Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I suppose it's my turn with an irk. I hate it when you build something and it looks cool, but the material is illogical. For example, I used a forestry tree's wood to build a blood god for my blood magic room because it looked like flesh with a gash in it. Another player on the server comes, takes a look, and says "wtf of this, the god of the Forest in your BM room?" Completely reasonable, but it's a bit bothersome when people can't look at a block and not see it as a beautiful body for a blood god, but as wood. Or what really gets me is when people complain about flying airship bases being made of stone. Seriously people, it doesn't matter what the block IS, it's what it LOOKS like...

stentninja

Jul 29, 2019
What irks me is the fact pranks go tooooo far like I don't know making the gravit suit for gregtech by hand finding out the next day friend crashs the server no back ups found :( then minimaps leading to no where in the over world but to a blaze spawned in the nether......

TheGreatKamina

Jul 29, 2019
What irks me most about Minecraft is the fact that every SMP multiplayer server I try to play on is a lag-filled piece of crap with artificial borders on the world and a lot of the modpack items banned due to various "cheating" issues. I'm sick of it, and sick of having to go back to lonely SSP worlds where there's nobody to interact with.
Related to that, the vast number of servers that are so loaded down with plugins, automatic chat spam asking for donations, random prizes and things, etc., that it ruins the feel of the game. Usually you can find one or two good, small servers (usually whitelisted) where people are friendly and cooperative with each other, and the owners tend to be very lasseiz-faire - these are quite enjoyable to play on if you can find one (let me know if you do).

Things that irk me:
Just about everything that's been done with vanilla mobs since beta (Dinnerbone...), except maybe bats.
Having an odd number of wooden planks.
People spelling quartz with an 's'.
Lots of mods add things that greatly outclass railways as a mode of transportion. I really like trains, and would like to see them used more often.
Clay being hard to get in large amounts. Really, in vanilla it's only a building material...
Boat controls being broken for no good reason. Seriously, did no one try the controls out before releasing them?
While I'm on the subject, boats are apparently made of tissue paper.
Intermediate crafting steps. I'll put up with them a little, but some mods overdo it way too much.
Mods that eat diamonds like no tomorrow, for no good reason.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Boat controls being broken for no good reason. Seriously, did no one try the controls out before releasing them?
While I'm on the subject, boats are apparently made of tissue paper..
I hate this one too. One of the updates made it so that you can't break a boat while sitting in it. Now literally every time I exit the boat it floats out into the ocean or goes ahead and breaks. And one of the updates made it so that you can only steer while pressing W.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
There are 28 different potions in MC 1.7.10, which is one more than how many recipes (for adding gunpowder and turning into splash potions) I can program into three ME Interfaces. So, I have to use four Interfaces as well as four ME Import Buses to pull the potions out of the brewing stand, which in turn makes my auto-brewing setup use 25 AE2 channels, which is one more than can be carried by three non-dense cables. Two AE2 irks in one!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok I have one:

The very-limited depth of the world. In "Mine"craft, I should be exploring vertically, not horizontally.

Its for very good performance reasons, but I still wish I could one day say "I delved too deep..." after digging to level 4043 and running into a balrog.
Must say that the ATG world gen helped a bit with this. Settling on a mountain(side) you often have 200+ vertical blocks to mine down. And it is really cool now with the COFH ore gen that actually spawn ores up in the mountains as well :p

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I have one:

The very-limited depth of the world. In "Mine"craft, I should be exploring vertically, not horizontally.

Its for very good performance reasons, but I still wish I could one day say "I delved too deep..." after digging to level 4043 and running into a balrog.
It'd certainly be doable, but you'd need to alter the max world height. Hell, use change all the coordinates from ints to longs, even Y, and you could get a world whose volume could comfortably hold a dozen suns. Yes, I calculated this once.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It'd certainly be doable, but you'd need to alter the max world height. Hell, use change all the coordinates from ints to longs, even Y, and you could get a world whose volume could comfortably hold a dozen suns. Yes, I calculated this once.
Get programming. Ignore the fact that modders have essentially established its impossible please, I just want my damn superelevation.

Launcelot_J

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I have one:

Why isn't this a thing? I need this in my minecraft...

Alao, geostrata should play into this somehow: the different miningspeeds are phenomenal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Certainly, so long as your game is a fully moddable minecraft clone.
It'll be loosely inspired by Minecraft, and about a dozen other things, with some similar mechanics and the ability to modify your world as you see fit and such. Modability and modularity are things me and my team are focusing on a good deal. Mods add longevity, so it'd be moronic to have such a game to not have modding tools. It'll also not look a damn thing like Minecraft, in terms of graphics. Think more along the lines of this:

Reactions: Pyure