Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Harvestability, and all the addons, stick so much useless text below the image...
Like light level... when will I need that, when there's CodeChickenCore?
Effective tool? If you don't know whether stone/ores need a pickaxe, then you shouldn't be playing modded MC!
Hey, I like the WAILA Harvestability stuff... XD
I just find it overall useful. It helps to confirm what I think about what a certain block is; that's especially useful for stuff that isn't immediately obvious as being one material type or another, like, say, Twilight Forest's Liveroot. Plus WAILA in general is really useful for a lot of machines, and stuff like Barrels. :p

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Harvestability, and all the addons, stick so much useless text below the image...
Like light level... when will I need that, when there's CodeChickenCore?
Effective tool? If you don't know whether stone/ores need a pickaxe, then you shouldn't be playing modded MC!
I actually check harvestability to see if I need shears for something or if a modded block needs pickaxe to mine properly. Light level is somewhat unnecessary I admit. Effective tool is useful for the machines, cables, tanks, etc.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I actually check harvestability to see if I need shears for something or if a modded block needs pickaxe to mine properly. Light level is somewhat unnecessary I admit. Effective tool is useful for the machines, cables, tanks, etc.
Machines, cables, tanks, etc. are usually either wrench or pickaxe... and if you have machines, you are most likely using the right level pickaxe :p

But I see it useful in some cases, but the defaults, especially in FTB packs, are obnoxious, and the first few minutes in a pack are spent disabling all the BS that is useless

Reactions: RedBoss

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Machines, cables, tanks, etc. are usually either wrench or pickaxe... and if you have machines, you are most likely using the right level pickaxe :p

But I see it useful in some cases, but the defaults, especially in FTB packs, are obnoxious, and the first few minutes in a pack are spent disabling all the BS that is useless
Meh. Not useless. It's a handy thing to have when you need it; depending on your monitor, it isn't *that* intrusive when you don't.

Reactions: Zelfana

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019

Well I mean, it can tell you if you actually need a pickaxe or not so I don't have to get one on my bar if it isn't needed.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Meh. Not useless. It's a handy thing to have when you need it; depending on your monitor, it isn't *that* intrusive when you don't.
Unless you have small GUI on a large monitor, it takes up too much room.
I mean, I don't notice it when it is just default WAILA, but add all the plugins, every time you change blocks (that you look at) you can TELL it's there

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The constant flickering/updating really got on my tits for the short time I had it enabled- In comparison Reika's update banner is far less annoying. And takes up less of the screen too. :D

While I see why people like it, and I think it's a brilliant tool to aid development and debugging.
But when it comes to actual gameplay I find it's far more fun and immersive to learn through playing, and understanding the world through the interactive experiences, rather than have something dictate everything to you. It honestly feels like watching a film with someone feeding you spoilers throughout.​

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
It's handy for reading values without opening GUIs, or for identifying blocks or entities that you haven't seen before.
Well it can easily be toggled if need be.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I actually have one problem with WAILA. Looking at gravel makes it flicker the silk touch icon constantly. Is there any way to turn that off for just gravel?

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you have small GUI on a large monitor, it takes up too much room.
I mean, I don't notice it when it is just default WAILA, but add all the plugins, every time you change blocks (that you look at) you can TELL it's there
I disagree. I have a 1920x1080 monitor and my GUI is set to large; I have plenty of space for WAILA and everything else. Perhaps that's just a perspective thing.
The constant flickering/updating really got on my tits for the short time I had it enabled- In comparison Reika's update banner is far less annoying. And takes up less of the screen too. :D

While I see why people like it, and I think it's a brilliant tool to aid development and debugging.
But when it comes to actual gameplay I find it's far more fun and immersive to learn through playing, and understanding the world through the interactive experiences, rather than have something dictate everything to you. It honestly feels like watching a film with someone feeding you spoilers throughout.​
Well, maybe I like that playstyle. I'm a wiki-reader, through and through; before downloading or playing with a mod, I find every scrap of information I can. If you don't play that way, that's fine, but don't act like every single person enjoys stumbling around being confused about mods. :cool:
It's handy for reading values without opening GUIs, or for identifying blocks or entities that you haven't seen before.
Well it can easily be toggled if need be.
Exactly. The functionality is handy for having to open fewer GUIs in the long run.

If you don't like it, disable it.
(Yes, I am mildly annoyed that you are pressing the point that WAILA Harvestability is this terrible plague that nobody enjoys. It wouldn't be in modpacks if nobody liked it; accept that other viewpoints exist :mad:)

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
(Yes, I am mildly annoyed that you are pressing the point that WAILA Harvestability is this terrible plague that nobody enjoys. It wouldn't be in modpacks if nobody liked it; accept that other viewpoints exist :mad:)
People have different viewpoints? MY LIFE IS A LIE!

I am not saying NOBODY likes it. I am just saying that it seems like the sorta thing that is aimed at new players, especially in packs like Infinity where there isn't any change in what can harvest what, and all the mods are "common". And when something is aimed at newbies, I feel it should be disabled by default, as the majority of players AREN'T newbies.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
People have different viewpoints? MY LIFE IS A LIE!

I am not saying NOBODY likes it. I am just saying that it seems like the sorta thing that is aimed at new players, especially in packs like Infinity where there isn't any change in what can harvest what, and all the mods are "common". And when something is aimed at newbies, I feel it should be disabled by default, as the majority of players AREN'T newbies.

The new ones are also the least likely to know how to enable it, while those who know their way around like us are able to easily disable it.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Well, maybe I like that playstyle. I'm a wiki-reader, through and through; before downloading or playing with a mod, I find every scrap of information I can. If you don't play that way, that's fine, but don't act like every single person enjoys stumbling around being confused about mods. :cool:

Did you miss the part where I said that I can see why others like it? :p

I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to load the entire pack, close MC, adjust the modlist and then reload the game. For each update.
(download pack/update, then the option NOT to launch would be quite nice)

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Did you miss the part where I said that I can see why others like it?
Sorry, I glazed over it to the bit where you described the it like so:
...It honestly feels like watching a film with someone feeding you spoilers throughout.
which irritated me enough to ignore the "I see why others like it." It didn't have enough smilies for me to reasonably assume it was meant to be an exaggeration, so I responded (perhaps a bit overreactive myself).

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to load the entire pack, close MC, adjust the modlist and then reload the game. For each update.
(download pack/update, then the option NOT to launch would be quite nice)
That's more of a fault of the launcher which should have been remedied ages ago. You can still kill Minecraft when it has downloaded the mods and is trying to start to get around having to launch.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
The new fishing system.

You get results at the same rate, but most of the results are junk.
You see bubbles / particles as the fish are about to nibble, even if you are getting junk. (How does a stick, or a boot, make nibbles?)
The change to having particles before means you can no longer just hold down right-click for an auto-fishing.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
The new fishing system.

You get results at the same rate, but most of the results are junk.
You see bubbles / particles as the fish are about to nibble, even if you are getting junk. (How does a stick, or a boot, make nibbles?)
The change to having particles before means you can no longer just hold down right-click for an auto-fishing.
The bubbles are from the invisible scuba diver putting junk on your line :p

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
What irks me? I played sky factory (yes I know not ftb) for a long time and never could get squids to spawn. Only water in the whole world and not once did a freaking squid spawn in it. Playing DW20 in an underwater base I can't get them to stop. :( I wish there was a magnum torch (cheaper recipe) that worked on passive mobs... wait adding that to the things I could add to a mod

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
What irks me? I played sky factory (yes I know not ftb) for a long time and never could get squids to spawn. Only water in the whole world and not once did a freaking squid spawn in it. Playing DW20 in an underwater base I can't get them to stop. :( I wish there was a magnum torch (cheaper recipe) that worked on passive mobs... wait adding that to the things I could add to a mod
Squids naturally spawn in water between Y-level 63 and 46. If you want to create a vanilla squid farm all you need to do is place water in that range. If you dont want the to spawn, make sure your water feature is above or below that :p

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
What irks me? Right now, it's loosing a world to a glitch caused by a power outage..... Yeah I could go with a backup, but damn, it sucks :)