Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
To build something with redstone and pistons you need to visit the chunk, and then visit it again later. So you are saying that dungeon generation code *always* runs, and can this retroactively place dungeons if you identify the potential spawn location and set it up to qualify on a revisit?

I need to see more info on this.
You use pistons from a long distance to push blocks into the chunk before it populates.

Minecraft chunks generate in two stages - in the first stage, the basic terrain is created. In the second stage, ore veins, trees, dungeons, and so on (that might span across chunks) are generated. The second stage only runs once the first stage has run for all adjacent chunks - otherwise, things like trees might be cut off on chunk borders.

For dungeons, the second stage chooses some random locations (based on the world seed and chunk position), and checks if each of them meets the prerequisites for a dungeon. If so, it generates the dungeon. It's rare for a chosen location to meet the prerequisites. The prerequisites are things like having stone in the right locations, and being connected to a cave.

It's possible to push blocks a long distance with extensive use of pistons, and push blocks into a first-stage-generated chunk. You can arrange so that all of that chunk's potential dungeon locations fulfil the prerequisites before the second stage runs. Then when the second stage runs, it generates dungeons there (because the prerequisites are met).

Reactions: lenscas

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I can imagine that being difficult to achieve, and basically impossible if you haven't already created a map with the same seed and looked at which modifications you need to do.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I can imagine that being difficult to achieve, and basically impossible if you haven't already created a map with the same seed and looked at which modifications you need to do.
That is why there are tools that use the seed to check where they have a chance to spawn. However I doubt it works in modded minecraft.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
More to the point, a piston only pushes 12 blocks, and chunks are decorated at roughly 9 chunks of distance. So how can you get that far out?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
redstone blocks can be pushed, you need two rows of pistons cobble and redstone blocks

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
redstone blocks can be pushed, you need two rows of pistons cobble and redstone blocks

For the folks who are confused on how to do this... There is a tutorial (a bit long) that shows you how to set up the contraption to generate dungeons here

Not sure if it still works, but it's a long process that forces blocks to keep extending out, and with some minecraft voodoo it makes dungeons....

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
Two things;
1. I wanted to replace all 46 of the known (to me) Jars that hold Essentia into Void Jars. There's no 'If you have Essentia already in the jar, you can make this' crafting option. So I had to make 12 jars, and use the Essentia Funnel and a Hopper to move it to the Void Jars, and now I'm stuck with 12 regular, empty jars...

2. Trying to make a Harvester for my near future Remote Tree Farm. I got everything but Shears. Got some in my AE2 Network that have some wear, yet are still good. Tried to pop it in and it refuses to craft. Wow. Just wow. Apparently it has to be completely void of damage to work.
So I have to make another pair of shears. Just great.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
2. Trying to make a Harvester for my near future Remote Tree Farm. I got everything but Shears. Got some in my AE2 Network that have some wear, yet are still good. Tried to pop it in and it refuses to craft. Wow. Just wow. Apparently it has to be completely void of damage to work.
So I have to make another pair of shears. Just great.
If you're really that conserned about wasting 2 iron ingots you could save one by repairing the damaged shears on an anvil with one ingot if it wasn't too damaged.

Reactions: Mindfeak926 and rhn

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
If you're really that conserned about wasting 2 iron ingots you could save one by repairing the damaged shears on an anvil with one ingot if it wasn't too damaged.
I wasn't concerned about wasting Iron to repair it. It just felt.. you know. Like it isn't good enough. That it can't even have a scratch on it to be considered useful to make one.
I could only image this being real life. One little chip and the item would be unusable in making something. Just the principle in that.

Yea, the whole "any tool used in crafting must be perfect, yet the output has no concept of wear" idea ...
This guy gets it. :)

TheEpic5

Jul 29, 2019
AoA:
Diamond is hard AF to find. You need some mid-game botania setup to get terra/manasteel.
Then limonite is really easy to find, and it's diamond tier!
Much less I can't find the other ores!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I wasn't concerned about wasting Iron to repair it. It just felt.. you know. Like it isn't good enough. That it can't even have a scratch on it to be considered useful to make one.
I could only image this being real life. One little chip and the item would be unusable in making something. Just the principle in that.

This guy gets it. :)
It is a matter of registering recipes. A pristine tool is a completely different item than a tool that have taken damage. And tools that have taken different amounts of damage have different item values. To not UTTERLY clog up the NEI with GAZILLIONS of damage combinations, only the pristine tools are registered. It is that or have to browse through page upon page of broken tool recipes.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
It is a matter of registering recipes. A pristine tool is a completely different item than a tool that have taken damage. And tools that have taken different amounts of damage have different item values. To not UTTERLY clog up the NEI with GAZILLIONS of damage combinations, only the pristine tools are registered. It is that or have to browse through page upon page of broken tool recipes.
Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that the wildcared character (*) is extremely useful when making recipes involving tools... I may be wrong, of course. :p

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You know, vanilla Minecraft already established this concept of only pristine tools allowed in recipes with the dispenser so it's not like mods are just being annoying for no reason.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that the wildcared character (*) is extremely useful when making recipes involving tools... I may be wrong, of course. :p
I am not certain about anything. :p

But that might fix the issue of all the different damage values. But fairly sure that a pristine tool is a completely different item value than a damage one. At least many tools are that way.
Caused a lot of frustrations trying to automate stuff with ME due to that. Or in some situations been able to exploit it :p