Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
How, in Pathfinder, at least, most Thermal Expansion machines can be crafted with any oredict gears, but a few only work with Thermal Foundation gears.

It's mainly annoying when another mod (Clockwork Phase in this case) adds a slightly cheaper recipe for copper gears, say, but then when I try to craft the machine, it doesn't work.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
How, in Pathfinder, at least, most Thermal Expansion machines can be crafted with any oredict gears, but a few only work with Thermal Foundation gears.

It's mainly annoying when another mod (Clockwork Phase in this case) adds a slightly cheaper recipe for copper gears, say, but then when I try to craft the machine, it doesn't work.
Probably the result of minetweakering and not using the ore dictionary for gears in recipes.
I was playing Running Red once and it had all sorts of Minetweaker problems, e.g. I could only use one type of copper for fluiducts and many recipes that would make sense to be shapeless weren't, so I had to remember the exact configuration.
@Gideonseymour please :p

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
1. That forge does not have any sort of "new metal standards".
2. That every mod that wants to define tin or bronze or ... does it slightly differently.
3. That there are still cases where the wrong mod's metal won't work.
4. That there is no default "unity" concept of the different-but-same metals.
5. That NEI can not display a generic "ore dict representation of X", but has to cycle through every type of X.
6. That NEI can not display all the recipes for all ore-dict compatible versions of X at the same time, but rather only displays the recipe for the specific version of X that you looked at ... ("tin gear", etc)
7. That NEI will list one thing on the right-side list of items (say, a resonant version of the induction smelter), and alter the ingredients in the recipe displayed, but suddenly they are NOT ore-dict compatible, and if you don't know this, and don't watch what you are doing, you are trying to make the parts for an advanced form of a machine block that you did not even realize, and went to all sorts of problems trying to make before you discover this.

GAARRR.

Yes, my first time making anything in forestry. GRR. Need invar to make an induction smelter. Need an induction smelter to make invar. GARRRR. Alloy smelter. Different types of that center block. Different types of gears. Different types of tin. Different types of bronze. GAARRRR.

EDIT:
1. What the heck is "invar" anyways?
2. Why require bronze, anyways?
3. Why "artificially" (at least, that's how it seems) restrict access to parts of the mod based on mod specific metals? At least Reika's steel makes sense.

1. Wikipedia: Invar, also known generically as FeNi36 (64FeNi in the US), is a nickel–iron alloy notable for its uniquely low coefficient of thermal expansion.

Ok, so an alloy extremely resistant to changes in shape/size from temperature. Fine. Why require a special furnace to make it normally?

Last edited:
Reactions: immibis

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so an alloy extremely resistant to changes in shape/size from temperature. Fine. Why require a special furnace to make it normally?
The induction smelter is a special furnace in that it alloys metals without mixing the dusts and smelting them. You can mix iron and nickel dusts to get invar dust and smelt that normally.

Reactions: RedBoss

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
... and where does NEI show that recipe? :) (Serious).

I wound up taking a guess, and mixing it in the TiCon smeltery, and thinking "Yea! Thank who-ever added that".

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
... and where does NEI show that recipe? :) (Serious).

I wound up taking a guess, and mixing it in the TiCon smeltery, and thinking "Yea! Thank who-ever added that".
If you just looked through the recipes for invar ingot you would have found regular furnace recipe and powered furnace recipe to smelt invar blend and so you would check how to make that invar blend and then check how you make pulverized iron or ferrous and you get that you need a pulverizer.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I find it annoying that when you look up recipes for machines like the fluid transposer or the induction smelter, you will get a bunch of generic and uninteresting recipes (like sand + various dusts, or filling florbs with various fluids) while the "real" recipes like Snowball -> Blizz powder are buried somewhere in this mess.

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The way my inventory constantly re-sorts itself no matter what i'm doing, in every modpack i play - that's what irks me most. People have told me the solution but I always forget what it is, and always forget to fix this most irksome of annoyances when I play. I've been manually re-sorting my inventory over and over every day for a long, long time. Enough! I'm sick of fighting this constant war against whatever mod is doing this!

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
This less Minecraft/Computercraft and more LUA, but as a programmer it drives me absolutely insane that indices start at 1 instead of 0.
There is acctually a reason why lua-script starts at 1.
Lua is descended from Sol, a language designed for petroleum engineers with no formal training in computer programming. People not trained in computing think it is damned weird to start counting at zero. By adopting 1-based array and string indexing, the Lua designers avoided confounding the expectations of their first clients and sponsors.

Reactions: rhn

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
The way my inventory constantly re-sorts itself no matter what i'm doing, in every modpack i play - that's what irks me most. People have told me the solution but I always forget what it is, and always forget to fix this most irksome of annoyances when I play. I've been manually re-sorting my inventory over and over every day for a long, long time. Enough! I'm sick of fighting this constant war against whatever mod is doing this!

Inventory Tweaks. The original key bind to sort is R and clicking the mouse wheel.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Things about TiC smeltery that irk me:

* "tinkers alloy". ffs.
* "seared stone" - how exactly does melting [cobble]stone not result in lava, which should cool into obsidian or combine with water to produce stone/cobble stone?

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Inventory Tweaks. The original key bind to sort is R and clicking the mouse wheel.
Yeah... How do you disable that behavior entirely? I have the exact same issue, and while I know it's because of Inventory Tweaks (which I otherwise cannot live without), I don't know how to fix it. I used to be able to change the shortcut, but that ability appears to be gone. :(

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah... How do you disable that behavior entirely? I have the exact same issue, and while I know it's because of Inventory Tweaks (which I otherwise cannot live without), I don't know how to fix it. I used to be able to change the shortcut, but that ability appears to be gone. :(
The keybind is in the controls settings of the main menu. If you set it to Esc it won't bother you anymore. Also open up the inventory tweaks options with the ''' button in your inventory and turn off sorting on middle click if you don't want to sort your inventory at all. Another option I recommend turning off is the auto refill because it "refills" emptied stacks with unrelated items from the same mod because it thinks you broke a tool and refills the slot with another item with the same main ID but different metadata. THAT irks me so much. Also makes it impossible to split stacks to only use a certain amount on your hotbar.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
My biggest problem with modded minecraft or a bit more specific computercraft
I begin with:
Oh this should be easy to code lets do it

I end with:
This is the only script you will ever need

or in other words
It was only supposed to do one job that was easy to write but of course I had to spend hours giving it more uses >_>

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
well that's Thermal Foundation. Yeah, it sucks that you can't find it when searching for "bronze" in an AE system.
Also "shiny" and "mana infused", although mana infused isn't a thing that's actually used yet. They're still called platinum and mithril internally and "tinker's alloy" in bronze internally, too.