Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Aeslehc

Jul 29, 2019
Swag is actually a really old word: "Slang originating in the early 1800s for stolen goods or booty"
Indeed, you used to see it (perhaps you still do) in comics and cartoons written on the bags of people escaping with ill gotten gains. I've also used the word swag to mean the stuff collected for free from someone wish to promote something. But it didn't mean anything to me when all capitalised. YOLO capitalised or not through, still remains meaningless to me.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Indeed, you used to see it (perhaps you still do) in comics and cartoons written on the bags of people escaping with ill gotten gains. I've also used the word swag to mean the stuff collected for free from someone wish to promote something. But it didn't mean anything to me when all capitalised. YOLO capitalised or not through, still remains meaningless to me.
Just look it up on urban dictionary. You might need a little eye bleach afterwards.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
I use swag the same way, lol. I grew up in a nautical area so I learned the word while being exposed to pirate lore. ;)
YOLO stands for "You Only Live Once" and is usually being used as an excuse for stupid or jerkish behavior. I think this quote sums it up best:
tumblr_m4vgrsPFBa1qcgu81o1_500.jpg

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
This discussion is really offtopic as it has nothing to do with Minecraft.

But personally I have nothing against language evolving, but cant stand it being miss used and abused. And I think there is nothing wrong with trying to preserve what we have while adding to it.

A great example of it is the Danish saying: "Bjørne tjeneste". Translates directly into "Bears favour". It originally means doing someone a favour(probably from good intentions) but ultimately causing them harm. But because because a portion of people are ignorant and thought it was doing someone a good favour, it is now registered in the dictionary as both!.... /facepalm
So now the saying is IMO ruined because any time you want to use it, you also have to spend time explaining which of the two opposite meaning version you actually mean.

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
I hate how when you have a large modpack, there are so many bindings and a whole bunch of them conflict with each other (so there might be three commands bound to F, four to Z, etc.). If you want to use everything you have to throw them all on different keys and then you forget the keys for everything that you don't use frequently.

Some things are mutually exclusive, though. For example, you're not going to be using the Gravi Fly toggle and Simply Jetpacks engine toggle at the same time so you can intuitively leave both of them on F. Which brings me to another thing I hate. You'd think it would be perfect to put similar commands that only one will ever be valid at a time on the same key. However, it doesn't work. You put multiple things on one key and most likely they won't work at all. So you end up having to go into the options and unbinding the keys for everything you're not using at the time and then go back into the options every time you switch (if you switch frequently then you end up having to put them on two separate keys).

Some other things:
  • When you're trying to attack a mob and your sword connects with tall grass.
  • When chunks don't load on your client.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
The way vanilla double chests act like they're two separate inventories. In fact, the whole double chest mechanic, period. It's way more trouble than it's worth.

Reactions: Type1Ninja and ljfa

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
I hate how when you have a large modpack, there are so many bindings and a whole bunch of them conflict with each other...

Building off of this, the fact that I have an odd vanilla binding, so I have to screw with everything just so I'm comfortable walking around at the start of the game.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of keybinds; I have my sneak key on the mouse. Works fine and all but for some bizarre reason the enchant book tooltip uses the sneak key when all the other extra infos use shift. It really is rather small issue but doesn't make sense to me to use the sneak key for that if vanilla shift clicking still uses shift when sneak is rebinded.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mentioning all the annoying as hell WAILA stuff
Oh I'm glad that the default is fine for me ^^
But I have to disable the R key for Inventory Tweaks every time. But I generally hold off on changing keybinds until I actually use one, then I just disable the conflicting ones.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I'm glad that the default is fine for me ^^
But I have to disable the R key for Inventory Tweaks every time. But I generally hold off on changing keybinds until I actually use one, then I just disable the conflicting ones.
Fine? When it is about 5 lines of text, below the image of the block you are looking at?!?
It annoys the hell out of me having WAILA harvestablity installed. Unless I am in a pack with Iguana Tweaks/mining levels changes... I don't need that sort of information

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Fine? When it is about 5 lines of text, below the image of the block you are looking at?!?
It annoys the hell out of me having WAILA harvestablity installed. Unless I am in a pack with Iguana Tweaks/mining levels changes... I don't need that sort of information
I guess that depends on your GUI size and what you're looking at. And the image of the block is to the left of the text.
Yeah, Waila harvestability also annoys me most of the time.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I guess that depends on your GUI size and what you're looking at. And the image of the block is to the left of the text.
Yeah, Waila harvestability also annoys me most of the time.
Harvestability, and all the addons, stick so much useless text below the image...
Like light level... when will I need that, when there's CodeChickenCore?
Effective tool? If you don't know whether stone/ores need a pickaxe, then you shouldn't be playing modded MC!

Reactions: RedBoss and ljfa