, alchemy, mystcraft area with my books and ink farm, and my tier 4 blood alter. Not very tech heavy but I didn't feel like going that way. I'm enjoying playing how I want to play. Of course I don't have a big reactor so I have no valid power production. My little 64x lava gens with my mystcraft lava world don't put out that much... I don't have automated AE production. Of course I don't have but enough random items to fill but maybe 8 chests. I do have caches setup for my mob farm but they're all labeled and working well. I have 2 ender quarries that are currently not running because I don't want them to. I turn them on when I need something. one is in the nether the other is in the mining age. I'm hoping to finish the build I'm currently working on within the next 2 weeks. hehe

There's another player on the server that plays the same way. Others have offered to give him boosts in tech but he's declined. He prefers to explore some of the simpler aspects of the game and he enjoys it. I say let everyone enjoy the game as they will.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I hate how the Sky Stone Chect is 2 pixels wider than all the other chests... It just doesn't fit in my chest room. :(
It is?...I never payed attention to that.
I mostly dislike how it has absolutely no mousewheel support. It makes getting a handful of items out of it more annoying than it has to be.
This.
Also, I hate how long it takes to break ^^

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Well at least you can always open it even when it is obstructed, and you can rotate it in every direction. So it got that going for it, which is nice ^^

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
NEI displaying two different types of tin gears. Not at the same time -- you ask for the recipe for a tin gear by clicking on it, you see the recipe only for the one form you clicked on.

... Or, only displaying one form of induction smelter on the right side, and changing the contents in the recipe display without really making it clear that they are generating different types of induction smelters.

There's probably other items/devices where this happens. This is just the first place I've seen it.